Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 02:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New here but not to Pentax gear

Just ordered a KP and sigma 17-70 lens. I have a k1000 from ? Late 80s and a S1 from my parents.. looking forward to exploring the old glass, both Kmount and m43, and deciding what to treasure and what to let go of.. if not from my pentax stable then from my large format collection..

I miss the dark room but lack of access is part of what has made it too easy to not shoot.. I am hoping there is some good linux alternatives for a digital darkroom..

I am overwhelmed by the technology as I researched what to get.. please tell me it will get better as I learn my way to the basic settings and can begin shooting old school and learning to appreciate the value of the new tech..

10-11-2019, 02:11 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

lots of friendly members here

and good information as well
10-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back and to PentaxForums. A lot of us have strayed from time to time but returning is so easy!
10-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
G'day mate and welcome to the forum

10-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! There's plenty of great information here. Also some quarreling and some wild speculation, but plenty of great information.
10-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums BLamm
10-11-2019, 02:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome,
The shooting is basically the same. The technology is bell's and whistles.
The digital darkroom is where it is most confusing with every system different.
Make sure to check the forums section on digital processing. Plenty of helpful people.

10-11-2019, 03:13 PM   #8
Closed Account

Hi from Australia.
10-11-2019, 03:22 PM   #9
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Hi from Australia. You will find lots of good info here.
10-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by BLamm Quote
Just ordered a KP and sigma 17-70 lens. I have a k1000 from ? Late 80s and a S1 from my parents.. looking forward to exploring the old glass, both Kmount and m43, and deciding what to treasure and what to let go of.. if not from my pentax stable then from my large format collection..

I miss the dark room but lack of access is part of what has made it too easy to not shoot.. I am hoping there is some good linux alternatives for a digital darkroom..

I am overwhelmed by the technology as I researched what to get.. please tell me it will get better as I learn my way to the basic settings and can begin shooting old school and learning to appreciate the value of the new tech..
Welcome aboard!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, me... I’m happy to work my darkroom in the light these days of digital.
10-12-2019, 02:25 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum and to Pentax (again)! The technology of digital cameras and post-processing programs can be a bit daunting to us "more experienced" folk at first but the wealth of knowledge on this forum is just a 'question/post' away! :-)
Best.
10-12-2019, 02:33 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Rome Italy.
10-12-2019, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!

I'm a linux user for the last 4 or 5 years (after developing software on Windows prior to that and really enjoying the shift). There are many options now for Linux, and software I have used includes (and this is not exhaustive):
1. Rawtherapee: for raw file development and meets most of the post processing needs. It also does a good job with pixel shift files.
2. Dark Table: Another raw development tool thats very good. I used this prior to moving to Rawtherapee.
3. The Gimp: Image editing. Very capable although maybe not quite as easy to use not as much as photoshop (or quite as feature rich) but close enough for me.
10-13-2019, 06:34 PM   #15

Welcome to the forums!