Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-28-2019, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #1

Mercury photography question & Introduction

Hello Folks,

I've been a member here for a long time, but it's been so long since I last logged in that my account was deleted. Nevertheless, I still consider myself to be a beginner in photography.

On November 11 I wish to photograph the transit of planet Mercury across the face of the Sun. I have an equatorial mount for my K5, and a 49 mm white llight solar filter for my Pentax SMC DA 50-200 mm lens. By my quick calculation, Mercury subtends about 7 arc seconds. Will my lens provide enough magnification to image Mercury?

Thanks, Tom

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 09-28-2019 at 01:45 PM.
09-28-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!

And thanks for reminding me of the 2019 Transit of Mercury.

With the K-5's pixel size of about 5 microns and with a 200 mm lens, each pixel subtends about 25 microradians. The 10 arcseconds of Mercury is about 48 microradians which makes it big enough to almost blacken a 2x2 pixel region (assuming the lens is sharp). That's fairly small but if you take a stack of snapshots, you should be able to see the track of the shadow.

A longer focal length would be needed to resolve Mercury as a disk. A 1000 mm lens would make it a 10 pixel diameter disk.

Good luck!

EDIT: because Mercury is directly between the Earth and Sun, the disk is much larger (10 arcsec) than when it appears in the sky off to the side of the sun.

Last edited by photoptimist; 09-28-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Correction for Mercury's diameter.
09-28-2019, 11:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Good afternoon,

Thank you for the informative response.

Unfortunately, I've never learned how to stack photos. I've tried to learn how to use several different, free software packages, but just haven't been able to get started. Living out in the sticks like I do, I don't know any other photo buffs or amateur astronomers. I have to teach myself.

I hope I'll be able to see Mercury or its shadow in single images.

Thanks again, Tom
09-28-2019, 02:11 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 50-200 hasn't a reputation for being especially sharp. I would suggest not only a longer lens but a sharper one if possible.

09-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi Vanya,

I have an old Samyang 100-500 zoom telephoto lens that I've never used. It works with my K5, and 72 mm filters are available. Might it be a better choice?

Thanks, Tom
09-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ghillie Quote
Hi Vanya,

I have an old Samyang 100-500 zoom telephoto lens that I've never used. It works with my K5, and 72 mm filters are available. Might it be a better choice?

Thanks, Tom

Only you can tell. What I would do is find a distant landmark or object that is stationary and you can get a good shot of. Take multiple shots using each be lens. Vary the focal length back from the max since some zooms are sharper a bit short of maximum.

Once you have the shots, crop the shorter focal length to give similar images then zoom into both of them to see which picture gives the better image in your opinion.

Edit: Beware a weak tripod will not work well in this test. Sandbags on a window sill might be best.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 10-01-2019 at 05:17 AM.
10-01-2019, 05:12 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome back to the forum, sorry I can’t offer any advice to your question.

10-03-2019, 12:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum

K-5 hey? I like my K-5, been thinking of getting a low mileage K-5 IIs to preserve the ability to record images with this sensor.
11-11-2019, 08:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another option. Not a great one, mind you... I took my kid's cheap telescope, pointed it at the sun. Definitely didn't look in the eyepiece, but pointed it at the wall and then the ceiling. You can definitely see Mercury going across the sun's disk. Then I took the K-3ii and took a picture of the ceiling, and did some RawTherapee enhancement so you can just make out the smudge that is Mercury.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
11-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be sure to let us know how this turns out.
11-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Here's another option. Not a great one, mind you... I took my kid's cheap telescope, pointed it at the sun. Definitely didn't look in the eyepiece, but pointed it at the wall and then the ceiling. You can definitely see Mercury going across the sun's disk. Then I took the K-3ii and took a picture of the ceiling, and did some RawTherapee enhancement so you can just make out the smudge that is Mercury.
Nice!

I tried this projector approach for the transit of Venus a few years back. It worked but I did have issues with the sun burning the tracks and pits into the plastic inside the eyepiece when the sun moved out of the center of the field.
11-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Nice!

I tried this projector approach for the transit of Venus a few years back. It worked but I did have issues with the sun burning the tracks and pits into the plastic inside the eyepiece when the sun moved out of the center of the field.
I put the little plastic cap on the eyepiece when I was walking away from the setup, so none of the kids would be tempted to look in. But in a matter of seconds there was a wisp of smoke and a small hole was starting to be melted in the cap.
11-12-2019, 03:20 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and good luck!
11-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!
11-12-2019, 10:39 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I put the little plastic cap on the eyepiece when I was walking away from the setup, so none of the kids would be tempted to look in. But in a matter of seconds there was a wisp of smoke and a small hole was starting to be melted in the cap.
I hate it when that happens.