Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #1

Hi there!

Found this forum when I started playing a round a bit more with my K S2, specially wondering about the autofocus issue I am having ( 1st DSLR, so thought it was "normal" for the auto focus to be continually hunting, until my husband got annoyed with how long it took me to take photos, started using it, & informed me, that this indeed was not normal!
Hoping to learn more about this camera, & figure out if a lens change will do the trick ( & get more hooked on photography along the way)

05-18-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Debra

Welcome to the forum.
Which lens are you using? Inside (in the dark) or outside in sunlight?

Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)
05-18-2019, 11:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
I am using the kit lens SMC DA L 1:4-5.6 18-50mm DC WR RE
when pressing the shutter button 1/2 way on AF mode, just get a "doo-doo-doo-doo" sound & the lens seems to move backwards & forwards.
05-19-2019, 12:06 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DebraC Quote
I am using the kit lens SMC DA L 1:4-5.6 18-50mm DC WR RE
when pressing the shutter button 1/2 way on AF mode, just get a "doo-doo-doo-doo" sound & the lens seems to move backwards & forwards.
Thanks for that Debra.
In the dark, or in the light? How far from the object you're trying to focus on are you? What type of object are you trying to focus on?
Can you try to focus on something with a texture - not a blank wall - and let me know if it does it? I would recommend standing at least 1-2m away from the object you're trying to focus on.

Last edited by MarkJerling; 05-19-2019 at 12:25 AM.
05-19-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome Debra.
05-19-2019, 02:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Are you in autofocus mode AF-C or AF-S? C means continuous and will auto focus forever until you click the shutter...
05-19-2019, 09:28 AM   #7

Original Poster
Using AFS & AFA, been using the camera for a number of months, so most light conditions & subject matter. It eventually focuses, just takes patience. I have been getting good photos ( although missed many "street shots" as the subject has long gone by the time it focuses)
I have tried the various AF active area settings (11,5,sel & spot), with no discernible difference. I will be trying to get another lens (2nd hand) to see if it is a lens malfunction. (have taken the lens off, checked the pins on camera & lens, everything looks straight & clean).

So, just tried taking a textured wall, standing about 2 meters away, & still "hunts". In order to get it to focus, the shutter button has to be pressed down 1/2 way, a sound occurs, then nothing, button released, & repeated, for as many times as it takes until the beep & small red box. Thanks for the suggestions & help- really appreciated!

05-19-2019, 02:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
05-19-2019, 05:12 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DebraC Quote
Using AFS & AFA, been using the camera for a number of months, so most light conditions & subject matter. It eventually focuses, just takes patience. I have been getting good photos ( although missed many "street shots" as the subject has long gone by the time it focuses)
I have tried the various AF active area settings (11,5,sel & spot), with no discernible difference. I will be trying to get another lens (2nd hand) to see if it is a lens malfunction. (have taken the lens off, checked the pins on camera & lens, everything looks straight & clean).

So, just tried taking a textured wall, standing about 2 meters away, & still "hunts". In order to get it to focus, the shutter button has to be pressed down 1/2 way, a sound occurs, then nothing, button released, & repeated, for as many times as it takes until the beep & small red box. Thanks for the suggestions & help- really appreciated!
I do wonder if there's a fault with your lens - or the camera's focussing module. Can you try LiveView focus and see if it behaves any better with that than focussing through the viewfinder?

Don't use a blank wall - try something with texture, like a curtain or a shrub.
05-19-2019, 09:45 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
05-21-2019, 11:04 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, I hope you managed to get your issue resolved soon.