Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #1

Greetings from Tacoma

Hi all,
New member, found the site looking for date info on a nice Spotmatic I just got from shopgoodwill. I heard Fuji is starting to make BW film again.
So I've already gotten a good tip on here, that the k10d is a good go-to for digital? I'd be interested in opinions.
I'd been using little Canon cameras until I got an android phone but want to get to a DSLR that will last a while.

06-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

Kind regards,
Mark
06-30-2019, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eriphila Quote
So I've already gotten a good tip on here, that the k10d is a good go-to for digital? I'd be interested in opinions.
Depending on your budget. I'd aim for a K7, K5, K-5ii, K3 or newer camera. The K10D will do, but you'll get better images from a newer camera.
06-30-2019, 09:11 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.

06-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm actually from Tacoma!!

I 2nd what Mark said... I think you want to get anything post K-5. If you took my K-1, K-3 away... but then gave me my old K-5, would not be upset.
07-01-2019, 03:13 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, enjoy all that the forum has to offer.
07-01-2019, 08:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome and advice. What's the best model using aa batteries or some other off the shelf discontinue-proof power?

07-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by eriphila Quote
Thanks for the welcome and advice. What's the best model using aa batteries or some other off the shelf discontinue-proof power?
Welcome from Arlington, about 50 miles North of you.

I was wary at first about proprietary batteries, but have found no need to have concern.

My first digital camera was the *istDL, which uses AA batteries. Even using nickle metal hydride rechargeable batteries I never got great performance from them. It seemed like I was always fussing over batteries and keeping them charged up.

Next up I got the K10D, and a battery grip. Even after sitting for a long time the batteries are ready to go, they don't discharge too much when sitting idle. And no worries about throw away batteries leaking inside the camera.

I followed up with a K5IIs, with battery grip, and most recently a K-1, with battery grip. Both cameras use the same battery, making it a simple matter to keep them charged and ready to go. And like the K10D, storage of charged batteries is not an issue. These latest cameras also can use AA batteries, with an adapter tray, but the proprietary batteries function much better, last longer per charge, and I have not yet needed to replace them.
07-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Italy
07-03-2019, 01:00 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks again all. I'm looking for bargains on shopgoodwill and will no doubt have new questions.