Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello from CT/NJ/NY!

It's been wonderful ownership experience with Pentax K200D since I bought it with a kit lens back in July 08. Since then I added Tamron 70-300mm (mainly because of its price at around $130 from Amazon) for telephoto/zoom purpose and the infamous FA 50mm f1.4 ($199 at B&H) to my collection along with AF 360 flash.

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in January 09, and that was a reason good enough for my purchase, and we've been more than happy with our first DSLR. I initially ordered Oly E510 with two kit lens mainly because of the price, but shortly after placing order I found K200D on Amazon. At that time Pentax was offering a nice rebate on it, so I jumped on the opportunity, and returned the E510 without even bothering opening the package.

As a novice to DSLR world, I make most of my gear purchases through Amazon, but if you Pentax pros can direct me to something better and reliable along with better pricing, please let me know!

Now FA 50mm is nice, but I'm looking to replace my kit lens with something nice that handles indoors very well. Like I mentioned earlier I will be using it on my newborn baby, I want a piece of glass that handles lowlight indoor shots well without a use of flash. I looked into DA 16-50mm f2.8, but a lot of posts here turned me off as I, too, didn't want to go through the hassle.

I know this is supposed to be an introduction post, but if you can put your two cents in, that will be super!

All in all, I'm glad to be here sharing a great Pentax ownership!

Last edited by gomdori; 10-16-2008 at 03:07 PM.
10-16-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your forthcoming addition to the family.
Suggestions for you to look at, Tamron 28-75, Tamron 17-50, Sigma 24-60 all three are well liked by their owners. You could also look at the FA35, it's the sister lens to the FA50 1.4, $100 more expensive but still good value for a well performing prime.
10-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanx!

Thank you for your recommendation. I'll definitely look into those lenses. In fact, I was looking at the reviews on sigma lens on Amazon. The price looks pretty good at $199.
10-17-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Gomdori, I live in the Bronx so you prolly drive right thru my 'hood to get to CT. This is a pretty nifty site with lots of good advice. I'd check out the Sigma 24mm F1.8 in addition to the lenses mentioned by DB above. It is a good lens and one or two stops faster than those above. It's not real cheap but it's also not prohibitively expensive either. I use mine as a "club lens" to capture musicians working in relative low light environments. It's also considerably wider than the FA 50 which helps with tight indoor shots.

NaCl(blow your horn as you go thru northeastern bronx and I'll wave to you )H2O

10-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
cool

Thank you!. I'll definitely check out that sigma 24mm.
I'm not too familiar with this tristate area except where I live and work, but hopefully you are in the 'hood and not hood