Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2019, 07:02 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
New to forum, sort of, been stalking over a year. Not new to Pentax.

Still have my ME Super and legacy lenses. Purchased used K-r about 1 year ago along with DA 55-300 WR to take photos of my daughter’s HS soccer games (yep, old dad). For evening games under the lights the 55-300 is very stressed down to highest ISO. So, I tried and got some decent shots using my manual 135mm f2.5 and the catch-in- focus feature — because it is difficult to focus. But, with some practice and fiddling I got to where about 50% of shots were actually in focus, and they were fairly sharp. Now thinking of getting a used manual 300mm at f2.8 or nearly as fast so that I can get lots of reach as well. Autofocus in that length is beyond my justification. But, the catch me in focus if you can game is not fun. Searched about here and elsewhere and see that any AF adapter results in about a 1.5 stop down (because the adapter IF’s apparently) thus defeating the need for speed. Does anyone know if there is an adapter that only fits between Lens and camera to communicate with the contacts and then wires out that information to a motor device mounted on the hot shoe or using the pod thread; then, the motor uses a pulley to turn the focus ring on the lens? Seems to me it would work without a degradation.


Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 06-02-2019 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Masked obscenity
06-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 48,974
Any such adapter will need to be a teleconverter, otherwise you'll lose the ability to focus to infinity. The only adapter that adds AF is the Pentax-F 1.7x; the DA 1.4x will pass through autofocus, but only saves you half a stop.

In your case I would say that rather than going for a faster lens, you'd benefit from a body with better autofocus, such as the K-5 II (or newer) or the K-70. Even with the standard 55-300mm, you should get better results.

Pair the K-70 with the 55-300mm PLM and you'll really be in business! You can even use this lens with the K-r if you don't mind always shooting wide-open.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Washington Cascades
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,897
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
any AF adapter results in about a 1.5 stop down (because the adapter IF’s apparently)
There is (AFAIK) only one AF adapter and that is the Pentax 1.7x AF adapter : SMC Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter Reviews - Pentax K-mount Teleconverters and Adapters - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database With teleconverters you lose light because you are passing through more layers of glass. A 2x costs 2 stops, 1.4x costs 1 stop, the 1.7x is in between.

The system you describe with wires and pulleys does not exist of course. I doubt that something like that could even be built. A manual 300 f/2.8 does exist: SMC Pentax-A* 300mm F2.8 ED [IF] Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database but with pricing over $2,000 I doubt that will work for you. You might be able to find a 300mm f/4 that would be priced reasonably.


Honestly if you are getting 50% of your sports shots in focus using CIF you are doing exceptionally well. Adams suggestion of a newer body with higher ISO abilities is likely the most cost effective route. Combine that with something like the Pentax A*300 f/4 and you might be able to get closer to what you want. If you can get by with 200mm the Pentax A 200 f/4 is priced quite reasonably. SMC Pentax-A 200mm F4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Original Poster
Thanks for reply. I have seen those lenses and drooled. The 200mm is especially appealing because it is at a possibly doable price point for an awesome lens. There are some old manual 300’s f2.8 I’ve come across for under 150, and was hoping for a doable adapter. For my needs I’m not really concerned much about the overall lens quality. I’m fairly confident that what I described as an adapter would work, but it would be very ugly and likely have it’s faults. I doubt I was first to think of it, so some developer somewhere probably got laughed out of the conference room. With capture in focus, sometimes (no lots of times) not a single photo in burst is usable, especially in the darker patches of the field, or I just can’t get a focus at all and I give up. It’s a lot of $ for me, but I think in near future I’ll go with that 200mm and then upgrade the body.

06-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #5
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Original Poster
Actually it was the 200 f2.8 at $845 that got me drooling, not the f4
06-01-2019, 09:34 PM   #6
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Original Poster
Thanks for input. Been tossing around need for better camera and had started looking. I guess I figured that is best solution. I have the 55-300 non PLM version of the lens. Does PLM go more open? I thought the same. I’ll look now. If I add another lens it will likely be the 200 at 2.8, which I saw a price drop new to 845. Still a lot, but it would be nice when I grab some bucks for it.
06-02-2019, 03:08 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Gladys, Virginia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,698
I would look at the KP and the 55-300 PLM. The PLM is not a faster aperture lens, but it is a lot faster focusing. The KP is going to give you quite a bit of a boost with regard to high iso performance than your K-r and better auto focus ability to boot. Obviously it is easy to spend someone else's money, but I think with that combo you could do pretty well in all but the worst lighted situations.
06-02-2019, 06:06 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 41,919
Welcome to the forum, I'll just keep quiet and sit in the corner... as I know nothing aboot Pentax autofocus.

06-02-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Kozlok's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,705
Just the K70 or KP upgrade will bring a huge improvement in both ISO and focusing speed. If you need to save a few dollars, a used KS2 will get you 95% of the way there and save a substantial amount of money. I would try the newer camera with the lens you have. If focusing still lag behind, sell the WR and buy the PLM.

Another (expensive) option is the 60-250, but it focuses very slowly. Beautiful photos though.
06-02-2019, 08:34 AM   #10
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,555
You've definitely run into the "gotta spend more money" thing.

The perfect solution is the DFA* 70-200 with the DA 1.4 TC on a K-P.
When shooting sports, a zoom is pretty critical unless you want to be limited to one pat of the field or court.

Stepping back from there....
You can replace the K-P with a K-70 or K-3 and the DFA* 70-200 with a Tamron 70-200. Even though I myself use a K-3, there's a 1.5 stop difference in High ISO performance between the K-3 and K-70/K-P. When you're shooting in the field that can be the difference between 1/100s and 1/250s, and that's huge difference for sports.

300mm 2.8 is not cheap no matter what you do. My 18 year old AF Tamron cost me $1600 and Pentax MF glass tends to be more.

I don't like the focus speed of the 60-250 for action.

The K-P and K-70 both have enhanced high ISO performance allowing you to push your shutter speed up another stop and the DA 55-300 PLM has lightning fast focusing speed. Sometimes I don't realize it's locked focus because it has locked so fast I missed it. You should be able to get good clean images at 1600 ISO with either of those cameras. Unfortunately for you, you're moving into an area of photography that eats money like it grows on trees. Looking at sports photography, no one really does a good job of it with cheap equipment.

But especially if you are shooting outdoors, I'd want a minmum, K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM. Shooting indoor sports, you're going to need 2.8 glass.

Last edited by normhead; 06-02-2019 at 08:45 AM.
06-02-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I would look at the KP and the 55-300 PLM. The PLM is not a faster aperture lens, but it is a lot faster focusing. The KP is going to give you quite a bit of a boost with regard to high iso performance than your K-r and better auto focus ability to boot. Obviously it is easy to spend someone else's money, but I think with that combo you could do pretty well in all but the worst lighted situations.
Thanks! Makes sense. Fast focus is important. So, I looked. Very nice recommendation. More money than I’m willing to spend now but both have some recent price drops, and Ado is throwing in battery grip. Combo would 1.2k. It really does look ideal.

---------- Post added 06-02-19 at 02:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
Just the K70 or KP upgrade will bring a huge improvement in both ISO and focusing speed. If you need to save a few dollars, a used KS2 will get you 95% of the way there and save a substantial amount of money. I would try the newer camera with the lens you have. If focusing still lag behind, sell the WR and buy the PLM.

Another (expensive) option is the 60-250, but it focuses very slowly. Beautiful photos though.
Thanks! Iíll take a look at the Ksp. I did tell myself I wanted to have fun without spending a bunch ó- BUT!

---------- Post added 06-02-19 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, I'll just keep quiet and sit in the corner... as I know nothing aboot Pentax autofocus.
Thanks. Nice folks here are helping to refuel my old photography passion
06-02-2019, 02:29 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Hielands o' Scootlund
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 41,919
QuoteOriginally posted by Rexlawyer Quote
Nice folks here are helping to refuel my old photography passion
Be aware, that kinda talk leads to great expense...
06-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #13
Forum Member




Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You've definitely run into the "gotta spend more money" thing.

The perfect solution is the DFA* 70-200 with the DA 1.4 TC on a K-P.
When shooting sports, a zoom is pretty critical unless you want to be limited to one pat of the field or court.

Stepping back from there....
You can replace the K-P with a K-70 or K-3 and the DFA* 70-200 with a Tamron 70-200. Even though I myself use a K-3, there's a 1.5 stop difference in High ISO performance between the K-3 and K-70/K-P. When you're shooting in the field that can be the difference between 1/100s and 1/250s, and that's huge difference for sports.

300mm 2.8 is not cheap no matter what you do. My 18 year old AF Tamron cost me $1600 and Pentax MF glass tends to be more.

I don't like the focus speed of the 60-250 for action.

The K-P and K-70 both have enhanced high ISO performance allowing you to push your shutter speed up another stop and the DA 55-300 PLM has lightning fast focusing speed. Sometimes I don't realize it's locked focus because it has locked so fast I missed it. You should be able to get good clean images at 1600 ISO with either of those cameras. Unfortunately for you, you're moving into an area of photography that eats money like it grows on trees. Looking at sports photography, no one really does a good job of it with cheap equipment.

But especially if you are shooting outdoors, I'd want a minmum, K-3 and DA 55-300 PLM. Shooting indoor sports, you're going to need 2.8 glass.
So true, so true. When I was a regular shooter in the film era with my ME Super the only sports I shot were some car racing (panning only) and golf. Car racing was way to hard. Lucky to get 1 real keeper on a 36 roll which made it an expensive photo that only went into my personal album, so didn’t do much of that Golf wasn’t to bad if I timed the shot at the end of the swing which gave best facial expressions and no completely blurred club. But, I think getting good pictures at a soccer game, even Girl’s High School is more challenging, and a crazy one at night under poor lights. So many choices; but so little money. I’m giving it thought and appreciate suggestions.
06-02-2019, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 33,555
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Be aware, that kinda talk leads to great expense...
We don't get a commission, honest.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, autofocus, catch in focus, combo, focus, games, iso, kp, lens, look, manual focus, money, motor, plm, pm, post, shots, thanks
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Stalking' a new camera for around 2 years ... ? deeslexia Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 5 06-02-2019 10:17 AM
Nature Stalking the Hunters DLCrow Post Your Photos! 3 04-11-2016 03:51 PM
K-r AF dead (sort of), need service manual of some sort.. minahasa Pentax K-r 2 09-19-2013 11:55 AM
Nature Stalking the Stalkers Colorado CJ Post Your Photos! 5 11-23-2010 01:14 PM
Lizard stalking aphids sawtooth235 Post Your Photos! 3 09-08-2008 06:36 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top