Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #1

Greetings from New York City!

Hi everyone!
Been lurking around this site for the past 3 weeks, reading alot about the K200D I picked up around September.

My photography experience originated in junior high school, where I got my dad's old 35mm Pentax K1000. Learned about development of B&W film and the general idea of how the camera worked. Got a few point & shoots afterwards and took some decent shots with it. Had to take another photography course as my last elective & final class in CUNY Baruch college and had to use the Ol' K1000 again. I landed a print job in an advertising agency and sparked my interest in the importance of colors & photography. I celebrated my 2 year anniversary working here by spoiling myself with the K200D kit.

I already had a Pentax SMC 28-300mm f/3.8 on permanent lend from my friend, and just picked up a 50mm f/1.4 last week. Just got my M-Rock olympic bag in the mail to store it all and I'm carrying it everywhere I go.

I was raised in New York, so I guess I don't really appreciate all the photographic moments I could get. I'm located in 34th Street Herald Square, and a walk away from a lot of locations (2 blocks from B&H). I bike alot when the weather's good, and hopefully i'll be rollerblading more cause it's alot easier to set up my camera with blades on.

Been reading the manual over and over, and also picked up "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby for reading material. All my shots are currently not edited or retouched in a light room. Mainly cause i'm still learning the in and outs of Photoshop. Kicking myself when I was younger in choosing to learn Paint Shop pro over Photoshop.

I've always lurked on forums and this hopefully, will be one I'll be interacting with on a daily basis. (That is until work picks up!)

Black & White Film, then scanned; shot during my college course.

Shot of the Whitestone Bridge, Queens, NYC, 47.5mm, 10 Sec @ F5.6 ISO100

Shot of the Bottom of a Carnival Ride - Oyster Bay, NY, 55mm, 0.05 Sec @ F22 ISO100

There's more I've taken with my K200D on my Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37314446@N00/sets/72157608237161574/

Last edited by Chewie; 10-21-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: URL Link
10-21-2008, 09:46 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Your images are very impressive! Do you have plans to go to Photo Plus Expo at the Javit's Center?
10-21-2008, 11:53 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the kind words!

I didn't know about the Photo Plus Expo, but it sounds like something fun! Plus Javits is a 4 ave walk down from where I am!

Found this while going to the site:
Free registration for PDN PhotoPlus Expo - dealnews.com

Woot! Free entry! Once I see a coupon code box, I immediately do a search for one.
10-21-2008, 02:06 PM   #4

The Expo is a good time. You get to check out everything photographic and you also get a lot of free stuff. It's worth checking out.

It's being held Oct 23-25.

10-21-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Chewie. I really like your bridge shot. Did it take multiple attempts?

This kind of shot depends on weather conditions & geographical layout. When I tried something like this I didn't get good reflections off the water from the bridge. (Having the city lights behind didn't help either.) See: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/30410-version-do-you-prefer.html

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 10-21-2008 at 10:14 PM.
10-21-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
good findings!
I'm over the river at palisades park, nj. welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the wealth on free pass to the expo. i should go check it out.
oh, really nice pics, too. reminds me of me being stupid around this time last year. ran out of gas right in the middle of the whitestone bridge creating traffic and aggrevating short-tempered new yorkers. lol
10-21-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Welcome Chewie. Nice first shots, I look forward to seeing more.
10-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! Love the photos, especially the bridge. I think I am most envious of the "2 blocks from B&H."

10-22-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome Chewie. Looks like you already have an opportunity to meetup with at least two other forum members.
10-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Chewie. I really like your bridge shot. Did it take multiple attempts? [/URL]
Ohhhh yeah! I shot it with multiple shutter settings, but unfortunately didn't save it in RAW format. Shot it a couple of dozen times, it was a cold night out and I wasn't dressed appropriately, gonna go back soon to do a retake.

QuoteOriginally posted by gomdori Quote
good findings!
I'm over the river at palisades park, nj. welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing the wealth on free pass to the expo. i should go check it out.
oh, really nice pics, too. reminds me of me being stupid around this time last year. ran out of gas right in the middle of the whitestone bridge creating traffic and aggrevating short-tempered new yorkers. lol
THAT WAS YOU ON THE BRIDGE?! hahaha

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Welcome to the forum! Love the photos, especially the bridge. I think I am most envious of the "2 blocks from B&H."
Thanks! haha I felt like I had to add the B&H comment post-posting.

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Welcome Chewie. Looks like you already have an opportunity to meetup with at least two other forum members.
Haven't met anyone from a forum yet, but met plenty of bad dates online back when getting a pic on the internet required a scanner. Oh what the hell, the more the merrier!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes!