Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2020, 05:12 PM   #1

New guy, old ISTd

Howdy, Hutch from central Upstate NY (for now) Pentax ISTd and several lens and starting the search to update my camera gear. Wife bought it for me when I retired from the Army in 2004, so I'm guessing it's time?

o. She (the camera) is hunting more when focusing and doesn't always wake up after a break in shooting without turning it off and back on.
o. Needs to be cleaned, has some dust in the view finder, been well cared for, used but never abused or wet.
o. I have several lenses;
SM Pentax-DA 1:4(22) 16-45mm ED-AL
SIGMA 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 APO DG
SIGMA 170-500mm 1;5-6.3 APO
o. Pentax AF-500FTZ flash
o. I Just read up on the K70 (potential replacement if I can use my current lenses) and my questions are;
o. Will the lenses work correctly with the K70?
o. If the lenses will work, are they worth paying to have them cleaned? A few pieces of dust that show up on the pictures and I know it's there. Never had an issue with them.
o. Will the flash sync properly with the newer body?
o. Do I bite the bullet and start over with all new gear? I was told it wasn't cost effective for the camera, but what about the lenses?
o. I'm retired, on a budget and saving pennies for a trip for my wife's retirement trip, fishing, sight seeing and disconnecting from life in a truck camper in the boonies.
o. I want something more than entry level but I'm not making posters and movies.
o. Thanks for letting me in and for sound advice.

01-09-2020, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome

lots of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

first, since you live in the US you might choose to rent equipment for a try out before buying

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

second check out the marketplace ( buy/sell ) if you are interested in buying used equipment from members

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

a lot of info can be found under " cameras " and " lenses " above

as far as compatibility check here:

QuoteQuote:
Check Lens Compatibility with your Pentax Camera
Most Pentax lenses are compatible with most Pentax cameras. However, there are some exceptions to this rule, including limitations with certain lenses. It's always a good idea to check before buying a lens.

This tool lets you check the compatibility of your Pentax digital camera with any Pentax lens or any current third-party lens. Type a partial name to see suggestions. See also: Lens Search | Camera Database

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/compatibility/#ixzz6AaBIwowJ
01-09-2020, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lenses will work fine with the K-70.

Dust isn't generally an issue unless it is on the sensor.

And welcome from CNY.
01-09-2020, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

Hi Hutch, welcome from Australia. As already mentioned, your lenses and flash will work very well on the K-70.
Looking forward to seeing some of your images.

01-09-2020, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!
01-09-2020, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi from Australia and welcome to the Forums.

QuoteOriginally posted by Harleyhutch Quote
She (the camera) is hunting more when focusing and doesn't always wake up after a break in shooting without turning it off and back on.
It sounds a bit like me. The years get to us all.
01-09-2020, 07:57 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums from another New York Stater (Hudson Valley). The lenses will work fine on the K70. The Sigma DG will even work well with the K-1. I think the 170-500 Sigma is also a DG, so the choice is yours. The Pentax DA will work with either, but with the K-1, it is best to use the camera's crop mode (using the central part of the sensor). The flash should be fine for both also.

If the lenses are reasonably clean, pick one every few months or a year to get cleaned, if you even need to. The K70 is a good camera, gives good image quality and has some nice features. You may have an itch to start over, but as you already have an investment in lenses and flash, and you want to keep within a tight budget, just getting a nice new body would be the most cost effective way to go I think.

In any case, once you start shooting more, show us some images. Rochester has some nice places to shoot, from Niagara in the west, to Letchworth in the south, even in the apple orchards along Lake Ontario and up near Sodus Point- Chimney Bluffs is dynamic!

01-10-2020, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, there’s plenty of great information here on the forum to help with your next purchase.
01-10-2020, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Harleyhutch Quote
Pentax AF-500FTZ flash
You can check out the flash in the forum, just highlight pentax af-500ftz in your original post, right click and search.
The sync you require may not be possible with a body that uses pttl but it will work manually.
01-10-2020, 05:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Hello Hutch, welcome to the forum!
01-10-2020, 05:14 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Welcome

lots of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

first, since you live in the US you might choose to rent equipment for a try out before buying

Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

second check out the marketplace ( buy/sell ) if you are interested in buying used equipment from members

it can be sorted by country

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (United States) - PentaxForums.com

a lot of info can be found under " cameras " and " lenses " above

as far as compatibility check here:

Read more at: Check Lens Compatibility with Your Pentax Camera
Thanks, just came from the compatibility chart

---------- Post added 01-10-20 at 05:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Welcome to the forums from another New York Stater (Hudson Valley). The lenses will work fine on the K70. The Sigma DG will even work well with the K-1. I think the 170-500 Sigma is also a DG, so the choice is yours. The Pentax DA will work with either, but with the K-1, it is best to use the camera's crop mode (using the central part of the sensor). The flash should be fine for both also.

If the lenses are reasonably clean, pick one every few months or a year to get cleaned, if you even need to. The K70 is a good camera, gives good image quality and has some nice features. You may have an itch to start over, but as you already have an investment in lenses and flash, and you want to keep within a tight budget, just getting a nice new body would be the most cost effective way to go I think.

In any case, once you start shooting more, show us some images. Rochester has some nice places to shoot, from Niagara in the west, to Letchworth in the south, even in the apple orchards along Lake Ontario and up near Sodus Point- Chimney Bluffs is dynamic!
You are correct, Lots of nice places to shoot around here, spend quite a bit of time riding motorcycling and paddling, mostly in the Adirondacks, and a car show here and there. When shooting landscapes I use primarily the 2 smaller lenses and the monster as I call it just out on the open but need to make the time to go to the refuge and play with it some more. Having been across the prairies of Canada and through the Rockies to Alaska and back, I'll need to be careful of not bogging myself down as there are endless opportunities to shoot up there. The stark contrast between the the landscape on the prairie to the mountains makes you awestruck, both beautiful in there own rights, now composing them for effect is the challenging part, all beautiful but getting the balance for the shot that makes you say wow makes you go back for more. Of all the pics I shot while up through there on motorcycle, 14,000 miles in 27 days I have 8-10 that I truly like above the rest. Others say there all beautiful, but most haven't been there and to see it, and seeing it is one thing, to photograph it is another, and to me I think it is harder to capture on film than it is for a good painter to replicate the scene well, others will disagree. I have a beautiful view down towards the Catskills from my back porch 45-60 miles on a good clear day, but try to get it on film with detail the way I would like is a different story. What body would you recommend? I don't shoot sports or weddings, gave that up when I gave up my manual film Cannons and gear years ago, that was work, I'm in it for fun now, in fact I travel alone or with my wife as I'm in my own world when I see something to shoot, she has patients and grabs a book.
01-10-2020, 07:48 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Upgrade time is always fun, I'm sure you'll find all the info you need here.