Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Pentax LX Technical Question, New to Forum and Somewhat to Film SLR Cameras

Hello all glad to have found this site and to see Pentax has such a great following for the older cameras. I own a Canon 6D and a number of great lenses but having received a Pentax Super ME from my dad I have recently gotten into shooing film along with doing my own developing and scanning.

Unfortunately the Super ME needs work out of my scope so I am going to send it south to hopefully get it sorted out.

Needing another camera I am now the new owner of a late model Pentax LX that is in great condition, except for the mirror bumper(s) that is.

The bumper was replaced as one long piece of open cell foam that was completely deteriorated and also covering the focus screen latch, so I am guessing the bumper should be 2 pieces.

I have successfully removed the gooey mess and taken some nice shots without any bumper but I do want to fix it correctly using sticky back FELT pieces that should be more or less Permanent.

So my technical question is does anyone know of how thick the pieces should be so as to not interfere with the mirror lockup feature, my best guess is 2mm.

If anyone has done this job and could give some assistance it really would be great

Thanks!!

Last edited by repentaxer; 11-03-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: misspelled title
11-03-2019, 06:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. You might want to email Eric at pentaxrepairs@aol.com. He has served us well for many years.
11-03-2019, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on Pentax film cameras but I'm sure there are people here who can help. You may want to direct your questions to the Pentax Film SLR Discussion forum. Anyway, glad you are here and looking forward to seeing some more posts.
11-03-2019, 11:58 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi from Australia. I also don't have the technical know how to help you, but I'm sure somebody will chime in. Good luck.

11-04-2019, 03:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, I can have a look at mine when I get back to base camp if that helps.
11-04-2019, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
11-04-2019, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am unsure of the thickness required unfortunately.
I have started collecting all SLR/DSLR cameras & lenses from Ricoh & Pentax but the LX is not yet in my collection and therefore can't relay the information for you.
This may be as silly suggestion but have you considered buying a broken version off of eBay for parts?
I wish you good luck in any case.

11-04-2019, 06:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi VILLANofOZ, You should have no problem finding a good LX on eBay the camera is so well made it is hard to find a completely bad one just being sold just for parts.

If you did find a fried one it would probably still go for a couple hundred, and the bumpers would probably still be gunk like they are on most old cameras. You could then collect all the accessories some of which are getting hard to come by.

Edit: I have also learned there are 9 variations of the LX over it's 21 year production run and certain internal parts are not interchangeable, yikes

Last edited by repentaxer; 11-04-2019 at 06:05 PM. Reason: addition too
11-04-2019, 11:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks all for the welcome!

I ended up using 3mm thick felt strip trimmed to fit on both sides of focus screen latch. Before installing used soldering iron on low heat to melt the felt a bit so it would not produce fibers.
Mirror lockup and shutter work fine
11-05-2019, 02:11 AM - 1 Like   #10

Welcome from France
11-05-2019, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum