Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #1

Greetings from NE Pennsylvania

Hello all,

I've been a Pentax user since college (1992) starting with the P30t (what a great camera!). In recent years I've been collecting K1000's, ME's, and Spotmatics. My most recently used film camera was the ZX-L, until I bought an *ist DS, December of 05. Now, a year later, I'm a proud owner of the K10D! Pentax really raised the bar with this camera so I'm very excited! Unfortunately, the weather has been extremely cold and very grey here lately so I'm waiting for a good solid day of picture taking with the K10D.

I consider myself an advanced amateur when it comes to photography. I feel very comfortable with a camera but also realize there is so much to learn. I'm looking for some inspiration from my fellow enthusiasts and hope I can offer the same.

Here are two pictures from Ricketts Glen State Park in Northeast Pennsylvania. The waterfall I took in October '06 with my *ist DS. My wife snapped a photo of me in a different part of the park with the K10D at the end of December.

I hope to chat with you soon!

Dan

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo   
03-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello, Hello! Welcome!

Nice shots! Is your wife into photography as well? My wife perfers to retouch my photos. I like doing the shooting.

Look forward to seeing more photos!
03-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hello Alvin! Nice to meet you! I'm trying to get my wife to use an SLR. We're going to the Philadelphia Flower Show next week so maybe I'll make her use the DS.

It's nice you have a "team effort" for your photo capture and post processing. I think it helps having another perspective!
03-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DanielBoone Quote
Hello Alvin! Nice to meet you! I'm trying to get my wife to use an SLR. We're going to the Philadelphia Flower Show next week so maybe I'll make her use the DS.

It's nice you have a "team effort" for your photo capture and post processing. I think it helps having another perspective!
Even though we do team stuff, my wife and I have our moments

As much as I'd like to say our camera purchase was her decision, she says it was mine. Same goes with our fisheye lens purchase but I will argue that she wanted that lens moreso than me.

But there's no arguments regarding my enjoying the camera.

03-01-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Oh no! haha. Never argue about tech stuff.

If you can afford it off your own ends, spare the fuss and get it. Then if she asks out of curiousity, show her the viewfinder and let her play around a bit. It may even inspire her to take the camera out for a spin.
03-01-2007, 11:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Oh no! haha. Never argue about tech stuff.

If you can afford it off your own ends, spare the fuss and get it. Then if she asks out of curiousity, show her the viewfinder and let her play around a bit. It may even inspire her to take the camera out for a spin.
DanielBoone,

You'll pick up quite a few tips here, not only on photography but on how to pick up more gear too

Pete - hehehe thanks for the tip, I think that's how I've been getting my wife into shooting but didn't know it. Eventually the upcoming new argument = new camera body for her because she'll be ripping the camera from me
03-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hi Dan,
Welcome to the forum. I know you'll enjoy it here. the people are friendly and there is always something to learn. I Guess you could call me a neighbor. I'm from Lancaster Pa. and my wife is from Saint Marys Pa. I guess you could say I got the best of both ends of the state. Enjoy your self and hope too see more shots posted.

03-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi DanielBoone!

welcome to the forum!
that area of Pennsylvania looks like a great place to take photos
are there fly fishing oppertunities there?
wonderful shot of the waterfalls, BTW

If you want to get your wife into photography, get her to pick up a K100D
my wife used to be a hard core P&S person, nothing but automatic for her.
once she bought the K100 she hasn't even picked up that ole' olyumpus again!
the best thing for her is when you turn the dial on the K100 she can see a picture on the back digital display on what type of photo she can take..... still kind of automatic but with much better results.

once again, thanks for joining our pentax club

cheers

randy
03-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #9

Original Poster
Looking forward to the photo tips Alvin. I AM seriously thinking of a fisheye lens too!!!
03-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #10

Original Poster
Randy,

Thanks for the comments on the photos! The state parks are beautiful here and there are lots of photo ops in the Poconos as well.

I live along the Susquehanna river which is good for smallmouth bass, walleye, etc. I've never been fly fishing but a good friend of mine always talks about Pine Creek in Wellsboro, PA.

Thanks for the welcome!

Dan
03-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #11
Inactive Account

The past 11 years in Ephrata! and now the Wyoming valley. This is really something. Would you be available for Photo shoots with the northeast gang? if you are this would be great. You said Your going to the Phila. Flower show? I was going to go Sunday which is the first day. What day are you going?
03-02-2007, 06:15 PM   #12

Original Poster
We're going to go to Philly on Tuesday. Weather should be good for traveling that day.

What's the Northeast Gang? Do they get together for photo excursions?

Dan
03-02-2007, 07:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

welcome aboard
03-02-2007, 07:08 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I'm sorry to say I won't be able to make it Tuesday. I work for a structural steel company out of Landisville and we are doing some add ons for Wilbur chocolate plant and the weekend's are the only time I have free until some time in April. Any way enjoy your selves and get some great pictures. I know I'm going to try on Sunday.
there are a few of us here on the east coast (northeast) that have gotten together a couple of times last year We did a DC shoot in June of last year and a fall colors shoot in Gettysburg. Along with the DC shoot We did the National Zoo. We have been talking off and on about a spring shoot but need to know where and when. and then we'll see who shows up.
We did talk about doing Annapolis this spring or DC again but I would like to do a shoot every few months as the weather holds out. but if you would like to join in you would be more then welcome and I know you would have fun and get some great pictures. We do have fun this is one picture after lunch in Gettysburg I think mark had to much Cider.

Any way you and your wife would be more than welcome at any shoot. try and make some of them.
03-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks David, sounds great! I'd really be interested a Gettysburg shoot... for the 11 years I lived in Lancaster County, I never made it out there. The last time I was in Gettysburg was October of '93 (shooting with my trusty P30t by the way!). Been awhile since I've been to DC too.

Hope you have a great trip on Sunday.

Here are some pics from Benezette, just below Winslow Hill.

BTW, nice candid of yours from Gettysburg!

Dan
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo