Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

welcome to the forum and greetings from Italy.

12-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!
12-17-2019, 02:19 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the PentaxForums from Norway...
12-18-2019, 04:33 AM - 1 Like   #19
Veteran Member

I want to welcome you to the Pentax forums from Australia (yep - another Aussie)

I have noticed in your post that Street photography is one of your main aims.

I would like to suggest the GR III as it has won several awards for street photography.
I know that it is a compact camera, but you wont exactly be spending extra money on lenses so your budget may be just right. The GR III is very lightweight also and may suit your needs as it is an extremely capable camera.
If you are not exactly interested in a DSLR, this my be a better option for you.

12-18-2019, 07:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'day mate and welcome to the forum
12-20-2019, 10:49 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone! I am getting closer to deciding on a Pentax body (K-5, K50, K30, K-S2, or the dream K-3). The K-S2 is probably out of the running as the prices I found are close to the K-3.

Now, lenses... the Pentax SMC DA 50mm F 1.8 Lens for DSLR Camera is a no brainer, correct?

What about older film camera lenses, such as a used Vivitar Auto Telephoto 135mm f2.5 lens? Does this lens work well on modern cameras? How does it work (SLR to DSLR camera lenses)

How about a 1970's Soviet Helios-40 M42 mount 85mm f/1.5 lens? It looks interesting, will it work or will it have problems working with these modern cameras? Why are 85mm lenses are so expensive in general? any cheap/used 85mm lenses?

That is all for now, lots of information on the internet, some goes over my head. thanks again

Last edited by Starrfish; 12-21-2019 at 02:23 AM.
12-21-2019, 01:42 AM   #22
Forum Member

Out of those cameras that you mention I'd go with the K-5. It has the same build and layout as the K-3. It was the flagship model in its day and feels every bit the part. The 16mp sensor performs very respectably. Just a great camera all around. Sure, the other cameras you mention are very good too, but once you hold an all magnesium camera its hard to go back.

Yes, you are correct that the DA 50mm f1.8 is a perfect place to start. I would then compliment it with its sibling: the DA 35mm f2.4 AL. Actually I would get the 35mm first as it has a "normal" field of view. The Pentax kit zooms (DA 18-55mm & DA 50-200mm) are also decent when compared to other brand kit zooms but the two prime lenses mentioned take much nicer photos.

Older lenses such as the ones you mention will work just fine on Pentax DSLR's, however, not a great place to start as they are quite tedious/awkward to use for different reasons. Vintage lenses have to be used (for the most part) in fully manual mode and do not function with any of the cameras automatic settings. They also require an extra step in the picture taking process of metering the scene via a special button before the picture can be taken. All-in-all vintage lenses work great - just not a good starting point IMO.

For any lenses that use an M42 mount you will also need the appropriate adapter and come with their own set of challenges.

As far as vintage lenses go, Pentax-A lenses from the 80's have the "A" setting and are the easiest, most convenient to use. I highly recommend them for a beginner because they function just like any modern lens except for the fact that they have manual focus. Some can be had for fairly cheap too. Finally, there are some other brands that come with the "A" setting which makes them a good choice as well.

12-21-2019, 02:41 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Starrfish Quote
Now, lenses... the Pentax SMC DA 50mm F 1.8 Lens for DSLR Camera is a no brainer, correct?
It's a very good lens and great value. But for photographing your paintings a 50mm f2.8 macro might be more useful - more even flat-field coverage. I got an FA 50mm f2.8 macro for less than $US100. The AF is slow as it has a long throw, but it's otherwise a very good lens for general use too.
01-13-2020, 04:14 PM   #24

Original Poster
Hello everyone... I am closer to finding my camera. I am down to the K-5 IIs w/ "E- condition" ($319 + ship+ tax) or a K-3 w/ "very good condition" ($379 + ship + tax) on adorama.com. Is the price K-3 worth it the price and the less condition on Adorama? Any thoughts on adorama.com? Is it true that the K-3 has a better shutter with over 200,000 clicks-life vs 100,000 clicks-life on the k-5 IIs? thanks!
01-13-2020, 07:59 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello everyone... I am closer to finding my camera. I am down to the K-5 IIs w/ "E- condition" ($319 + ship+ tax) or a K-3 w/ "very good condition" ($379 + ship + tax) on adorama.com. Is the price K-3 worth it the price and the less condition on Adorama? Any thoughts on adorama.com? Is it true that the K-3 has a better shutter with over 200,000 clicks-life vs 100,000 clicks-life on the k-5 IIs? thanks!
I have had my K-3 for about six weeks. I really like it. I paid $405 plus shipping on ebay. It came with a pentax 18-55mm lens, a Sigma 28-300mm lens, a battery grip, 3 batteries and a charger. It had about 9,000 clicks on it (yes it's rated for 200,000 clicks)and seems to be in really clean condition. I do not know much about Adorama as I've never dealt with them. But I would highly recommend the K-3.
01-13-2020, 08:34 PM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
I have had my K-3 for about six weeks. I really like it. I paid $405 plus shipping on ebay. It came with a pentax 18-55mm lens, a Sigma 28-300mm lens, a battery grip, 3 batteries and a charger. It had about 9,000 clicks on it (yes it's rated for 200,000 clicks)and seems to be in really clean condition. I do not know much about Adorama as I've never dealt with them. But I would highly recommend the K-3.
Wow, that was a steal! I am leaning toward the K-3.
01-14-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

They are both excellent cameras. Obviously the K3 has more megapixels (probably not important for most photography), but the bigger thing is that it is faster with regards to operation -- faster frame rate, buffer empties quicker, and feels quicker when you are using it. The K5 II has a really similar body type and produces great photos too.

The shutter is rated for more clicks with the K3, but you do need to remember that there are a lot of other components that will probably go bad before the shutter on either camera -- these are electronics devices after all.

I probably would go for the K3, mainly because it is 2 to 3 years newer and that seems worth the extra 60 dollars, but if money is tight, I think the K5 II is reasonable as well and will likely give many years of shooting satisfaction.
01-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
They are both excellent cameras. Obviously the K3 has more megapixels (probably not important for most photography), but the bigger thing is that it is faster with regards to operation -- faster frame rate, buffer empties quicker, and feels quicker when you are using it. The K5 II has a really similar body type and produces great photos too.

The shutter is rated for more clicks with the K3, but you do need to remember that there are a lot of other components that will probably go bad before the shutter on either camera -- these are electronics devices after all.

I probably would go for the K3, mainly because it is 2 to 3 years newer and that seems worth the extra 60 dollars, but if money is tight, I think the K5 II is reasonable as well and will likely give many years of shooting satisfaction.
Yeah, money is tight, but I think I would be happier with the K-3. It will take another month, but I have nothing but time!
thanks
01-14-2020, 02:05 PM   #29
Pentaxian

FWIW, I would suggest the K-70 - small(ish) and relatively light compared with the K-5/K-3, 24MP, more modern processor, "flippy" screen (very useful for street shooting), very impressive results, and almost the same price new (with a warrantee!) as a used K-5 II or K-3. It's my "walkaround" camera of choice.

All of which would seem to make it a more suitable choice if you are becoming disabled and don't want to spend a lot of cash.

PentaxForums review here and K-70 User reviews here

Last edited by jeallen01; 01-14-2020 at 02:36 PM.
01-17-2020, 06:30 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Q is a nice series, but it will not be cheap to get more than a couple lenses.
The K5 series is likely to be a sweet spot for used prices and capabilities. Mine still produces very pleasing images.

The Marketplace here is going to be valuable if you pursue that range.

I know someone using a 4/3 system to to amazing macro work. He lost about half his fingers (mostly half of fingers) from frostbite decades ago and can manipulate the small camera system but not a full DSLR. It's a little disturbing to watch him work, but he's one of the most enthusiastic guys I know. I've thought about getting a 4/3 system but bought some Q gear a while ago instead. I should use it more.

---------- Post added 01-17-20 at 07:34 AM ----------

FYI, I have a K5 and a K3II
The K3II outperforms the K5 in all respects, but the K5 images have a more pleasing quality side by side. Focus accuracy in the K3 alone, plus the better screw drive would lead me to take that deal. The condition shouldn't worry you, both cameras are built like tanks and the resellers like Adorama are pretty conservative with ratings.