Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2019, 11:34 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Greetings from South Africa

Hello everyone

I am not new to photography having shot on 35 mm film since the 1980s. I migrated to digital in 2003 when I was given a Kodak digital camera as a gift. Since then I've owned an Olympus "point and shoot" pocket camera; and two Pentax's - the K100D which I bought second hand and more recently a K50 which is my "everyday" camera.

I shoot a lot of "people" shots - gatherings, parties, weddings, etc.

I would love to shoot landscapes - but I don't travel enough. Must look for more interesting subjects to shoot.

The camera was supplied with a DAL 18-55 mm lens, but I found the the DA 18-55 lens that came with the K100D takes sharper photos at the same settings. I recently bought a DA 50 mm f1.8 lens which takes even sharper pictures at the same settings.

I also have a DA 70 - 300 zoom lens which also takes sharper pictures than the DAL 18-55.

I therefore don't use the DAL much anymore.

For that matter, I don't use the K100D much anymore either.

Sometimes its useful to have two bodies - one with the 70 - 300 mm and the other with the 50 mm - especially at important functions where I need to capture people "on the move"

Well that's me.

Feel free to respond
Roger

05-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums.
05-16-2019, 02:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger54 Quote
Hello everyone

I am not new to photography having shot on 35 mm film since the 1980s. I migrated to digital in 2003 when I was given a Kodak digital camera as a gift. Since then I've owned an Olympus "point and shoot" pocket camera; and two Pentax's - the K100D which I bought second hand and more recently a K50 which is my "everyday" camera.

I would love to shoot landscapes - but I don't travel enough. Must look for more interesting subjects to shoot.

The camera was supplied with a DAL 18-55 mm lens, but I found the the DA 18-55 lens that came with the K100D takes sharper photos at the same settings. I recently bought a DA 50 mm f1.8 lens which takes even sharper pictures at the same settings.

I also have a DA 70 - 300 zoom lens which also takes sharper pictures than the DAL 18-55.

I therefore don't use the DAL much anymore.

For that matter, I don't use the K100D much anymore either.

Sometimes its useful to have two bodies - one with the 70 - 300 mm and the other with the 50 mm - especially at important functions where I need to capture people "on the move"

Well that's me.

Feel free to respond
Roger
Greetings too from a South African living in the UK. You've come to a fine forum with friendly people. Hope you enjoy your time here - and ask if you need to!

Best wishes.
05-16-2019, 04:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Greetings, Roger, and welcome to Pentax Forums. You will find much inspiration and support here, not to mention a robust but friendly argument on fine points of photography should you be so-minded. Your country is well-represented by several keen supporters here, so don’t hold back in showing us what you can do, when you’re ready.

You may have heard that the K-50 can sometimes develop a problem with the aperture control, but it is well-known and discussed here, and rectification is available, if you experience that issue.

Please enjoy your time here.

05-16-2019, 04:15 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Roger.

Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)
05-16-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

I can't imagine it's too hard to find landscapes worth capturing in South Africa. Plan ahead. Get up early
05-16-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Roger54 Quote
I would love to shoot landscapes - but I don't travel enough. Must look for more interesting subjects to shoot

Street phjotos are always a great way of showing both everyday life as well as unique cultural scenes.

I agree with Sandy, surely South Africa offers you nearby places worth capturing. They might be ordinary to you, but they will be exotic to most of us on PF. Think about what it is about your area you'd really like to show us all, what makes it "home" to you, try to capture that and I am sure you will come up with some great images.
05-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #8
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.