Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2019, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello from Buffalo, NY

I'm Robin from Buffalo.

In 2000 I bought my first digital camera, a Polaroid Digital 320. My husband and I bought it on a lark at the Toronto airport for my birthday present. It cost C $80 as I recall. We were flying out to Calgary with two kids for a two week vacation. The kids each had some some kind of Vivitar 36 mm point and shoot film cameras while the adults' serious camera was my husband's Olympus XA 35mm film camera, which he had bought way back in 1982. The Polaroid 320 was really nothing more than a toy camera---it's resolution is 320x240 or 76K pixels. But it was still a lot of fun to download the pics onto my husband's PC each night and fiddle with the camera's software to "improve" those very primitive pictures while we were accumulating lots of rolls of film to develop once we got back home.

In 2001 I bought my first real digital camera was an an Olympus Camedia C-3000 Zoom. It was bought to replace the Olympus XA which developed some serious problems during and after that trip to Alberta and was no longer taking the high quality pictures we were used to getting out of it. At the time I wanted four things:
  1. A viewfinder rather than just an LCD screen on the back. I didn't particularly want or need the viewfinder to be a through the lens one, however. Just something similar to the Olympus XA's was fine.
  2. An aperture priority mode since that was what we were used to with the XA: You set the aperture manually, focused the camera manually, and it figured out the exposure.
  3. Auto focus. I was not as good as my husband was at manually focusing the XA.
  4. Enough pixels to make decent quality 4x6 inch prints of good pictures.
I paid a lot more for the Camedia than I meant to, all because I really wanted a way to control the aperture. I really enjoyed that camera and got some really nice pictures (as well as some really awful ones) out of it. However, the shutter lag was horrible.

I bought my first DSLR, a Pentax 100D, way back in July 2007. I was replacing Camedia because it was time to let my daughter take it off to Turkey on an AFS-exchange year when she was a high school senior. When I was camera shopping I didn't intend to get a DSLR and I didn't intend to get a Pentax. But---every single "advanced point and shoot" that had similar features as the Camedia also had no viewfinder---they'd all gone with just Live View on the back LCD, and while my Camedia had that feature, I seldom used it because I just couldn't hold the camera still enough at a comfortable distance for viewing the screen. (Middle-aged eyes don't help that problem.) And so I was "forced" to start looking at entry level DSLRs. The Pentax 100D won based on price and its shake reduction.

I've recently bought a used K-3 to (slightly) update my camera. I looked at the current K-70, which would have been in my budget and "current generation" but I noticed that it does not have the top LCD. And I rely on my K100D's top LCD to remind me of the camera's settings, which I have a bad tendency to forget. So a used K-3 wound up being what I bought, even though it's really more camera than I need.

As for what I tend to photograph: I'm very much an amateur. I enjoy taking pictures of scenery (landscapes) when we're traveling and I also take a fair number of pictures of flowers and other plants. I take family snapshots, but I'm not really into trying to get portraits---my kids just would never sit still long enough and cooperate to get a portrait. Because we're close to Niagara Falls, I've taken lots and lots of pictures of them in all kinds of weather. Over the years, I've managed to take some really great photos that have wowed family and friends, but its still hit or miss a lot of the time, which doesn't really bother me at all.

Well that's far longer than it needed to be. So thanks for being patient with me.

12-17-2019, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from the UK, Robin!
12-17-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

lots of friendly folks and knowledge can be found here

looking forward to whatever contributions you decide to make to the forums

[ BTW there is nothing wrong with the K 3, it is a very good camera ]
12-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from Syracuse

12-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome from Rochester. Next spring I want to get up your way to photograph Eternal Flame Falls in Chestnut Ridge Park. Plenty of scenery in western and central New York.
12-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #6
Lab

Welcome from Ontario
12-17-2019, 11:23 AM - 3 Likes   #7

Original Poster
I meant to add one of my favorite photos of Niagara Falls. I took it back in Feb. 2015 when we had some super cold weather that lasted long enough for the falls to "freeze" over. It made the national news. Hubby and I went up a few days later after the falls started to thaw out a bit. This is my favorite shot from that day.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
12-17-2019, 11:36 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome from South Africa, Robin. And a very nice first image posted too!
Best.
12-17-2019, 11:48 AM   #9
Closed Account

Hi Robin, welcome from Australia.
12-17-2019, 12:41 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hello! Thank you for a kind introduction
Greetings from Poland!
12-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!
12-17-2019, 01:54 PM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, enjoy all that it has to offer.
12-17-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi, Robin. Another welcome from Australia. That K-3 is more than a "slight" update, but if the bug bites hard (and it will if you hang around here) it will never be enough! Have fun with it.

Last edited by PJ1; 12-17-2019 at 02:10 PM. Reason: error
12-17-2019, 02:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from the Hudson Valley, NY! I need to get there on a nice cold day, Niagara Falls, and get some nice ice!
12-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Welcome and that 's certainly a very original shoot of Niagra Falls. Well done!