Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2019, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #1

Looking to get back into Pentax

Hi, new to the forum, have been an avid enthusiast for many years. Tired of using superzooms and fixed lens cameras, looking to get an older Pentax Digital and get back into dslr photography. Still have a couple decent old lenses from my me super.

07-29-2019, 07:57 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome.

I would recommend skipping the lower end cameras and get one of the K-5 variants.

Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-5 IIs - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
07-29-2019, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gofishn48 Quote
Hi, new to the forum, have been an avid enthusiast for many years. Tired of using superzooms and fixed lens cameras, looking to get an older Pentax Digital and get back into dslr photography. Still have a couple decent old lenses from my me super.
14 years ago I retired my old Program Plus and ME for digital with a D*ist.
My advice if you're looking for an older body, last time I checked the K-5 was still a top 50 body on some sites that rate such things. A K-3 is a bit newer but also more expensive.

Either body will let you use your older lenses with Shake Reduction, and get the most out of them. Personally, I stayed with Pentax so I could use my older Pentax glass, but I got the kit lens and a Sigma 70-300 with AF, and the ease of use meant I rarely used my older glass. It was just so much more fidgeting around for the same result in most situations.

The K-3 is more of an action camera, and is a noticeable downgrade from the K-5 for dynamic range, so I'm with boriscleto in thinking you might appreciate a K-5 or K-5ii more than a K-3 if you are still wanting manual focus. Because of a known problem with aperture solenoids I would avoid K-30 or K-50 type cameras as used bodies, although I still might gamble on a new-in-box if I could find one.

My wife is still getting great results from her K-5.

Last edited by normhead; 07-29-2019 at 08:42 AM.
07-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

I would agree that the K-5 is a very nice one of the flagship models. I still have a K-5 IIs, and it does a wonderful job on almost anything. I would recommend the K-3 II if you want to get a later flagship model than the K-5 or K-5 IIs. It is also an excellent camera.

08-02-2019, 01:21 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and fine older Pentax glass.
08-15-2019, 07:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank everyone for the recommendations! Although I ended up buying a very nice used k-50 kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 lens for 150. Everything seems to be working properly and keeping my fingers crossed that the aperture problem doesnít pop up. If and when it occurs Iíll purchase another body, probably the k-5.

I have another question, although probably not for this thread, but here goes... I recently went computerless and downloaded all the photos from the laptop to a couple thumb drives. Is there any devise/cable available to transfer those pics from the flash/thumb drive to my iPhone/iPad? Iíve searched online and Amazon and really havenít found anything.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.
08-17-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have another question, although probably not for this thread, but here goes... I recently went computerless and downloaded all the photos from the laptop to a couple thumb drives. Is there any devise/cable available to transfer those pics from the flash/thumb drive to my iPhone/iPad? I’ve searched online and Amazon and really haven’t found anything.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.
Amazon has a few Lightning to female USB devices that should work:
amazon.com: HENKUR USB Camera Adapter, USB 3.0 Female OTG Adapter with Charging Interface Data Sync Charge Cable Compatible with iPhone X 8 7 6 Plus iPad, Support Card Reader, MIDI Interface, Hubs(White): Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

amazon.com: Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

There are more and but do not have any of these to verify if they work, read the Q and A sections. I have an apple SD card reader that works well, a good way to get the pics from your camera to the ipad.
08-18-2019, 01:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)

08-18-2019, 10:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-5 is a great camera to get into digital photography, especially with vintage lenses. You can find several in good shape on PF at low prices. I'd sell you mine, but it is too damaged to do anything with. Lesson learned, buy a good carrying case and make sure it is fully closed.

I look forward to seeing your photos
08-20-2019, 05:10 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K5 series has a lot to recommend itself, price among those. The K5 and 18-135 is a great weather-sealed setup to get you started. It does 80% of what you want, and will let you figure out where you're going. Plus, it's quiet and the motorized focus is quick.

Welcome!
08-20-2019, 05:33 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank everyone for the recommendations! Although I ended up buying a very nice used k-50 kit with the 18-55 and 50-200 lens for 150. Everything seems to be working properly and keeping my fingers crossed that the aperture problem doesnít pop up. If and when it occurs Iíll purchase another body, probably the k-5 . . . .
welcome to the forum

enjoy your ( new to you ) camera

looking forward to when you choose to post some photos

if and when you look for another camera body ( why not get a back up now if you can find one at a good price ? ) make sure you check the forum's market place

you can sort it so it only shows threads from certain geographic areas:

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com