Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

new to pentax

hey, my name is brett and this is my first pentax camera.
i bought the k10d and the 10-17 fisheye along with the kit lens.
i really want to duplicate my old nikon setup with a very big aperture VERY SHARP lens. sadly i haven't found a single lens (in stock at least) that meets this requirement, what i've found is 28mm 1.8 sigma which i think would be a nice choice, wondering about opinions on this along with any other options, just a 28 to 80 prime somewhere in that range but 1.8 or larger max aperture. thanks a lot and excited to be on a new forum to learn about my new camera.

02-28-2007, 11:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brechdofragen Quote
hey, my name is brett and this is my first pentax camera.
i bought the k10d and the 10-17 fisheye along with the kit lens.
i really want to duplicate my old nikon setup with a very big aperture VERY SHARP lens. sadly i haven't found a single lens (in stock at least) that meets this requirement, what i've found is 28mm 1.8 sigma which i think would be a nice choice, wondering about opinions on this along with any other options, just a 28 to 80 prime somewhere in that range but 1.8 or larger max aperture. thanks a lot and excited to be on a new forum to learn about my new camera.
Hi and welcome, Brett!

Hmm...looking for a lens? The guys here have a ton of opinions on that. I hear from a few guys that the Sigma you are eyeing is a good choice. Also if you are sticking to primes, you have a TON of choices! The Limiteds are simple outstanding! The FA50/1.4 is a constant hit too.

If you are comfortable with manual focus and buying used, here's a thread I started asking people to post up shots with their 50mm "old schools". I ended up getting an M50/1.7.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/3260-show-me-some-m-50-1-7-1-4-shots.html

Again, welcome and happy hunting!
03-01-2007, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome, Brett.

The pentax limited are really something. Part of fun using pentax lenses is about waiting patiently and dreaming about them...

Pentax lenses can be as sharp as other competition brands with much cheaper prices and the 3D effect is something in another realm
03-01-2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[QUOTE=roentarre;31878]Welcome, Brett.

The pentax limited are really something. Part of fun using pentax lenses is about waiting patiently and dreaming about them...

Pentax lenses can be as sharp as other competition brands with much cheaper prices and the 3D effect is something in another realm[/QUOTE]

what is the 3D effect?

03-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
[QUOTE=brechdofragen;31914]
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Welcome, Brett.

Pentax lenses can be as sharp as other competition brands with much cheaper prices and the 3D effect is something in another realm[/QUOTE]

what is the 3D effect?
Hi Brett, Welcome to the forums. Here is a somewhat good example of the "3D effect" istDS FA 50 1.4 f6.7 at 1/45, 200 ISO

The bokeh of these lenses is such that the forground seems to pop out at you.

NaCl(the FA 50 1.4 is one of my favorite lenses)H2O
03-01-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

hi and welcome!

I can't afford anymore lenses then the one I got, so I can't help you....
just wanted to say hello

cheers

randy
03-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
[QUOTE=NaClH2O;31926]
QuoteOriginally posted by brechdofragen Quote

Hi Brett, Welcome to the forums. Here is a somewhat good example of the "3D effect" istDS FA 50 1.4 f6.7 at 1/45, 200 ISO

The bokeh of these lenses is such that the forground seems to pop out at you.

NaCl(the FA 50 1.4 is one of my favorite lenses)H2O
wow, that's pretty powerful, definitely excited. got about 1500 dollars to spend on my camera to get it the way i want, but for now i just want a prime, so i'm going to look for one of the 50's or that 28 sigma

03-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

[quote=brechdofragen;31914]
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Welcome, Brett.

what is the 3D effect?
The 3D effect is created by the nice and smooth transition from focus to out of focus that many of the pentax lenses exhibit, here the 31mm f/1.8:

31mm/1.8
03-01-2007, 07:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. Can't speak to the lense question but am looking forward to your posts and examples.