Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #1

New Pentax user (and new SLR user)

Hi Everyone!

Well, since I am in a photography forum, I will talk about my first camera.

It was a Polaroid Spectra that I received as a gift in 1991, for Christmas. I was 9 at that time.

I stopped using it around 1996 and I switched to a simple point-and-shoot 35mm. A Minolta.

I then switched to digital in 2000, with an HP 1.3megapixels.

This was followed by a Nikon Coolpix 4500.

And then a Canon A550 of 7.1 megapixels.

And then I got a smartphone. And I stopped using a "real" camera for ages.

Recently, I started to play again with my old Spectra and started to buy old Polaroid (600) camera also.

A few weeks ago, Polaroid Originals decided to kill the Spectra format.

I decided to go to Instax Wide.

Searching the web for that I found an add for a Pentax K-R with a 18-55 and 55-300 lenses. For 275$.

Finally, I decided that I had enough instant camera and that I should switch to a digital SLR.

And here I am, playing with my "new" camera since last week, reading.

I have a lot to learn in photography. Shutter speed, ISO, focal point, aperture, etc. All new to me.

Anyone have some good tips for me on that btw?

My other hobbies are computer related. I works as a SysAdmin (Windows and storage).

Thanks for reading my poor intro!

10-16-2019, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum and to this complex and sometimes confusing, but always exciting, new form of photography.

I spent years of my life practicing photography on some point-and-shoots, and I am actually really grateful I couldn't afford an SLR at that point. I learned a lot and it stretched me at just the right speed.

You have probably already noticed and may agree, but the greatest learning comes by digesting some new information, and then immediately trying it out before moving onto a new subject.

Books from local libraries are great resources for technical learning and inspiration, along with YouTube videos (I am a sucker for a good video that explains a technique simply). Then go out and try those things. For example, when you are learning about shutter speed and how to freeze fast movement with high shutter speeds and a flash, or use slow shutter speeds to exaggerate movement or let in more light in dark scenarios, go out around the house and try those things out. No need to feel any pressure that pictures have to turn out some way, just play around and you'll be surprised and probably proud of yourself and what you've done. Then come to the forum and share what you got

Welcome again and good luck!
10-16-2019, 06:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

If a manual came with your camera, you may want to check on how the different modes may be used and experiment with them. There is an Auto Pict (green mode) mode available if you would like the camera to figure out settings for a shot for you, but that will not do as well in most cases as using the other modes on your dial such as M, AV, TV, SV, and P which is a semi auto mode. In case you did not receive a manual with your camera, below is an internet address to the Ricoh site where the digital download is available. Internet videos may be able to explain things such as ISO, shutter speed, and aperture subjects, such as on YouTube or Bing videos for example. Also, hands on experience is part of the learning experience, as you most likely already know.

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/download_manual.html

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-16-2019 at 07:10 PM.
10-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome

lots of friendly members and information too:

remember to have fun and experiment

_________

operating manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-r.pdf

in depth review:

Pentax K-r Review
Introduction
Welcome to our second in-depth Pentax DSLR review! We hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoyed our K-5 review!

Overview/General Remarks
Announced on September 9, 2010, the K-r is the new entry-level DSLR, designed with the new user in mind. The design and features are aimed towards the person who is beginning with their first DSLR experience from a point and shoot style of camera. The K-r features many of the settings and modes familiar to the point and shoot photographer, as well as the basic, more manual types of settings found on DSLRs aimed at advanced users.

The K-r is essentially the replacement body for the Pentax K-x, but as both cameras are geared for the new DSLR user, to say that the K-r is intended to be an upgrade for current K-x users would not be entirely accurate. It is still the step between compact cameras and the more advanced DSLR body. Keeping this in mind, while some comparisons to the K-x will be made where there are obvious new features added, point-by-point comparisons between the two cameras will not be made. Please see Beginner DSLR · $400-$800 · 10.2-12.4 Megapixels : K-r/K-x/K-m for a point-by-point features comparisons between the two cameras, as well as the K-m, for this information. Other feature-by-feature comparisons can be found at Pentax DSLR Comparison.

Read more at: Pentax K-r Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

owner reviews and more info:

The K-r introduced in 2010 is a 12.4 megapixel intro-level DSLR from Pentax complete with many advanced features, including Shake Reduction, a 6FPS shutter, and ISO 25,600. The K-r body-only was available new for under $550; a one-lens kit w/18-55mm costs under $600, a two-lens kit w/18-55mm & 50-200mm costs under $650, and a two-lens kit w/18-55mm & 55-300mm costs just over $700. . ,. .

Read more at: Pentax K-r - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Articles that might be of interest

Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners
A detailed look at the fundamentals of exposure, shutter speed, and aperture
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on May 25, 2015

Read more at: Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet
Capturing portraits of family and friends is fun but challenging.
By Inexorable in Articles and Tips on Jun 25, 2014

Read more at: Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

10-16-2019, 07:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to PentaxForums!
10-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums, from Australia. You may find that DSLRs are addictive.
10-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums.

If a manual came with your camera, you may want to check on how the different modes may be used and experiment with them. There is an Auto Pict (green mode) mode available if you would like the camera to figure out settings for a shot for you, but that will not do as well in most cases as using the other modes on your dial such as M, AV, TV, SV, and P which is a semi auto mode. In case you did not receive a manual with your camera, below is an internet address to the Ricoh site where the digital download is available. Internet videos may be able to explain things such as ISO, shutter speed, and aperture subjects, such as on YouTube or Bing videos for example. Also, hands on experience is part of the learning experience, as you most likely already know.

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks.

Already DL my manual and went rapidly through it.

I was now perfectly happy with the "Auto" mode and went to the P mode (like I was using on my Nikon in the past).
10-16-2019, 07:37 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
welcome

lots of friendly members and information too:

remember to have fun and experiment

_________

operating manual

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-r.pdf

in depth review:

Pentax K-r Review
Introduction
Welcome to our second in-depth Pentax DSLR review! We hope you enjoy it as much as you enjoyed our K-5 review!

Overview/General Remarks
Announced on September 9, 2010, the K-r is the new entry-level DSLR, designed with the new user in mind. The design and features are aimed towards the person who is beginning with their first DSLR experience from a point and shoot style of camera. The K-r features many of the settings and modes familiar to the point and shoot photographer, as well as the basic, more manual types of settings found on DSLRs aimed at advanced users.

The K-r is essentially the replacement body for the Pentax K-x, but as both cameras are geared for the new DSLR user, to say that the K-r is intended to be an upgrade for current K-x users would not be entirely accurate. It is still the step between compact cameras and the more advanced DSLR body. Keeping this in mind, while some comparisons to the K-x will be made where there are obvious new features added, point-by-point comparisons between the two cameras will not be made. Please see Beginner DSLR · $400-$800 · 10.2-12.4 Megapixels : K-r/K-x/K-m for a point-by-point features comparisons between the two cameras, as well as the K-m, for this information. Other feature-by-feature comparisons can be found at Pentax DSLR Comparison.

Read more at: Pentax K-r Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

owner reviews and more info:

The K-r introduced in 2010 is a 12.4 megapixel intro-level DSLR from Pentax complete with many advanced features, including Shake Reduction, a 6FPS shutter, and ISO 25,600. The K-r body-only was available new for under $550; a one-lens kit w/18-55mm costs under $600, a two-lens kit w/18-55mm & 50-200mm costs under $650, and a two-lens kit w/18-55mm & 55-300mm costs just over $700. . ,. .

Read more at: Pentax K-r - Pentax K-mount DSLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Articles that might be of interest

Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners
A detailed look at the fundamentals of exposure, shutter speed, and aperture
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on May 25, 2015

Read more at: Exposure Basics: A Complete Guide for Beginners - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet
Capturing portraits of family and friends is fun but challenging.
By Inexorable in Articles and Tips on Jun 25, 2014

Read more at: Photographing Family and Friends: A Cheat Sheet - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
Wow! Thanks for the links.

I already read the review on DPReview. I thing it is a really good start for a camera for me.

---------- Post added 10-16-19 at 07:39 PM ----------

Quick questions (maybe I am not a good place but still).

Auto ISO should be between what and what? I put 200-800 (I have not enable extended support in the C menu).

The color options (the kind of pentagram) is on "Bright". Good for everyday photo or I should put it to normal ?

10-16-2019, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Anarethos Quote
Thanks.

Already DL my manual and went rapidly through it.

I was now perfectly happy with the "Auto" mode and went to the P mode (like I was using on my Nikon in the past).

That's good. An example of a video is below (shortcut). If you actually click on the youtube marking at the top of the video image it will bring you to youtube to watch and be able to enlarge the screen (full screen) if you want to, instead of just watching the smaller screen.

Last edited by C_Jones; 10-16-2019 at 08:11 PM.
10-16-2019, 09:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic in 1978. Next camera was a Canon AE-1 program in the 80s.
10-16-2019, 09:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great intro! Welcome to the forum!

There are lots of great resources on this forum. The Social groups are a great way to hone your skills.

I look forward to seeing some of you photographs sometime.
10-16-2019, 09:47 PM   #12
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia.
10-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum enjoy your time here with us all.
10-17-2019, 12:47 AM   #14

Welcome to the forums
10-17-2019, 02:37 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums from Norway...