Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2019, 06:25 PM   #1

Hello form southern Indiana

Hello, everyone!

I'm located in southern Indiana and am a new Pentax 6x7 owner. I have shot, developed and printed 120 film before but it has been a long while, 10 years if memory serves me.

I am planning on getting my newly acquired 6x7 kit CLAed to get it up and running (it has been sitting in a camera bag for a number of years). I am planning to then shoot & develop my own B&W film with this new to me kit.

A couple of the lenses have what looks like fungus - it looks like the pattern of veins on the back of a maple leaf. I am hoping these lenses can be salvaged and will be usable. I do have a 75mm f/4 that looks like it has no fungus, so if the lenses with fungus aren't repairable, at least I'll have the 75mm to workk with.

This is my first Pentax 6x7 but not my first 120 format camera. It struck me today how quirky and offbeat 120/220 film cameras are; they all have their own distinct build which gives them each a different personality.

The 6x7 is a comically big camera but when I open the back and look at that giant 6x7 cm. film gate, the size & weight of the camera doesn't matter.

If anyone can offer some insight into fungus and the 6x7 lenses, that would be great. Are my lenses repairable?

I have read that Pentax 6x7 lenses are prone to fungus; can anyone comment on whether that's accurate and if it is, why are these lenses prone to fungus?

Thanks in advance!

05-06-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Fungus can affect any lens. I don't think any particular lens is more susceptible to it than another. Except, perhaps, it could be argued that zooms may be more prone than primes - due to air being sucked in due to the zooming function.
Some lenses can be cleaned, others not. Fungus, once removed may remain visible on lens surfaces, as the (relatively soft) lens coatings can be damaged when fungus has grown on the lens element.
05-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Australia.
05-06-2019, 08:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from Northern Indiana

05-07-2019, 05:45 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by herrbarnack Quote
Hello, everyone!

I'm located in southern Indiana and am a new Pentax 6x7 owner. I have shot, developed and printed 120 film before but it has been a long while, 10 years if memory serves me.

I am planning on getting my newly acquired 6x7 kit CLAed to get it up and running (it has been sitting in a camera bag for a number of years). I am planning to then shoot & develop my own B&W film with this new to me kit.

A couple of the lenses have what looks like fungus - it looks like the pattern of veins on the back of a maple leaf. I am hoping these lenses can be salvaged and will be usable. I do have a 75mm f/4 that looks like it has no fungus, so if the lenses with fungus aren't repairable, at least I'll have the 75mm to workk with.

This is my first Pentax 6x7 but not my first 120 format camera. It struck me today how quirky and offbeat 120/220 film cameras are; they all have their own distinct build which gives them each a different personality.

The 6x7 is a comically big camera but when I open the back and look at that giant 6x7 cm. film gate, the size & weight of the camera doesn't matter.

If anyone can offer some insight into fungus and the 6x7 lenses, that would be great. Are my lenses repairable?

I have read that Pentax 6x7 lenses are prone to fungus; can anyone comment on whether that's accurate and if it is, why are these lenses prone to fungus?

Thanks in advance!
Welcome from Louisville, KY.
05-07-2019, 12:09 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that "bad boy".
05-17-2019, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
Have fun with the 6x7, I have been tempted to try them.