Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #1

Uh.. hello.

Hi, I'm Ben from Gloucestershire, UK.
First got into film when I was about 10 and grandfather gave me one of his brood, a Praktica PLC2 with flash and a couple of lenses. He'd moved onto Pentax (P30T) and some more lenses, and still used an Exacta.
I used the Praktica for quite a few years, then went OM10 for a short while (didn't like it, can't put finger on why) then a Nikon D70 and sort of fell out of love with photography (Digital, instant gratification, firing off 50 frames in hit-n-miss fashion until I got something passable, no love).
Generation iPhonography hits and any love or craft I had for photography is forgotten for another 10 years. Until now.

Last month on a visit to a seldom seen aunt in Cornwall I was given Grandad's Exacta and the P30T with lenses and bags etc. I had no idea it was all still around seeing that he died in 2004 or something! Sadly the P30T is near-dead, sticky shutter and suspect metering, but I love the size/weight and wanted to make use of the lenses.
Searched around for opinions on small light Pentax SLRs, found an ME Super in great nick on eBay 3 weeks ago and bought it. While I waited for the Pentax to arrive I stuck some HP5 in the Exacta and took it, along with a light meter (never used one previously!) to an 'American classics' themed event at the local hill-climb and enjoyed every minute of it! Forgive me for sharing some Exacta shots on a Pentax forum, but honestly I was IN LOVE with film again within about 10 minutes, and surprised that any of them came out of this 41 year old camera with very rusty user.

The first roll of film through the ME Super is going to be developed tomorrow, can't wait!

(the '32 Roadster is the first pic I took with camera. The Indian is my favourite. The panned Vixen is technically terrible - I clearly need to practice panning and focus - but I love that it looks like it was taken back in '67)

Cheers.

Edit: I scanned these with a negative scanner I borrowed, and now see I didn't crop them very well! gahhh.
Edit 2: Just remembered, I pushed EV by +1 in PotatoShop for all of the images - really need to learn how to use that light meter - and sharpened the hot-rod a little. Cheating! Not an instant ban I hope

Attached Images

Last edited by Beepaitch; 10-28-2019 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Adding more info
10-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #2

Welcome Ben
10-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome!
10-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Hampshire, Ben. I don’t think post processing is bannable!

10-28-2019, 12:22 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! Off to a great start with what you have and will only improve from here! The forum is a great place to learn from others and there is a very low "snark" factor I find refreshing when asking for assistance. Keep up the great shots - look forward to seeing more. Cheers.
10-28-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Ben from New Zealand!

The ME Super is great little camera - I have one although sadly not used since I got a K-1. I do like the feel and character of many of the older lenses though.
10-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #7

Uh this is going to be a weird post but I think I know you from another large internet site. How random. Or not because I also love my Pentax.

10-28-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GREAT film shots. Welcome to the forum!
10-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! Some people think editing film results is cheating but only good-naturedly, I feel. I edit mine if they need it. Congrats on the ME Super and I look forward to seeing what you do with it.
10-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
Closed Account

Hi Ben, welcome from Australia.
10-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Ben.
10-28-2019, 03:31 PM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks folks. Agree with the low-snark comment, it’s been super welcoming and helpful so far 👍

QuoteOriginally posted by DasKaltblut Quote
Uh this is going to be a weird post but I think I know you from another large internet site. How random. Or not because I also love my Pentax.
Whaaaat. Where’s that then?
10-28-2019, 03:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Australia, Ben. It seems you’ve made a contribution to the discussion, already.
10-28-2019, 09:53 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome Ben

I too started on Praktica, but with the slightly later MTL-3. It eventually succumbed to fungus in the prism! Tough camera otherwise!

Enjoy!
10-29-2019, 01:26 AM   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to photography.