Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2019, 02:08 AM   #1

Can I use the Viewfinder for Video on KS2 Camera?

I do not use video normally but went to recently ,

I found I could only use the screen , not viewfinder .
Cannot find anything in Start Guide book , so showing off my ignorance of Video by appealing for help.
I normally for stills Always use viewfinder as I cannot see screen clearly, when I can see it at all in sunlight.

Thanks in hopes of Help being here soon.
Cheers

Derek

12-07-2019, 02:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is sadly not possible, because the mirror needs to be in the up position, and hence blocking the viewfinder.
12-07-2019, 04:39 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I’ll just say welcome to the forum, as your question has already been answered.
12-07-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

There is no DSLR that can do that. The mirror has to move in order for the sensor to see anything, blocking the viewfinder. Same reason the viewfinder blacks out momentarily when taking a photo.

12-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll just say Welcome to the only good Pentax forum.

However, I too wish we could use the viewfinder for movies. I can't seem to focus with those screens.
12-07-2019, 07:30 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. You might enjoy reading through the video sections.
12-07-2019, 09:14 AM   #7

Greetings and welcome to the forum. I have a hard time seeing the LCD in bright light also. Since I mostly use the LCD to "chimp" - look at pics after taking them - it has not been as important as trying to shoot video. Some solutions I found are:

1) turning up the brightness on the LCD. Uses battery faster but if your camera can do this, is much easier to see in daylight.

2) Using a Hoodman loupe to cover the LCD - HoodLoupes I found one used at the Adorama used store in like new condition for a good price.

3) if you really get into video, lots of people attach a small monitor to the camera or a rig that holds the camera. Has a separate battery and can be set to make viewing much easier. BH Photo, Adorama and others sell a range of these monitors (check to see if they work with your camera's HDMI out port for real-time shooting).

Whichever way you go, I highly recommend the ebooks specific to your model that are available through this site. They have lots of very helpful information. Good luck with your projects!

12-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Dandy Quote
Greetings and welcome to the forum. I have a hard time seeing the LCD in bright light also. Since I mostly use the LCD to "chimp" - look at pics after taking them - it has not been as important as trying to shoot video.
The first guy I met who admited to feeling comfortable using the LCD was someone who was a professional videographer, so he is used to looking at a picture through a screen.
12-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Don't worry, Pentax doesn't do video.

But you could look into attaching a screen shade if you use video often.

And welcome to the forum!