Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Long Time Pentax User, New Member here

Hello I am William living in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada. Photography has been a life long passion of mine introduced to me by my father when I was 5. I bought my first Pentax a Spotmatic II in 1973. Since then I acquired a number of screwmount Pentax cameras (34 of them including a 6x7 I bought in 1977) numerous lenses and accessories. I worked in the photographic industry from1975-2002. First for a photographic industrial supply house and the last 12 years with Polaroid Corp Pro/Business/Industrial Division. I had a colour darkroom that I used right up till 2002 along with my various Pentax Spotmatics.. After I left Polaroid I decided it was time for a complete career change and time to go completely digital (since 1996 I had dabbled with Polaroid's digital cameras).

After being a loyal Pentax user since 1973 the first digital camera I bought was a Minolta Dimage 5 in February 2002. I always felt I was missing something that I had with my Pentax systems but trudged on with the Minolta, not a bad camera at all......but as I went on I wanted a DSLR and I kept looking at what was out there and I always felt Pentax calling me back. Besides one of the beauties of Pentax is almost every lens and accessory I had from my Spotmatics could be used on a Pentax DSLR.

In late 2006 I was looking at my old Pentax cameras and thinking how I missed using them. So in December 2006 I made the plunge back into Pentax. I got a K110D with the 11-55mm DA lens and also bought a Pentax 70-300mm FAJ lens to go with it. Loved the camera and lenses right away. I also had the screw mount adapter and used a number of my SMC Takumar lenses as well.

The only problem to come with the K110D was in late 2007 the built in flash blew out with a rather large cracking sound......but the rest of that camera still worked fine. I did not want to take the camera in a be without it so I continued to use Vivitar 285s and Honeywell 682S's as I had when I wanted more then the built in flash.

In August 2008 I decided time to move up and also get the K110D repaired. I bought a K200D body. Heavier body but again fell in love with it right away. At the same time took in the K110D which they repaired under warranty. I also bought a dedicated off brand flash which was a lot cheaper then the Pentax flash. Within a couple of weeks the flash pooped out.....so I brought it back and they replaced it with another of the same model. A few weeks later this one pooped out as well. So I brought it back and bought the Pentax AF-540FGZ and it is working like a charm to this day.

I used both cameras the K110D and the K200D quite often and sometimes both at the same time. I was always more then pleased with how versatile the equipment is and quality of the photos.

Then in May 2014 I saw the K50 and said, I want one, so I bought one with another 18-55mm this one a WR lens. Again, fell in love with it right away. I still use all 3 cameras but yes the K50 most of all.

In the spring of 2018 I decided was time to convert all my 35mm film images to digital. For this I went to eBay and bought from someone in Japan a mint bellows II with focus rail and slide/negative attachment and lens adapter. I have over 200,000 images that I have been copying to digital with the K50 body and a SMC Takumar 50mm/f1.4 lens. Getting amazing results.

I missed the introduction of the K70 when it came out. But just recently took note of it and ordered one. Been a few days and waiting for it to arrive. When I ordered it I also picked up a Pentax 28-200mm bit of a big sucker of a lens but feels sturdy and so far love how it handles and the results.

Well that is my introduction wordy as it is. I expect to be here a lot, reading more then posting. But glad to be here. William

06-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.

I've been shooting Pentax since 67. 200,000 images is a lot of transfer. You're going to be busy.

I rarely use my 28-200. I you reduce the size of the image from your K-70 to 4000x 2300 or less, it will be fine. Pixel peeping, not so good.
06-24-2019, 09:51 AM   #3

Welcome. A lot of information and discussions here. Helpful, knowledgeable people. You seem to have quite a background and likely can help with discussions.

JB
06-24-2019, 10:11 AM   #4

Quite a "curriculum vitae" you have there. Welcome to PentaxForums. We shall certainly look forward to any photographs, experience and wisdom you share.

06-24-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you for the welcomes so far. This site is almost overwhelming with all that there appears to be here. I am sure I will be stumbling at the beginning. But I am sure I will get a lot of great info here and hope that I have some to share.
06-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, just to give the place a little more of an International flavour.
06-24-2019, 04:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
06-25-2019, 12:16 AM   #8
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi William, welcome from Australia.

06-27-2019, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
May 21, 1973: The 1st photo I ever took with a Pentax a Spotmatic II with a 55mm/f1.8 SMC Takumar. Nothing special about the photo more than it was the 1st. Family get together for the May two four (Victoria Day) Long weekend
Attached Images

Last edited by wjlm; 07-01-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: adding more detail.
06-28-2019, 05:09 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!
07-29-2019, 10:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have had my K70 for almost a month now. Loving it. But my only major complaint is that it does not have the option for AA batteries or and external battery pack. I have 2 rechargeables. The one that came with it and the one that came with my K50. So now I am using the 2 Pentax batteries for the K70 and AAs in the K50. But I have drained both batteries for that K70 on shoots. So I am going to have to get another 1 or 2 Pentax batteries which is a bit of a pain. My fault I guess for not noticing that when checking out the specs for the K70. But aside from that the camera is great.
08-03-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wjlm Quote
I have had my K70 for almost a month now. Loving it. But my only major complaint is that it does not have the option for AA batteries or and external battery pack. I have 2 rechargeables. The one that came with it and the one that came with my K50. So now I am using the 2 Pentax batteries for the K70 and AAs in the K50. But I have drained both batteries for that K70 on shoots. So I am going to have to get another 1 or 2 Pentax batteries which is a bit of a pain. My fault I guess for not noticing that when checking out the specs for the K70. But aside from that the camera is great.
Welcome William.

Yes the K-50 was the last Pentax DSLR camera to take AA batteries. The flagship Pentax models (e.g. K-5 series, K-3 series) take the larger Dli90 battery, which runs for longer. They (and the KP) can also be used with a grip to give extra battery capacity. The entry to mid level models like the K-50 and K-70 prioritise light weight instead. But on the positive side, spare Dli109 batteries are a lot cheaper than changing the body; the grips are expensive too.

The battery from your K-50 is 5 years old now, so it won't hold its charge like a new one. Get a new one and keep the old one for emergencies. From experience I'd suggest a genuine Pentax battery will give better performance than a generic one over the long term, although many users have been pleased with the better third party models like Wasabi.
08-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #13
Ash
Community Manager

Welcome William.
Thanks for the intro, and hope you enjoy the forum.
08-03-2019, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Always OEM

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome William.

Yes the K-50 was the last Pentax DSLR camera to take AA batteries. The flagship Pentax models (e.g. K-5 series, K-3 series) take the larger Dli90 battery, which runs for longer. They (and the KP) can also be used with a grip to give extra battery capacity. The entry to mid level models like the K-50 and K-70 prioritise light weight instead. But on the positive side, spare Dli109 batteries are a lot cheaper than changing the body; the grips are expensive too.

The battery from your K-50 is 5 years old now, so it won't hold its charge like a new one. Get a new one and keep the old one for emergencies. From experience I'd suggest a genuine Pentax battery will give better performance than a generic one over the long term, although many users have been pleased with the better third party models like Wasabi.

Thank you for your reply. Yes I got my K50 in 2014. Funny part is I would have expected less life from it compared to the new battery. But I am getting about the same life per charge from each. I do plan to get another Pentax battery for the K70 and another AA holder for my K50. From experience I have found for me anyway that most times it is better to go with OEM equipment. All my equipment is Pentax and Manfrotto. I have been using Pentax since 1973 and Manfrotto since 1980
08-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Current Equipment Equipment I Use

Here is my current DSLRs, lenses and external flash I use....Yes I do use all 4 cameras but yes currently the K70 mostly. I also have a number of screw mount lenses I use from time to time depending on the need. The bellows as you can see is a screw mount bellows. I got that on ebay just over a year ago from Japan and it came in original packaging and documentation. I use the for digitizing my 35mm film. I originally was using the K50 but now use the K70. When I am done with the 35mm film then I will digitize my (Pentax) 6x7 film and then my (Graflex) 4x5 film.

On a sad note. I had my camera bag at work with me. A young guy (22) I work with asked me what kind of camera I had in the bag. I told him 4 Pentax camera. He said Pentax? Never heard of it.
Attached Images

« Hello | Ciao »