Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
05-17-2019, 05:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day from Australia :)

Hi all,

I have a K-50 and had a K-x before that. I live in West Gippsland, Victoria which sadly is starting to lose the country feel as house development encroaches.

I enjoy attempting to photograph the lovely wrens and finches we have, also the various parrots and wedge-tail eagles.
I also do equestrian photography as both of my kids are in pony club and we are also involved in carriage driving. I breed the occasional foal which are fun to photograph

I'm usually on the Auto setting and trying to branch out into Manual and look forward to following the various forums

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-17-2019, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome from the not-quite-rural Adelaide Hills!

For the type of photography you enjoy, getting off full auto should improve your images. There is an enormous amount of information here: enjoy
05-17-2019, 08:12 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum
05-17-2019, 11:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Callanish Quote
G'day from Australia
Right back at ya !!

05-18-2019, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You should feel right at home here as we have lots and lots of Aussies onboard here, you just met three of them but there are tons more still to meet and help if you need it.

So, welcome aboard!! Glad you could join us!

As one mentioned take that K-50 off auto and you'll enjoy it more. I have one too, mine's white and I've named it the White Knight. I use M mode most often (because my first Pentax camera was a K1000 film camera) but have used TAV depending on what I'm shooting, but there is TV, and SV that's better than auto any day.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 05-19-2019 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Spelling lesson ;)
05-18-2019, 04:23 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! I haven't been to Australia yet, but I hope to visit it soon.
I look forward to seeing your pictures!
05-18-2019, 05:53 AM - 3 Likes   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day from Mosquito Creek. No housing developments encroaching here. Population 1 if I am at home.

05-19-2019, 02:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
I haven't been to Australia yet, but I hope to visit it soon.
Do let me know if you're passing through Adelaide, Rob!
05-19-2019, 08:27 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Do let me know if you're passing through Adelaide, Rob!
Thank you Sandy, I am hoping things fall in place for a visit in April of 2020, I will let you know.
05-19-2019, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #10
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF from another Gippslander. I share your lament about the loss of rural character in West Gippsland. We visit Bunyip and Drouin often and have seen the changes over the years. I think the sign should say, "Drouin - the D is silent".

For all that, there are still many lovely places to visit in the area. And plenty to photograph.

One unsolicited tip for moving on from Auto. For birds and moving horses, try TAv mode and aim to keep the shutter speed (controlled by the front dial) at 1/400th or faster whenever you can. (1/800th makes a big difference for birds hopping around a tree, or 1/1250th for birds in flight.) The shutter speed on your sample shot (1/250th) is too slow. The aperture setting (rear dial) will depend on your lens. Consumer zooms like the DA 55-300 f4-5.8 benefit from narrowing the aperture to f8 if you can. If you have the PLM version, you can get away with wide open more often, which allows more flexibility with the shutter speed. With the K-50, try to cap the aperture at 1600 if possible. You can go higher (3200) in sunny conditions in order to get a faster shutter speed, but in poor light you will get a lot of noise and loss of contrast.

There's a thread here devoted to photos of horses: A horse, of course - PentaxForums.com. You might post there, or on one of the many other subject threads.
05-20-2019, 12:51 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, we're all here to help you... and to spend your money with all of our advice.
05-20-2019, 08:18 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome

Thanks for the tips photolady95 and Des, will have a try.
Sadly arthritis has started in my fingers so I find it tricky to change things on the fly.

Thought I would share another photo, weather was drizzly but I am still happy with it
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
05-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thought I would share another photo, weather was drizzly but I am still happy with it
Lovely looking part of the world
05-25-2019, 05:56 AM - 2 Likes   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

hought I would share another photo, weather was drizzly but I am still happy with it
Bad Weather Makes Good Pictures, the cloud shapes and texture, with hills emerging from the rain/haze make the background much more interesting, and create a better result than a perfect cloudless blue sky would,
05-25-2019, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sadly arthritis has started in my fingers so I find it tricky to change things on the fly.
Save the settings you use the most as User1, User2, etc. Then you just need to spin the mode dial. I reserve User1 for birds in flight, because when you want it, you want it quickly!

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Bad Weather Makes Good Pictures
Rob started a wonderful thread which proves this point: Bad Weather Makes Good Pictures - PentaxForums.com