Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

Newbie Here

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everybody, I just took the plunge and moved into the DSLR ranks with a Pentax K - 70. I have been on a disability retirement for 20 years and I am largely confined to a wheelchair, though I can stand for short periods. I am also in need of my O2 tanks and so my base will be my Jazzy 1170 XL which is a workhorse. There are few trails that I cannot take, just need to be done before my O2 runs out 3 or so hours per bottle. I cannot get my chair to a beach sand, where there are steps, or where there are no bridges at least 3 feet wide.

I just bought a used Pentax K 70 DSLR off of Ebay with a claimed 1,758 shutter count. The kit supposedly comes with 5 lenses. They are --

1. Pentax 16mm –45mm – f/4 to f/22
2. Pentax 35mm f/2

3. Pentax 80mm – 200mm f/4.5 to f/32
4. Pentax 80mm – 320mm f/4.5 to f/38

5. Sigma EX 105 mm f/2.8 to f/32

Prior to this I had a Pentax SF 10 SLR that has now given up the ghost. I do not think it is worth fixing, is there anything I should pull off of it prior to trashing it? This older Kit had 2 Autofocus lenses.

6. Pentax 28 mm - 70 mm f/4 to f/22
7. Access 80 mm - 200 mm f/3.8 to f/32

I think that lenses 6 and 7 will work on my new camera, with Lens 6 being close to Lens 1 and Lens 7 being close to Lens 3, with Lens 7 being just a little faster even though it is older. Is there any problem connecting these Pentax SLR Lenses to my new Pentax DSLR Camera?

Also my kids got me a present about 30 years ago of a manual lens off of QVC. It is one of those low cost manual focus types with Pentax, Cannon, and Nikkon adapters. It is

8. QVC HQ Optics 500 mm F/8 Lens

If I try to hook this up to my DSLR will I be hurting the cropped sensor? It wasn't the greatest lens on my SLR, but I wonder if I can get used to it on the DSLR. Alternatively, Ebay has a lens

9. 1,300 that with the 2 times Barlow goes to 2,600 mm f/8

(are they called that in Photography, it was what we called them on telescopes)

I know this is a very slow lens, but is it worth $190 and will it hurt my new Camera body? The lens can be seen at

Opteka 650-1300mm (1300-2600mm) Telephoto Lens for Pentax Digital SLR Cameras 814578024531 | eBay

What additional lenses should I keep my eye out for? I want to at least experiment in macro photography. Should I invest in Barlow Lenses and other specialty adapters?

Filters:

1. UV Filters I already know enough to ensure that each lens has a UV Filter for protection at all times.

2. Polarizing Filters -- do I want circular or regular? Should every lens have 1, or 2 if I need both circular and regular polarization.
3. Neutral Density Filters -- Do I need for every lens, or can I skip some?
4. Other Filters -- What other filters are recommended and why are they important?

Flash:

I am not sure how good of a flash the camera comes with. It seems to be about 3 inches high with a upside down u shaped window going down to camera body. The flash itself appears to have either 2 bars made up of several LEDs or has two 1 inch or so long elemends above the hot shoe.

What should I be looking for in a flash? I have seen reasonably priced master/slave battery operated flash that can be had for under $40. Are they worthwhile or should I stick with major brands and if so what are they?

I have also seen some flash units that appear to encircle the lens. Are these of any value?

Finally, what type of lighting is recommended for interior video shooting using the x-70.

Cleaning and Tools

I have seen numerous cleaning kits. Beyond the dust bulb, lens brush, dusting brush, Qtips (special type ????) Cleaning solution bottle (what type(s) of solution are recommended), lens tissues, and micro fiber cloths what is suggested?

How often do I need to clean the CMOS-C Sensor? Are the little kits sold on EBAY etc for around $3.69 for 10 swabs the best way to go, or is this something I should avoid? I used to put in a cleaning tape on my analog Mimi DV heads and they worked good.

With tools the main 2 items I do not have are the Japanese Industrial Standard Screwdrivers and Lens Spanners. I have an excellent Leatherman tool a great supply of various pliers including mini pliers, and various auto/home tools picked up over 60 years of being a do it yourselfer. I have been told my new lenses are fungus free, but will not know for sure until later in this week. What other tools do you folks recommend?

Finally, is the SWX - 70 very good at being a DVR? If so what lenses should I use and do I need any lighting?

Thank you in advance for any answers you can give me. I look forward to joining the community.

04-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard.
04-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

Plenty of information is available here under " cameras " and " lenses "

these charts also might be of interest

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

regarding macro photography, you might want to consider one of members of the Pentax 100mm F2.8 Marco family: the DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR, or the older DFA 100mm F2.8 Macro, the FA 100mm F2.8 Macro or the F 100mm F2.8 Macro

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-28-2019 at 04:59 PM.
04-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank You

Thank you for your rapid reply.

My new camera is a significant investment and I really want to take care of it while also using it a lot. I will compare my lenses to the chart when they arrive on Wednesday.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should ensure is in my cleaning kit? I am a newbee and probably do not know enough to even ask the right questions yet. Sorry about that.

04-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I can tell, your questions are fine

I highly recommend that you look through the information you can find under " Articles "

15 Beginner FAQ's for Pentax DSLR Users - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

also read any manuals, " in depth review " and " user reviews " for your equipment

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-29-2019 at 07:40 AM.
04-29-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, remember the most important thing is... to enjoy your photography and not to get too "wrapped round the axle" with all this technical malarky.
04-30-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Original Poster
Realizing My Dream

I am finally getting a chance to realize my dream. Years ago, I bought what I thought was a fairly good start up kit with my SF 10.

3 years later my daughter kept pestering me to let her borrow it for a school trip. Since she was getting into photography taking courses on developing her film at the school dark room lab etc I foolishly said yes, unlike the previous 2 trips.

You guessed it, she put it in a bag along with a bottle of sunscreen that she could not take 2 seconds to shut, and I got a camera back that would never need to worry about getting a sunburn. It was ruined, but at least the lenses were okay. WQell I had to send a never ending seies of kids to school which along with a disability retirement at 45 meant no replacement. I made do with a string of point and shoots -- the last one of which was a GE X-5 with 14.1 megapixels and a 10 x optical zoom. But it was not my old Pentax.

Last November my wife gave me a copy of Affinity Photo and it was instant love. The old GE was going to have to be retired. After looking around I got what I consider to be a pretty good deal for my Pentax K-20. In the 25 years or so since my old camera got ruined I shifted from walking around to driving my wheelchair around, so I will not be able to wander along the edges of streams etc, but it will still be a fulfilled dream for me.So yeah, I plan on using it most every day. I also have 3 grandkids that live here with their parents. I plan on teaching them to love what they can do with a camera and how much they can improve the photo with the software.

Thanks again for your folks kind directions. As soon as I can figure out my Paypal I will make a donation.

05-03-2019, 12:32 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum Proudmale !

Kind regards,
Ben
05-17-2019, 08:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum