Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2008, 05:22 PM   #16
Veteran Member

woo hoo ... more south coast people.

My uncle lives in Oak Flats ... and I am down that way on the odd occasion.

For portrait zooms ... your best bet would either be the DA* lenses ... not cheap ... but either the 16-50mm f/2.8 (not easy to find a good one ... has been plagued with issues) ... and the 50-135mm f/2.8 for the long side of things ... a stellar lens in any book.

Welcome to the forums and enjoy.

Need to organise another Sydney meet up somewhere again and get a group going again.

10-29-2008, 10:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
^^ Nxt time you are down this way PM me and will have a few ales etc LOL
As oak flats is just down the hill from me

cheers
10-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Hi

Hi,
Illawarra coast, Eurobodalla coast, Sapphire coast, now where south.

Welcome Vanessa. Look at my photos in the P/S section. You and hubby get down to Bittangabee and Greencape, Wonboyn, Nadgee, Saltwater Ck, Baycliff and Greenglades.

Love the shots by the way.

Peter
10-31-2008, 03:28 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanessapikerussell Quote
Thank you for the welcome!

I live so close to Lake Illawarra, I should be out there taking more images. Here are a few, including one that was featured in the Illawarra Mercury a while back

Thanks for all the effort to post these images. They are truely fabulous in deed.

I was going through the NSW map and looking through so many national parks for some good photography opportunities. This lake definitely comes across my mind and my first question was whether it had been dried up or not...

Looks like a good stop to drop by as well.

10-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #20
Veteran Member

^^^ The lake is full and well worth the stop.Recently it has been opened up to the ocean and recent rainfall has helped
Plenty to tickle the imagination here

cheers
11-01-2008, 01:22 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vanessapikerussell Quote
I was just hoping there was a lens which had a small zoom and aperture of around f2.
I'm not sure such a zoom exists and it would be rather large and expensive, I suppose.

The closest I can think of -- my knowledge is limited -- is the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. It is rather fast for a zoom and said to be very good.

It won't address your portrait needs, but then your nifty fifty doesn't do that either really. For a portrait you want a longer focal length in order to minimise the distortion of facial components (in the extreme, large nose and tiny eyes) that comes from a perspective that results from too close a distance.
11-01-2008, 01:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I think we need to do a meet up down the coast one weekend ... try and get other Sydneysiders down as well .. and get some shots around there.

I remember being at family friend place at Mt Warrigal ... and overlooking the Lake and it was literally dirt a few years back ... it was the lowest I had seen it.

Looking at these images though makes me wish I could make it back down at Narooma again ... such a magical place to relax for a while.

I agree with Class A ... the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is meant to be a great lens (if it is anything like my Tamron Macro ... should be a great lens)

11-01-2008, 06:23 PM   #23
Veteran Member

^^^ My best man lives @ Mt Warrigal and is 2 mins away.Has views from Lake up to hill 60 @ Port kembla

I'd think thats a fantastic idea down the coast up and about

cheers
01-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #24

Original Poster
Anyone interested in a picnic at Boonerah Point, Mount Warrigal?
There's a hamburgers, fish and chips shop a short stroll away and there is a jetty there with some great views. Either that or the Reddall Reserve at Windang / Lake Illawarra.
01-24-2009, 12:12 PM   #25
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, as you can already tell we do have one or two other folk from your neck of the woods in here.
01-24-2009, 12:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello Vanessa and welcome. Great to welcome another member to the Aussie contingent.
Beautiful part of the world you live in, as you show in those shots.
Look forward to seeing more of your beautiful photos.
01-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Like Cupic I'm a regular at the Kiama-Shellharbour Camera Club first and third Wednesday of the month. I hope to see some of the locals there!

I really hope we can do a photowalk sometime in the near future

Last edited by vanessapikerussell; 01-24-2009 at 07:09 PM.
01-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

NicholasN is trying also to organize a day in the big smoke(Sydney)
Might I susggest this site

Free Photo Guides Australia - NSW

Missed the first meeting of the year but will be there for the next

cheers