Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2019, 02:03 AM - 5 Likes   #1

New member trying out HD Pentax-DA* 11-18 on K1

I've been a Pentax user for more than 35 years, starting with a K1000 (which I still have), moving on to a K7, K5 and now a K3 and K1. I've recently purchased a HD Pentax-DA* 11-18 for use on my K3 and in FF mode from 15mm on my K1. I had considered the 15-30 but not being able to use 100mm filters was a no no for me. With a NiSi filter holder attached I'm able to shoot in FF mode on my K1 with minimal vignetting easily sorted out in post processing. Here's a couple of examples shot at 18mm in FF mode. More examples at HD Pentax-DA* 11-18mm F2.8 | Flickr

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-27-2019, 04:13 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here with us all.
12-27-2019, 05:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You have some really nice shots there... Welcome!
12-27-2019, 06:43 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum! Really fine introduction photos!

12-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to have you here. Keep posting shots like those please. I'd be interested in seeing the shots without correction also.
12-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Glad to have you here. Keep posting shots like those please. I'd be interested in seeing the shots without correction also.
Thank you, here's the original shots before post processing, both taken at 18mm FF mode on a K1. I'm really pleased with how well the HD Pentax-DA* 11-18 works in FF mode on the K1. With a NiSi filter holder attached you need to shoot at 18mm to minimize vignetting.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 07:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here with us all.
Thank you, I've followed and read the Forum for many years but only now got round to joining! Is there a particular image size and format required for posting images?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
12-27-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome!

12-27-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome from Greece! Great images. I love the color rendering...
12-27-2019, 08:42 AM   #9
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now you’ve done it, the 11-18 will have to be added to my next lens list. Just wish Pentax would add a 16x9 crop option to the K-1 to make it easier use the uw apsc lenses.
12-27-2019, 09:04 AM   #10

Welcome!

Thanks for leading with such nice photos. You started with great source material and did a great job with the adjustments.
12-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Payne Quote
Thank you, here's the original shots before post processing, both taken at 18mm FF mode on a K1. I'm really pleased with how well the HD Pentax-DA* 11-18 works in FF mode on the K1. With a NiSi filter holder attached you need to shoot at 18mm to minimize vignetting.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 07:33 AM ----------

Thank you, I've followed and read the Forum for many years but only now got round to joining! Is there a particular image size and format required for posting images?
The forum will automatically resize images to the limit. There is also a pretty limited amount of storage unless you have an upgraded membership.

Many here use Flickr and or other image hosting and paste the "bbcode" link into the post.

Here's an example:

Generated from my Motorola o using tools.sportscard.trade

Since I'm on my mobile I can't access the bbcode link created by Flickr and I use a website to generate it from a standard url.

By posting bbcode the picture shows up inline as if uploaded to the forum.

If you quote my post you can see the inline code the forum sees. Once you post a reply that code will be removed or suppressed in the reply.
12-27-2019, 09:50 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
Now you’ve done it, the 11-18 will have to be added to my next lens list. Just wish Pentax would add a 16x9 crop option to the K-1 to make it easier use the uw apsc lenses.
I thought long and hard about getting a15-30 but investing in a whole new set of 150 mm filters just didn’t me sense to me and I got fed up waiting for Pentax to bring out a FF UWA lens. The 11-18 has solved the dilemma for me. I’ve been pleased with the results using my K1 in FF mode, I now need to put the 11-18 through its’ paces on my K3. As regards cropping, I always shoot in FF mode on my K1 and crop in post production, that way you get the maximum usable image to work with.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The forum will automatically resize images to the limit. There is also a pretty limited amount of storage unless you have an upgraded membership.

Many here use Flickr and or other image hosting and paste the "bbcode" link into the post.

Here's an example:

Generated from my Motorola o using tools.sportscard.trade

Since I'm on my mobile I can't access the bbcode link created by Flickr and I use a website to generate it from a standard url.

By posting bbcode the picture shows up inline as if uploaded to the forum.

If you quote my post you can see the inline code the forum sees. Once you post a reply that code will be removed or suppressed in the reply.
Thank you I’ll look into that.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redmenace Quote
Welcome!

Thanks for leading with such nice photos. You started with great source material and did a great job with the adjustments.
Thank you, I’m hoping to get a lot of use out of the 11-18 as I mainly shoot landscape and architecture. I do most of my post processing in Lightroom, only going into Photoshop when I’ve reached the limitations of Lightroom. I make extensive use of filters, mainly NiSi, to try and get the best possible image ‘in camera’.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 09:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Welcome to the forum! Really fine introduction photos!
Thank you, I’m looking forward to engaging in discussions with fellow users of Pentax equipment.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 09:59 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by redpit Quote
Welcome from Greece! Great images. I love the color rendering...
Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 10:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WillWeaverRVA Quote
Welcome!
Thank you.
12-27-2019, 10:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

welcome to the forum and greetings from Italy
12-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil Payne Quote
I make extensive use of filters, mainly NiSi, to try and get the best possible image ‘in camera’.
Hi Phil, welcome to the forum!

I just started to use the Haida M10 filter system (100mm), also using K-1 in FF mode with DA*11-18 attached. First results show that I can use this filter holder at 18mm and 17mm without dark corners - config with light barrier drop-in (a special M10 solution), ND10 and GND 0.9 filter. Maybe this is interesting to you.
12-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
welcome to the forum and greetings from Italy
Thank you.

---------- Post added 12-27-19 at 10:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Hi Phil, welcome to the forum!

I just started to use the Haida M10 filter system (100mm), also using K-1 in FF mode with DA*11-18 attached. First results show that I can use this filter holder at 18mm and 17mm without dark corners - config with light barrier drop-in (a special M10 solution), ND10 and GND 0.9 filter. Maybe this is interesting to you.
Thank you, the NiSi 100mm holder shows a little vignetting at 18mm but easily dealt with. I had to attach a 82mm ring (an old UV filter which I knocked the glass out of) in order to attach the NiSi filter holder to the 11-18 lens as there is a 'notch' on the lens preventing the direct attachment of the NiSi filter. The same goes for attaching a Lee filter with an UWA ring. I'll look into the Haida M10 filter system.