Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome onboard, enjoy your time spent here with us all.

12-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #17
Closed Account

Hi Paul, welcome from Australia.
12-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Welcome to the board!
Thanks Will!
12-03-2019, 04:44 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Victoria Australia

12-03-2019, 06:34 AM   #20
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pherbert Quote
The Spotmatic, of course, was a film camera, so it forced you learn a bit more about how it worked and it spurred an interest in film developing in the darkroom as it was exclusively non-digital. The commonalities of photographic fundamentals from camera control and manipulation of aperture, shutter speed, ISO, focus, film resolution, etc... are still there and apart from all the technological advances affecting camera and lens operations, that magic of looking at the world through the lens remains a commonality. That lens, that view - full frame - provided by the Spotmatic is what drew me to the K1 (Mark II) to hopefully capture just a bit more or have the ability to exclude a bit less in a photograph or digital image. - Paul

---------- Post added 12-02-19 at 08:48 AM ----------

By the way, I enjoyed your 500px album. I will say, that I am unfamiliar with 500px but see that they have a membership plan that includes the Adobe Photo plan!
Thanks Paul! 500px is like fancy flickr. You can make an account for free, it just limits how many pictures you can upload in a week.

I never had a chance to try film seriously, I started with a Pentax digital slr. That said, I've always preferred trying to use my dslr more simply rather than all the automatic modes. spot focus, manual exposure with checking the exposure meter. It's a better experience but I'm sure it still doesn't compare to using a film camera. That said if i'm under pressure or a time constraint, all the modern features are super helpful!
12-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pherbert Quote
Hello: My name is Paul from North Carolina and my first camera was a wonderful Ashai Pentax Spotmatic given to me by my aunt Lola. I loved this camera. It took me through college and captured so many incredible moments - the birth of my son, a sleeping beagle puppy (Beatrice) on my shoe and lots of other moments both memorable and mundane. If I remember correctly, the Takamur 50mm was the the go-to lens through which these photographic moments happened. I've come back to Pentax after so may years (K1-Mark II) to find new moments and build new memories. I look forward to being a part of the Pentax forum which has been a rich trove of information and learning.
Welcome! The K-1? You will love it. I envy you. I think many of us here do. Welcome from Missouri
01-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum! Greetings from Guatemala Paul

01-09-2020, 04:34 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Paul- Nice back story to getting here!