Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-04-2019, 01:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another 70's Pentax lover....

My love of Pentax started with a Black Spotmatic II with theF1.4 50mm lens – brought from Fiji by my father. This would either have been late 1971 or mid1972 – can’t remember which. Over the yearsadded various M42 lenses plus a Sigma body. Then when the K-mount came out had to stop smoking for two years to buya ME Super (or two!). Again over the years various lenses came and went from a20mm Pentax SMC, to a Sigma 600mm mirror lens plus an MG body. Then after quite a while along came the SFXAutofocus beastie. Had that up until acouple of years ago, but it was early on replaced with a series of CompactDigital Cameras, Ricoh, Canon, Kodak etc.

After moving to Portugal the opportunities for goodphotography improved and one day a K200D came along at a very good price and itcould be used with some of my existing lenses. I had that for nearly 7 years without hassle. Interim for light travel I bought a Pentax X5Bridge camera –a nice simple shooter capable of good results.
Late 2015 the upgrade itch started and the K200D went to bereplaced by the K-S2 (which if I’d known at the time about the imminent K-70… Gah!!).I settled on three lenses, Sigma 10-20mm F4, Sigma 18-300mm F.35 and a PentaxDA* 300mm F4. I had had a Sigma 18-200mmwhich I found disappointing – never able to get it really sharp and a Sigma17-70mm which I should have kept.

Aging bones put all that lot to one side and while studyingthe Mirrorless field in the interim a Panasonic Lumix TZ-90 (ZS-90) becameubiquitous and apart from limitations in low light produces excellent images.
Then sense struck – replacement cost even with part exchangewas going to be much too high (according to the finance director) being apensioner on a relatively fixed income. Then with a Night Sailing from Gibraltaron our next cruise in mind along came (courtesy of E-Bay) a Sigma 30mm F1.4 Artand out came the K-S2 again to produce excellent low-light results with manualcontrol of Aperture! You will note thefinance director is happy for us to go cruising, but she did admit the new lenswas great.

Then in this week’s edition (July 2nd 2019) AmateurPhotographer mention of the ACB problem came up – casting around I found thisForum which provided a lot of useful information regarding the problem. So atpresent I’ll wait to see what happens with the K-S2 but I’ll make sure to checkthe first image after starting it up. Ifit does start acting up I’ll ask here for opinions on suitable replacements...!!

Regards from the Western Algarve, Portugal!!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
07-04-2019, 02:20 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!

Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)
07-04-2019, 04:11 AM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Great intro, welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.
07-04-2019, 08:17 AM - 1 Like   #4

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

07-04-2019, 11:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Welcome! I was a big fan of the ME Super and smc-M 24-70/4
07-04-2019, 02:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi there and welcome. I have a similar genealogy. I learned on a school Spotmatic and Super-Tak lenses. My bought-new cameras in order are KX, MESuper, (a series of film auto everything compacts), K10D, K-01, K-3 and K-1. I’ve bought a lot of used cameras and lenses with a special interest in 70’s issue gear. SP-F, K2, K2DMD, MX, LX and MZ-S. And lots of lenses.

I do have a question - what is the ACB problem?
07-04-2019, 11:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Hi there and welcome. I have a similar genealogy. I learned on a school Spotmatic and Super-Tak lenses. My bought-new cameras in order are KX, MESuper, (a series of film auto everything compacts), K10D, K-01, K-3 and K-1. I’ve bought a lot of used cameras and lenses with a special interest in 70’s issue gear. SP-F, K2, K2DMD, MX, LX and MZ-S. And lots of lenses.

I do have a question - what is the ACB problem?
Its a problem with the Aperture Control Block solenoid which causes bad exposures.