Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 11:28 AM - 1 Like   #1

Hello.

Hi, I thought I would introduce myself. I am Jim currently on the Isle of Wight. At the age of 59 I am in my second year of study for my extended BTEC level three in photography and will be going on to university next year to do my BA (Hons) I have plans to follow this up with my masters!

I returned to photography after a forty year gap. A couple of heart attacks saw me buy a Canon EOS1300D with two kit lenses. I got on well with it but applied to the Isle of Wight College to further my knowledge and ability. I quickly bought a Canon EOS 7Dmk11, a sigma 150-600, tripods, gimbal, speedlite, frames, backdrops, lights....

In the second term of the first year I was reacquainted with film photography. A local seller was selling a Zenit TTL, which came with a Pentacon f2.8 25 - 70 and a Sigma 80 - 200, which has had fungus. It had been cleaned but still has some marks, but it gives an interesting effect. I picked up another Zenit, this time an EM in mint condition. This came in it's original case with a Helios 44-2 and a Pentacon 4/200, both in excellent condition.

And then...I have just bought a lovely condition Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F. This came in its original leather case and with a Takumar SMC 50mm lens, it really was very cheap, I also grabbed a bargain price Takumar F3.5 35mm. I got an adapter ring so I can mount the lenses on my canons, I get very interesting results with the vintage lenses on a digital body.

I have sent the camera straight to Asahiphoto in Brentford for a strip, clean and service. I cannot wait to get it back and start to use it. The Zenits are great, built like tanks and are brilliant for what they are, but I really look forward to trying the Spotmatic.

My primary interest in film is black and white photography. I am currently using Ilford HP5+ mainly for its very forgiving nature. I use Cinestill DF96 monobath (developer and fix combined in one solution) very quick, very fast washing and good results. I bought an Epson V600 photograph and film scanner which allows me to import the images and print from a computer. They still retain that certain quality! I will post some pictures as soon as I get the Pentax back.

10-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Jim, welcome from Australia. Excellent introduction.
10-08-2019, 12:04 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Jim, and welcome to the forums. What a great introduction!

I have a cupboard full of various Zenit cameras in different states of repair, mostly bought for the lenses mounted on them. They're built like tanks and can be great tools... but your Spotmatic is in a different league

Looking forward to your involvement here
10-08-2019, 12:33 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
glad you decided to join us

tou might want to look at this thread

Post your B&W Film shots - PentaxForums.com

10-08-2019, 12:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Jim,

Welcome to PentaxForums!
10-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome aboard!
10-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the Forum from Rome, It.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

10-08-2019, 01:49 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, enjoy all the forum has to offer.
10-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, I will be out with one of the Zenits this weekend and will post some of the results
10-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum

The Spotmatic F is a beauty, I have one and enjoy using it, probably more discerning about what scenes I press the shutter on as it is film and only 36 shots.
10-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

The Spotmatic F is a beauty, I have one and enjoy using it, probably more discerning about what scenes I press the shutter on as it is film and only 36 shots.
Hi, yes that is certainly part of it! I find I am much more considered when shooting film. With the Canons I shoot away and end up with literally hundreds of images to sort through...With just 36 I find I am more careful...
10-08-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!

Nice gear there and great to hear your story.
10-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi,

Go the spotmatic back from Asahiphoto in Brentford, absolute first class job, cannot rate this company highly enough. I have had the opportunity to compare this directly with a K series and this feels brand new in comparison. I Shot a roll of HP5+ with it for a specific task for college and I will post some of the results tomorrow. Developed with Cinestill DF96 and then scanned with an Epson perfection V600
12-05-2019, 03:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Hello Jim and welcome from South Aus. This forum is a great place to share your work and get some really good feedback, so I look forward to seeing your course work!
12-05-2019, 04:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forums from Norway...