Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2019, 02:53 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day All

G'day All,

I've just purchased a k1 mark ii in the last few days, I don't have the camera yet but I'm excited to get involved. Reminds me of the first time I bought a camera in Melbourne as a teenager, the only one I wanted and had to buy was a Pentax SLR, then not long after making the same trip to buy a couple of lenses, this was 25 odd years ago. That camera travelled everywhere with me, along with spare rolls of film of all sorts, to many parts of Australia. Those rolls of film turned into boxes and boxes of printed photos which are all stashed away somewhere safe.

I moved to digital with pentax and kept taking photos of everything for a while, then life caught up and technology moved on and I kind of stopped taking photos with a DSLR or SLR and used phones and video cameras to do what i needed. I also have other hobbies that take my time up and they are also quite expensive to keep up with. To be honest, this camera is not that expensive and I need a couple of new lenses and that will be pretty much it as far as cost goes (wait, maybe another battery and a memory card are needed, how many batteries do i really need for the K1 ii??). I have a good PC already and all the other bits.

I want to capture print-worthy, eye-catching photo's with my new setup. I stuck with Pentax because its kind of all I know, I could have bought into canon or Nikon or a nice 4/3 setup but I couldn't do it. Over time I've enjoyed telling people what camera I shoot with if they would ever ask, I guess I'm a Pentaxian after all

*this forum I've been lurking around helped me make up my mind on staying with the brand. It's a great forum with some great members. thanks for letting me in!!

MR

08-02-2019, 03:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard Ben. You have made a wise choice!

It's always worth having a spare battery. If you have any of your old film era lenses, be aware that they will all work natively on your K-1 Mark II.

If you only buy one modern lens, it should be the DFA 28-105. The rest is gravy.
08-02-2019, 03:12 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Melbourne.
08-02-2019, 03:12 AM   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, and congratulations on that incoming K-1II (very nice! )

I'd recommend you have at least two, and preferably three or four batteries - that way you can shoot with one in the camera and always have a spare with you, but also one or two more on charge. It really depends on how often you're shooting, and how much you shoot in a session. You might get away with just two if you're not regularly running out of juice. Perhaps start with two and see how you get on?

As for lenses, despite what a few folks might say both here and on other forums, you're pretty much spoiled for choice unless you're looking for something quite extreme. A lot of folks here use the HD Pentax-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR as a general purpose lens on full frame, and it certainly seems to deliver nice image quality. It's also pretty inexpensive considering how versatile it is, and the weather resistance capability.

Good to have you with us

08-02-2019, 04:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome aboard Ben. You have made a wise choice!

It's always worth having a spare battery. If you have any of your old film era lenses, be aware that they will all work natively on your K-1 Mark II.

If you only buy one modern lens, it should be the DFA 28-105. The rest is gravy.
Hey thanks, as far as lenses go, if I could I would have them all, I'm sure i could have fun with every one of them. I like Macro, I like landscape, I like street, I like people and taking pics of them lol.. it's all good. I'll look into the Dfa 28 - 105 as I need a new lens for the new toy.
Pjv I live in Cairns now, I grew up in Geelong, and Sandy I lived in Mount Barker for a few years about 10 years ago.. great area but far too cold for me
08-03-2019, 11:36 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, enjoy that new camera.