Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hi New to dslr photography

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi all. I am picking up a used ks2 tomorrow! I am excited to start learning manual modes and taking better quality pictures than with my phones camera. Any advice about this camera or where to start with learning how to shoot in manual mode? I love taking family photos and travel photos and sunset pictures. Thanks.

08-26-2019, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Kristaline, and welcome to the forums. Congratulations on your incoming KS2!

Regarding manual mode, the best advice I can give is to learn about exposure. This is essential to shooting in manual mode, but will help with all other modes and your photography in general.

All of the information you need is available by Googling "how to shoot manual with DSLR"... however, I recommend you buy a decent book on the subject. One of the best (and I own a copy myself) is "Understanding Exposure, Fourth Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera" (I've linked to Amazon Canada here for your convenience). If you read, learn and practice the straightforward teachings in this easy-to-read book, you'll be all set. It covers everything you need to know, without having to trawl through multiple websites, asking various folks for advice that might be inaccurate or conflicting. Save yourself the trouble, read this book and put what it teaches into practice. You'll do just fine
08-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you. I was thinking of getting a book bug there are so many to choose from.
08-26-2019, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kristaline Quote
Thank you. I was thinking of getting a book bug there are so many to choose from.
You're welcome This is definitely the book for you (for most people, in fact). It's very easy and fun to read, and tells you everything you need to know about exposure and how to control it manually. In my opinion, it should be required reading for any amateur photographer

08-26-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

don't forget the excellent articles here under "articles"

Resources | PentaxForums.com

here is a good one to start with:

Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
08-26-2019, 04:57 PM - 1 Like   #6

I learned focusing from my father. He lined up a bunch of crayons along a ledge and had me focus on each one with the camera on a tripod. I'd say got it, he'd check and tell me the orange one or nope. Funny, I got much less nopes once he put his glasses on. But anyways, do that a while with each lens and you'll be manually focusing quicker than your camera.

To the rest, I'll echo what the rest have said. But I'd add play around with it. Set up an apple on the kitchen table and set it to P. Look at where the camera thinks it should be. Then try clicking something and see what happens. F22, the apple is in focus and you can see what's on the neighbor's TV. Crank the shutter speed up or down. What happened?

It took me doing for the books to make sense.
08-26-2019, 10:28 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. It has been said that coming to a DSLR your first hundred / thousand images will be somewhat disappointing. Smartphones are designed to make photography very easy - especially in good light. Where DSLRs are going to excel, is in difficult situations. The moral of the story is to not get disappointed.

There are a number of items that may help you.
  • The first is a video tutorial on the K-s2
  • There is also a 5 part video tutorial on using the K-s2. Here is the first part

08-26-2019, 11:43 PM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the clubhouse!

As you see this forum consists of some awesome people; always ready to share of their knowledge and to lend support. You will also find that there genuinely is no such thing as a stupid question. The "stupidest" questions tend to spark off the most interesting dicussions. So, ask away and you will recieve friendly advice worth listening to.
08-27-2019, 08:04 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I think shooting in manual mode is overrated and should not be your primary target. Camera is a tool that should help you take better pictures, not make things more difficult than they need to be.

What I think you should do is try to read and understand the basic technical concepts of photography (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus etc) and then look into semi-automatic modes (like Av, Tv, Tav for instance) and learn how to use them to your advantage. I'm not saying manual mode is bad, but depending on what exactly you shoot, chances are you'll end up using another mode that will make your life easier.
08-27-2019, 08:12 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Hello and welcome to the forums!

I think shooting in manual mode is overrated and should not be your primary target. Camera is a tool that should help you take better pictures, not make things more difficult than they need to be.

What I think you should do is try to read and understand the basic technical concepts of photography (exposure, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus etc) and then look into semi-automatic modes (like Av, Tv, Tav for instance) and learn how to use them to your advantage. I'm not saying manual mode is bad, but depending on what exactly you shoot, chances are you'll end up using another mode that will make your life easier.
I suggest variation

the af lens may allow you to use manual mode

" A " lens allow you to use some settings set automatically by the camera

this chart allows you to figure out what the Pentax " signage " on the lenses mean:

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

this chart shows how Pentax lenses will work with the OP's K S2 ( it is on the second row )

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

so my recommendation is to

have fun with your photography

mix it up with how you take your photos
08-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum and to your photography the Pentax way.
08-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

Kind regards,
Mark

aotearoa
(New Zealand)
10-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums!

Great advice already. I have found that shooting at night (with a tripod), teaches you a lot about exposure as you can try using the whole aperture range and the process is slowed down a lot.
10-04-2019, 03:08 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome. I found this article by Adam to be most helpful
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
Have fun!
10-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum