Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New to forum and my first Pentax in forty years.

My first SLR as a teenager was my father's old Honeywell Pentax H3v. After uni my father wanted the camera back as he was getting back into photography so I bought a SLR of my own, a used Contax RTS. This quickly developed issues and Contax rather amazingly gave me a brand new RTS II to replace it! I shot with the RTS II for a couple of decades, but also got into Nikon a bit so i could share some of my father's more exotic glass now and then - his pockets being much deeper than mine at the time. Meanwhile I branched off into shooting medium format (Rollei, Hasselblad) and some sheet film (up to 8x10). All of the things I've got going currently in terms of gear are in my profile so I won't bore folks by making a list.

So currently I'm rather coming full circle in having purchased a Pentax LX. It will be arriving later this week accompanied by a 28 f2.8, 50 f1.2, 135 f3.5 and 200 f4 plus a bunch of other goodies. I've long had a deep admiration for the LX as a friend had one for a time and finding one in combination with the 50 f1.2 it was more than I could resist. When the LX arrives it will go to visit my tech for the full CLA and then we'll get out and do some shooting! Any LX tips or lens suggestion are more than welcome, of course!

11-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

lots of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

here is a link to the user reviews of the LX

Pentax LX - Pentax Manual Focus Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
11-03-2019, 04:31 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Welcome and hope to see more photos from you
11-03-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from New Zealand!

Nice range you have there. The only real hole is something wider than 28mm (if that appeals to you). Something like a SMC Pentax 20mm F4 Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database would be great (I don't have one but would like one).

11-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
11-03-2019, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
LX with 50 f1.2 ? Hard to get any better than that!
Looking forward to see it and its results.
11-03-2019, 07:13 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums. It looks like you have the 'creme de la creme' in terms of Pentax 35 mm film setups. Anyway, glad you are here and looking forward to more posts and some shots from that LX.

11-03-2019, 07:18 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
11-03-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, all!

Yes, I am really looking forward to the arrival of the LX and all of the goodies that are coming with it. It even comes with a rather decent camera bag. As to lenses - I will see what the possibilities hold with what come with the camera, but something wider than 28mm would be nice and I'm contemplating perhaps the 40mm f2.8 pancake? It would allow for a reasonably pocketable version of the camera for those times when traveling really light is in order. I had the 45mm f2.8 Tessar with my Contax set and it had some really admirable qualities. I'm guessing the Pentax version is also some variant on the Tessar formula? I'll have to look that up.

Once the LX has been given the full spa treatment I'll get out and do some shooting and will certainly post some results. When it comes to film I mostly shoot B&W, Ilford HP5 or PanF. Obviously not shot with the Pentax (as it hasn't arrived yet) a shot taken in Detroit's Eastern Market with my Nikon F4 and 50 f1.4 Nikkor on HP5. I'm a big fan of 50mm primes.
11-03-2019, 07:31 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you mean primes or prime ribs?
I'm a fan of both!
11-03-2019, 07:51 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fiddlefye Quote
My first SLR as a teenager was my father's old Honeywell Pentax H3v. After uni my father wanted the camera back as he was getting back into photography so I bought a SLR of my own, a used Contax RTS. This quickly developed issues and Contax rather amazingly gave me a brand new RTS II to replace it! I shot with the RTS II for a couple of decades, but also got into Nikon a bit so i could share some of my father's more exotic glass now and then - his pockets being much deeper than mine at the time. Meanwhile I branched off into shooting medium format (Rollei, Hasselblad) and some sheet film (up to 8x10). All of the things I've got going currently in terms of gear are in my profile so I won't bore folks by making a list.

So currently I'm rather coming full circle in having purchased a Pentax LX. It will be arriving later this week accompanied by a 28 f2.8, 50 f1.2, 135 f3.5 and 200 f4 plus a bunch of other goodies. I've long had a deep admiration for the LX as a friend had one for a time and finding one in combination with the 50 f1.2 it was more than I could resist. When the LX arrives it will go to visit my tech for the full CLA and then we'll get out and do some shooting! Any LX tips or lens suggestion are more than welcome, of course!
Welcome... I grew up in Windsor, went to J.L Forster up to grade 12 before I moved to Toronto. MY first teaching assignment was there, back in 1981 at Shawnee Technical.
11-03-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Welcome... I grew up in Windsor, went to J.L Forster up to grade 12 before I moved to Toronto. MY first teaching assignment was there, back in 1981 at Shawnee Technical.
Cool! I live in Walkerville, taught for many years at WCCA at Walkverville Collegiate. I grew up in TO, moved to Windsor in '84 planning on being here no more than a year and 35 years later here i am!
11-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Do you mean primes or prime ribs?
I'm a fan of both!
Both!
11-03-2019, 10:45 PM   #14
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums from Australia. You have chosen a good starting point for a film shooter.
11-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #15
Closed Account

Hi Bruce, another welcome from Australia.