Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2019, 05:48 AM - 4 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Greetings from Merseyside

Hi, My name is Gerald Murphy. I have been using Pentax for about four years now. My first Pentax camera was a K-50 which I still possess. I bought it as an upgrade from a compact camera because i thought that I would be able to take better photographs. The K-50 did not make me any better so I bought a K3ii. I still was no good so I sold it together with some DA* lenses. Six months later my wife saw that a local over 55s photography group was seeking new members and suggested that I go along. That was two years ago. Since then I bought another K3ii and, as a result of what I have learned from the group, plus online photography tuition posts, my photographs have, in my view improved no end. Obviously I still have a huge amount to learn but I have become confident enough to have just bought a K-1 plus a 24-70 mm lens. I find sites like this very helpful - especially when I hit a problem or am considering a new lens. Concerning that I am wondering how well a 300 mm DA* star would perform with the K-1 for landscape work to isolate features, say trees 1.5 Km away.
I attach two of my recent photos with the K-1 and the 24-70 mm lens.
Thanks for the invitation to join.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-28-2019, 06:10 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like you need our help in spending your money...

A word to the wise, we're very good at doing that around here.
07-28-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums! I'm not from Merseyside myself, but as a supporter of one of your footballteams I'm a 'scouse by heart'.

I must say, if you've been doing this for just a few years, you're a quick learner! Those photos in your post really impresses me.
07-28-2019, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you deus ursus and Kerrowdown. As I said in my introductory post, I had always it was the camera that wasn't good enough. Joining a group helped me see that it was the skill of person behind the camera that needed upgrading.

07-28-2019, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by newbiek50user Quote
Thank you deus ursus and Kerrowdown. As I said in my introductory post, I had always it was the camera that wasn't good enough. Joining a group helped me see that it was the skill of person behind the camera that needed upgrading.
Yes changing equipment for more expensive or advanced stuff is fun and can often lead to a renewed interest in photography. But by itself newer equipment won’t make a blind bit of difference if you don’t grasp the basics of composition or exposure. Welcome
07-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
Closed Account

Hi Gerald, welcome from Australia.
07-28-2019, 02:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yes changing equipment for more expensive or advanced stuff is fun and can often lead to a renewed interest in photography. But by itself newer equipment won’t make a blind bit of difference if you don’t grasp the basics of composition or exposure. Welcome
Thank you also pschlute. A truth that I have learned the hard way.

07-28-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Gerald, welcome from Australia.
Hi pjv. Thank you for your welcome from cold, wet England.
07-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums.
07-28-2019, 11:11 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums.
Thank you for your welcome C_Jones.
07-29-2019, 01:29 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Greetings and welcome from Rome, Italy.
07-29-2019, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the Forum from a fellow "scouser".

Better equipment can make good photography possible in a wider range of situations or assists in specific circumstances, but it's "the nutter who presses the shutter" who chooses to create any particular image and so is, ultimately, the most important component.
07-29-2019, 05:31 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
Welcome to the Forum from a fellow "scouser".

Better equipment can make good photography possible in a wider range of situations or assists in specific circumstances, but it's "the nutter who presses the shutter" who chooses to create any particular image and so is, ultimately, the most important component.
Thanks Nicolpa for your welcome and advice. That's an impressive amount of good equipment though.

---------- Post added 07-29-19 at 05:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dave_roe Quote
Greetings and welcome from Rome, Italy.
Thank you for your welcome dave_roe. What a beautiful city to have retired to!
08-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #14
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF Gerald.
QuoteOriginally posted by newbiek50user Quote
I am wondering how well a 300 mm DA* star would perform with the K-1 for landscape work to isolate features, say trees 1.5 Km away
Telephoto lenses can be good for landscapes. Have a look at this thread: Post your Telephoto Landscapes! - PentaxForums.com

The DA*300 is a fine lens and it is said to perform flawlessly on the K-1. But the field of view won't be narrow enough to single out trees 1.5km away. You would need a LOT longer focal length for that (or a much smaller sensor). To give you an idea, here's an image taken from about 1.5km or so with the K-3 and FA*300.

With the smaller sensor size on the K-3 you would need to use a 450mm lens to get the same field of view on the K-1 in full-frame mode. And even that, as you can see, it is nowhere near enough magnification to isolate a particular tree.
08-03-2019, 10:27 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome to PF Gerald.
Telephoto lenses can be good for landscapes. Have a look at this thread: Post your Telephoto Landscapes! - PentaxForums.com

The DA*300 is a fine lens and it is said to perform flawlessly on the K-1. But the field of view won't be narrow enough to single out trees 1.5km away. You would need a LOT longer focal length for that (or a much smaller sensor). To give you an idea, here's an image taken from about 1.5km or so with the K-3 and FA*300.

With the smaller sensor size on the K-3 you would need to use a 450mm lens to get the same field of view on the K-1 in full-frame mode. And even that, as you can see, it is nowhere near enough magnification to isolate a particular tree.
Thanks Des. Your post is really helpful. I may simply have to use my feet and get closer.