Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2019, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #1

Resurrecting my Pentax equipment

When my wife worked for Honeywell in the 70's and they owned Pentax, we bought an ES II and several SMC lenses. I used them for several years but they have laid in my closet for 20+ years, all in excellent condition except the leather cases for the lenses. We moved to small cameras for travel but I decided that the new mirrorless APSC cameras were now getting small enough that I could go back to better equipment. Then, to my surprise, I found out that I can adapt my old SMC Takumar lenses to the mounts of the new mirror-less cameras. So now I am even more motivated to get some new gear!

08-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums, Louis!

Great to hear your old equipment is still in excellent condition. The ES II might need servicing to be fully and reliably operational, but the lenses should be absolutely fine

Regarding APS-C cameras, the sensor is smaller in size than the 35mm film frame. As such, the field of view captured with each of your lenses will be narrower than you were previously used to. A 50mm general use lens will act as a short telephoto on APS-C (ideal for portraiture). A moderately wide angle 35mm lens, when used on APS-C, will feel much like your 50mm "normal" lens did on the ES II. A 24mm lens from those film days will feel like a 35mm lens when used on an APS-C camera.

None of this makes the lenses any less useful, but it does mean you might find them useful for different scenarios. If your budget can stretch to a new or used full frame camera - DSLR or mirrorless - then you might consider that instead, especially if you want to continue using your old lenses precisely as you did before. I shoot mostly APS-C Pentax equipment, and the focal lengths of the lenses I own are somewhat optimised for the APS-C format (or else I know how they'll work on that format). I also collect vintage Soviet film-era lenses for SLR and rangefinder cameras, and for those I shoot with a full frame Sony A7 MkII. It's an older model now, overtaken twice by more recent generations of Sony equipment - but it's still excellent, and it lets me enjoy those lenses how they were originally intended. The Pentax K-1 is also a great choice for shooting K-mount and M42 mount vintage glass...
08-11-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your Pentax glass all over again second time round.
08-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Louis, welcome from Australia.

08-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you decide that the effective increase in focal length due to sensor size doesn't work for you, there is a market for the lenses you have if they're good. The K-1 dSLR can probably use them natively.
08-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heebie Quote
The K-1 dSLR can probably certainly use them natively.
Fixed that for you
08-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice. I have found that if my camera/gear is too big/takes too much space, I just don't use it. That is why I am leaning to APS-C. The Sony A6xxxx seems to be about the smallest of that lot. The ES is also in great condition, even the leather case. I always kept the battery out of it to avoid damage from leaking batteries. I just put the 10+ year-old battery in and the meter still seems to work. I imagine it would still need some reconditioning for the light seals. See photo attached.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-11-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: See Marketplace for selling items
08-11-2019, 06:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Louis_in_TX Quote
I have found that if my camera/gear is too big/takes too much space, I just don't use it. That is why I am leaning to APS-C.
APS-C can serve you very well Just be aware that if you're going to depend upon, or at least use, your older lenses, they'll have a different (narrower) field of view on this format. The Sony A6xxx series cameras are very good. And if APS-C is OK for you, Fujifilm might also be worth considering. Then again, if you'd consider a DSLR, the Pentax KP is relatively compact and offers awesome image quality - dare I say, best in class

08-12-2019, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new Sigma full frame is tiny...