Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2007, 04:18 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Really great pics Dan. It's funny you should mention Winslow Hill. Gingers Grand Father was the Winslow that owned that area until his death in the late 80's.
If I remember correctly if you stay on that road it comes to a T Turn to the left and it takes you back to her family camp grounds. Turn right or just follow it to the right and it winds down a dirt road to rt 519 and at the bottom of that road and 519 was her Grand Fathers house. (Oh and BTW that dirt road was paved last year).

The elk herd now numbers about 160 and that is why last year they opened a hunt to thin the herd. They issued only 25 license through a lottery and some guy from Lancaster harvested the largest Elk some where around 1600 lb. The hunt ended with only 8 elk taken. (that makes me very happy) There are other answers to thinning the herd and I hope they move some to other regions.

The elk picture I posted for you is of George. This elk has cataracts. Cant see for anything. He is the neighborhoods Photo Op. He ranges about 5miles and will not cross any roads. But I'm sure if you spook him he can do some real damage with that rack. that's why I got so close to him.

The last time we were in ST. Marys they had condemned an entire block of 100year old buildings. Just took them off the historic record and are putting a SHEET'S gas station in the center of town. Just across the street sits Leshers a jewelry store that has been in the town for 150 years. Gingers Grand father grew up with Paul Lesher and her father grew up with Paul JR.,Paul JR. died about 3 years ago and his son Tommy now runs the shop. If you ever want to know anything about this town he's the man to see.

Sorry for going on like this. If you want to do DC How about a spring shoot I'll see if we can round up some of the people that are close and we can pick a weekend to go shoot.

03-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #17

Original Poster
That sounds good. I'd be open to DC or Gettysburg. DC might be out of reach for me for some weekends (with my kids activities, work schedules, babysitting, etc). I could probably do a day trip more easily in most cases. But if you throw out some dates and locations we can see what works.

Believe me, I've been going crazy with this weather! That's why the Flower Show will be nice... a solid day of shooting to hold me over till spring!

Enjoy the show tomorrow. We'll have to compare notes later this week.

Dan
03-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DanielBoone Quote
Here are some pics from Benezette, just below Winslow Hill.
Wow! The first shot was really nice with the colours in the sky. The last shot - oooh! I liked that one! Elk?
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM   #19

Original Poster
Yes, from what I understand, the native elk herd was hunted out in the 1800's and were re-introduced in the early 1900's with elk from Wyoming. The herd in north central Pennsylvania now numbers nearly 1000.

Thanks for the comments on the shots! I was there at the right time for the sunset photo, and the elk struck a really nice pose for me.