Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Pentax Me vs Pentax Sp1000

Hi everybody! I am wanting to learn film photography and I am debating on which camera I should get the Pentax ME or SP1000. I am looking for a small camera and I think the ME would be great to learn on. But the store that I would purchase the camera at also has the SP1000 for $25. The ME is being sold for $50 so I am not sure. Much help and advice would be appreciated

07-05-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

That will depend on what you plan to do. In the ME you can't set shutter speed. The camera sets it automatically. Essentially, it is aperture priority with only 1 mechanical speed: 1/100. It will not work without batteries (well, only at 1/100 but without metering)

The SP1000 is fully manual but it will not do open aperture metering. Check the meter works in the SP1000. It uses 1.3V battery which may be harder to find.
Something you need to consider is lenses. the SP1000 uses M42 screwmount lenses and the ME uses K-mount lenses. You can adapt M42 screwmount to a K mount body but not the other way around.
Check the Camera Review section of this forum for details and user reviews. the ME is in the Manual Focus Film SLR category and the SP1000 is in the M42 screwmount Film SLR category.
Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Ismael
07-05-2019, 08:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

the ME is an Av mode camera.....yer only control is f stop & ev adjustment

the SP is a manual camera and would be ideal to 'learn' film photography....however it is a M42 mount body....NO k mount lenses (or atleast I do not think there is a K mount to m42 mount adapter)……...would be ideal if the light meter works but there are phone apps & other light meters you could get.....

I vote for the SP for learning film photography
07-05-2019, 09:58 PM   #4

The older Spotmatic cameras like the SP1000 have limited light meter function in modern terms so you'll need a hand-held meter. They also suffer from meters that don't work and shutter curtain failure at some speeds. For every one you see for sale on Ebay, another will have an issue the seller won't mention openly; so don't buy one unless it has 30 days return offered. The ME is a far better camera and it is much lighter, but it's not manual as others have said. A far better camera is the ME Super. Both are prone to mirror lock-up failure so don't buy one with0ut some kind of return guarantee that will give you time to run a film through and have it developed.

07-06-2019, 05:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SP is a solid camera that will last a lifetime and teaches you how to use a manual camera. It can use a standard LR 44 1.5 volt battery for the light meter. High quality screw mount lenses are plentiful for it.
The ME is a far more flimsy, semi-automatic camera designed to be dependent on batteries for proper function of its shutter. You set the aperture and the camera chooses the speed.
If you want to learn the basics, the Spotmatic is the one to choose and is far more reliable than the ME and ME Super - which has an added ability to select speeds but in my opinion is not as well built as the ME. (The MX is a far better choice if you can find one as it is a more robust and fully manual camera) I own all of these and my choice is the SP.
07-07-2019, 04:25 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Welcome to the forum, most folk around here would say don't hesitate... get both.
07-23-2019, 10:46 PM   #7

Stan will eventually say "thanks for the advice and feedback" I am sure.
07-25-2019, 02:50 AM   #8

Aloha from Hawaii. Why not get both of them? Agree that aperture priority would be taking some of the learning away from you. I say SP1000 and couple it with a Helios 44-2 58mm.

07-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Hielands o' Scootlund....... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand"..............William Blake
Welcome to the forum, at those prices just get 'em both and be a real Pentaxian.
07-25-2019, 07:52 PM   #10

I have the ME and I love it. Yes, you can only adjust the aperture but it's still a sturdy camera. I "vote" for the ME especially bc it will use k-mount lens. I have gotten several manual focus k-mount lens at Goodwill for super cheap. Zooms, fish eye, several primes, and I don't think I've paid more than $10 for them. I was able to play around with what different lenses can do and what I can do with them.
07-29-2019, 01:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Greeting and welcome.

You will find a wealth of information in the Forums and from members.

Enjoy.....