Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 08:18 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Lake Illawarra, NSW Australia

I have been a pentaxian since meeting my husband back in 1995. He introduced me to his Pentax KM and Pentax Spotmatic. When I finally plunged into digital slr land it was the Pentax istDl and Pentax K10D units that I invested in, mostly because I know it is quality and because there were all the Pentax K mount lenses about. I am very happy with my choice and will soon be upgrading to the Pentax K20D.

I purchased a Pentax FA 50mm f1.4 which replaced the manual 50mm f1.8 lens that I had taken from the Pentax KM and used with the istDL and K10D. It is a beautiful lens and I rarely take it off.

I am looking to invest in another lens with the purchase of the k20D. I'd appreciate some suggestions. I already have the kit lenses (Pentax FA 18-55 and Sigma 18-55), two telephoto lenses (sigma 28-200, sigma 75-300) and the 50mm f1.4. I am working as a portrait photographer so something that is good in low light but that I can zoom.

The 50mm f1.4 has me taking several steps back, a downside that it doesn't zoom but the quality more than makes up for it. The 40mm f2.8 limited lens is high on my wish list but would be great if you could suggest any other lenses.

Thanks in advance!

Vanessa

10-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. I would be really keen to see what this lake looks like in your vincinity with your images
10-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Welcome Vanessa, I too am intrigued by the place you live, pleasse post some shots of the lake and its environs.
10-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hi Vanessa,

Welcome. Sounds like you've got some good kit to be going on with.

I'm not sure about using a zoom for portrait work (though others may disagree) as you'll always be limited by the smaller apertures - most don't maintain the same aperture as the focal length is increased.

For classical portrait work in 35mm film work 85-100mm lenses were often suggested (moves you away from the subject enough to be candid), so in the case of the APS-C format you'd be looking at something around 75mm. You've already got that with one of your zooms, but if you don't mind using your feet as the zoom control, think about a wider aperture fixed focal length lens (I think there is a Pentax 77mm F1.8 P-FA Limited Lens for around AUD$1000 that would fit the bill, or for a bit less the Pentax 70mm F2.4 SMC DA Limited Lens for about AUD$650) - the 77mm would be great in low light conditions.

Check out the lens discussion and reviews in the forum as to how good they are.....

Good luck with the lens hunting!

10-19-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome Vanessa from(KS camera club)glad to see that you have found this close knit community.Hope to see more of your work.hopefully I can make the next meeting to join up soon.

Spread the news to Steve and get him to join the more the merrier

cheers

Ivan
10-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #6
Inactive Account

A prime ain't a step back nor is not zooming a downside. And the term "fast zoom" seems to be an oxymoron.

Welcome to the forum. Go the Dragons!
10-20-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
Inactive Account

You're our first "Shlarba" resident as far as I'm aware, so welcome! I look forward to seeing some shots of the south coast.

10-20-2008, 05:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was the first in Shellharbour just didnt elaborate on the destination LOL

cheers
10-20-2008, 05:56 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Sorry, Cupic!
So is "shlarba" about right? That's what it sounds like when most people from down there tell me where they live!
10-20-2008, 06:45 AM   #10
Inactive Account

See, we do have regional accents!
10-20-2008, 08:31 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Welcome to the forum. I would be really keen to see what this lake looks like in your vincinity with your images
Thank you for the welcome!

I live so close to Lake Illawarra, I should be out there taking more images. Here are a few, including one that was featured in the Illawarra Mercury a while back

Last edited by vanessapikerussell; 10-20-2008 at 09:03 AM.
10-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
Hi Vanessa,

Welcome. Sounds like you've got some good kit to be going on with.

I'm not sure about using a zoom for portrait work (though others may disagree) as you'll always be limited by the smaller apertures - most don't maintain the same aperture as the focal length is increased.
I know a photographer that uses a zoom for portrait work but his lens cost more than my camera! lol I do love the sharp, low light features of the 50mm f1.4 lens but there are times when I can't take another step or two backward and the shot is almost impossible to get.

QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote
For classical portrait work in 35mm film work 85-100mm lenses were often suggested (moves you away from the subject enough to be candid), so in the case of the APS-C format you'd be looking at something around 75mm. You've already got that with one of your zooms, but if you don't mind using your feet as the zoom control, think about a wider aperture fixed focal length lens
The event I photographed yesterday was indoors and outdoors. Outdoors wasn't a problem but when you have tables and chairs, balloons and other obstacles, a zoom would be handy. I love the low-light capabilities of my 50mm f1.4 but had to swap to my Pentax 18-55mm kit lens so that I could capture a group of 60 or zoom in on individual tables.

QuoteQuote:
(I think there is a Pentax 77mm F1.8 P-FA Limited Lens for around AUD$1000 that would fit the bill, or for a bit less the Pentax 70mm F2.4 SMC DA Limited Lens for about AUD$650) - the 77mm would be great in low light conditions.

Check out the lens discussion and reviews in the forum as to how good they are.....

Good luck with the lens hunting!
Thank you! Definitely some food for thought.
10-20-2008, 08:50 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Welcome Vanessa from(KS camera club)glad to see that you have found this close knit community.Hope to see more of your work.hopefully I can make the next meeting to join up soon.

Spread the news to Steve and get him to join the more the merrier

cheers

Ivan
Thanks for the welcome, Ivan! It was nice meeting you last week. KSCC is a great camera club. I have really learned a great deal and met some wonderful photographers. I've even managed to lure one (Steve) over to Pentax, whereas most are in the Nikon vs Canon camps

I rarely printed my photos larger than 4 x 6 before I joined up and started entering competitions. In the Bokeh theme competition I had used my nifty 50 to capture a portrait of Keith from Sydney Bus Museum that won a Merit. The bus museum had some tricky lighting and the nifty fifty didn't let me down I was just hoping there was a lens which had a small zoom and aperture of around f2.
10-21-2008, 08:30 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bonovox Quote
Sorry, Cupic!
So is "shlarba" about right? That's what it sounds like when most people from down there tell me where they live!
Sounds pretty close! lol
Lovely area. I moved away to Tasmania 2000-2002, then moved back to NSW settling in Keiraville, now back in Lake Illawarra and enjoying revisiting the old haunts. Windang, Windang Island, Warilla Beach, Barrack Point, Shellharbour are all very scenic spots well worth the trip!
10-23-2008, 05:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes I witnessed your Merit award and the shot was a great concept you thoroughly deserved the Merit

cheers