Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2019, 08:39 AM   #1

New here, greetings from just outside NYC

New to the forum, introducing myself as I have just pulled the trigger on a used Super Program. I used the forum to do some research on lenses and read about some of the quirks of the camera before my manuals came, so thanks all for that. My dad is an original owner of an SP from the early 80s and he would shoot auto races and air shows, but hasn't had much time for shooting over the last 2 decades. When I told him what I picked up, he got very excited and nostalgic about it, talked about going to the Indianapolis 500 shortly after I was born to photograph. Might also have inspired him to pick up the camera again, which is cool.

Anyhow, glad to be here, hope I can contribute as needed, and as I learn more in my adventure with the SP. Cheers.

I took a photo of the SP sitting on a light table I have, hopefully the photos it takes are as nice to look at as the camera is itself.

Attached Images

07-17-2019, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #2

Congratulations, the SuperProgram is one of the best cameras ever build, welcome !!
07-17-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.
07-17-2019, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #4

Welcome!!! Lots of good discussions here and helpful folks.

JB

07-18-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by A Left Handed Shark Quote
greetings from just outside NYC
Welcome to the forum, certainly an interesting forum name you've selected for yourself... care to elaborate?
07-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, certainly an interesting forum name you've selected for yourself... care to elaborate?
Thanks for the welcome from you and everyone else who commented.

As for the forum name, I'm mostly left-handed, and I acquired 'shark' as a nickname from some old soccer teammates who rhymed it with the first part of my last name. I was a goalkeeper, and we'll say my style of play was very strategic and calculated, but with a fair amount of intensity, so it stuck.
07-19-2019, 04:52 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Thanks for the welcome from you and everyone else who commented.

As for the forum name, I'm mostly left-handed, and I acquired 'shark' as a nickname from some old soccer teammates who rhymed it with the first part of my last name. I was a goalkeeper, and we'll say my style of play was very strategic and calculated, but with a fair amount of intensity, so it stuck.
Thanks for the explanation, I was hoping for something far more wayward and exciting than that.

07-19-2019, 06:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the explanation, I was hoping for something far more wayward and exciting than that.
Haha, sorry about that. I'll try to keep everyone's disappointment to a minimum

PS, I am an amateur photographer who understands the basics fairly well. I'm assuming there is a pretty good range of folks like myself all the way up to professionals. Are there any specific threads that stand out as pinnacle knowledge threads that the pros impart to the rest of us mortals? As I'm shooting film, I want to make some healthy mistakes to learn from so I'm learning what not to do in as manual a way as possible, but I also don't want to waste all that much film...any suggestions are greatly appreciated. My interest has been piqued.

Cheers and thanks...
07-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Are there any specific threads that stand out as pinnacle knowledge
I would say pick the threads that interest you first and see how you get on with those.
07-21-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #10

Welcome from Oahu! I took my Super Program to Bangkok this year and it captured some of the greatest sights out there. Im glad to have captured that trip in film. Enjoy yours as it will give you fun as well!
07-21-2019, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #11

Welcome from Nashville, TN
07-21-2019, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

welcome aboard
great back story
cheers
Aaron
07-22-2019, 05:53 AM   #13

Original Poster
I would say pick the threads that interest you first and see how you get on with those.
Haha fair point...I'm sure shooting will drive me to search certain topics. Thanks again.
07-22-2019, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi! And welcome from a former New-Yawker, specifically Baldwin* out on the south shore of Nassau Co.

*Rockville Centre, Baldwin, Freeport, Wantagh, Massapequa, Massapequa Park, ....." etc. etc. some extra stations along this route (Lyndenhurst, Merrick) but the trains I took almost never stopped at those.