Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #1

auto focus film camera recomendation

I want to get a Pentax SLR film camera that has auto focus, aperture priority, shutter priority and ability to push/pull film. Also simple easy to use. Basically a Pentax K1000 with auto focus. Anyone have any recommendations?

11-12-2019, 10:40 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nothing is going to quite be an autofocus K1000...

I have a ZX-L, and a number of that family are nice to use, though they have a common mirror gear failure you need to watch out for. The ZX-5, ZX-6/L, etc. are in that batch.

The PZ-20 and PZ-1 are also good choices, though a generation older.

The SF-1/X is older yet, but is robust.

Id suggest you wander through the reviews section of the forum. It has all the details for individual models.

-Eric
11-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The pz1 has an awesome sounding shutter, and while older, it feels much more robust than the zx series. It has the same if not better features. I believe it isn't prone to the mirror gear failure of some of the zx cameras. The only downsides are bulk and expensive battery (but it lasts long)

I also liked my zx-l when I had it

Any camera that allows you to manually set the iso will allow to push/pull. Worst case, you can hack the canisters with your own code, never done but it seems pretty simple. What's not like the mechanical k1000 is battery free operation, but I've run out of batteries only once in the field despite always having a spare (or because....)
11-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PENNY1-4 Quote
I want to get a Pentax SLR film camera that has auto focus, aperture priority, shutter priority and ability to push/pull film. Also simple easy to use. Basically a Pentax K1000 with auto focus. Anyone have any recommendations?
Welcome to the forum!

Do you currently have any Pentax lenses? Note some of the simpler Pentax AF bodies have a 'crippled" mount and do not work well with older Pentax manual focus lenses.

As mentioned above I would also recommend the Z-1p / PZ-1p, it's not simple but works well with all but the newest Pentax lenses.

Phil.

11-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.

I'm sorry I have no knowledge of autofocus... as I'm still using manual film based lenses to this day on digital (I'm old school).
11-12-2019, 01:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
11-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. The closest AF body is the SFX/SFXn (SF1 in the US), it's the most robust Pentax AF SLR and with the right battery holder will run off AA batteries.

The Z-1 is better but doesn't feel as well made and needs 2CR5 batteries. The MZ-5n offers your requirements and will run off AA batteries with the right grip - more modern than the SFX but feels more flimsy.

Edit: The SFX(n) also offer a digital focus aid which indicates which way to turn the focussing ring.

Not forgetting the ME-F which is an ME Super with a crude digital 'in focus' indicator (if it still works).
11-12-2019, 05:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Not forgetting the ME-F which is an ME Super with a crude digital 'in focus' indicator (if it still works).
The ME-F is probably the closest to an autofocus K1000 there is, but thats mainly due to its age and the fact it will fire without batteries at a single shutter speed.

Its autofocus is terrible and only works with one lens. The focus confirmation is cool, though, and works with any lens fast enough.

The ME-F and Nikon F3af may be the only autofocus SLRs that will fire without batteries...

-Eric

11-13-2019, 02:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PENNY1-4 Quote
Welcome to the forum. I have a few SFX and SFXn cameras. I think they'd be just the thing you're looking for. But, don't expect the AF to be as good as current DSLRS.
11-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums from Norway...
11-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PZ-1 is my favorite. PZ-1p is better still but I've never used one. These are known as Z-1 Z-1p outside North America.
12-02-2019, 05:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I welcome you to the Pentax forums from Australia.
I hope you find out what camera you are after with the help mentioned above because I honestly have zero idea without research.
Enjoy the forums and the vast knowledge within.