Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ken from Colorado

Hi. Started shooting with Pentax when an old girlfriends brother decided he would give me his K1000 and a 50 mm lens. He was about to upgrade, noticed I was interested in his camera by me asking a lot of questions, and thought I might want to get started shooting pictures. I was in heaven, and I've been stuck on Pentax ever since.

I was disappointed when Pentax was late to the digital party as I never did invest in the darkroom previously. I was confused and concerned when Pentax was purchased by Ricoh. Since then, however, after Pentax' initial ist* offerings (yeah, I bought one) I have spent treasure and time with what seems to be each new generation. Loved the K-5, loved the K-10 and have them both. But the K-3; and the K-3II came along and I am nearly convinced that there is a bit of K-1000 reincarnated in each of them. Side note: I'm waiting for my K-3 to return from it's repair excursion ---- FRIDAY!!! WOOHOO!

I'm retired now and can shoot everyday. I love to shoot anything, but my favorite stuff is landscapes, my dogs, macros, flowers, flower macros, people walkin' their dogs, the moon, the stars (sill workin' that one out) ...I just love it! get in my way and you might end up in my camera.

About a year ago I took a course through Shaw Academy online and feel that I was able to kick things up a notch, and really understand the integrated underlying 'IT and mechanical design' behind digital photography that I had been struggling with. YEAH BABY!

I shoot everyday, and I'm lucky enough to live near a high mesa off-leash dog park that rises 1000 ft ( too lazy to look up the km equivalent) above the city - Colorado Springs, CO - in every direction. The park is huge and is gorgeous through every season. There are even a few owls and hawks to shoot up there. On a clear day one can see 300 miles to the south and the Spanish Peaks. Everyday, I get to see Pike's Peak and Stargate Command ... uh ... Cheyenne Mountain. Pike's Peak is also out my back kitchen window, and the full moon this past week is right there. And to add to that I recently had a bay window installed that I've managed to set up as a stage. I can decorate the stage and then shoot the models. I have a couple of off-beat Santa dolls that posed for me this last Christmas. What a HOOT! total fun. I hope to have a website constructed soon.

As I'm retired now my time is totally devoted to the photographic endeavors. Having a fixed income, however, leaves me concerned about how I might do my next upgrade, there's always another lens out there, and Pentax has more than a few lenses I would like to have.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the offerings throughout the forum - both advice, and the photos.

Thanks. I hope to share something soon

01-13-2020, 11:15 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Great introduction Ken, thanks. Welcome from Australia.
01-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland, enjoy your time here with us all.
01-14-2020, 01:18 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Colorado Springs is a lovely City rich in photo subjects.

01-14-2020, 01:49 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Ken. Another welcome to the Forums from Australia. That was a great introduction. But I am curious. Which did you keep longest: the K1000 or the girlfriend?
01-14-2020, 04:30 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

welcome to the forums

lots of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

looking forward to whatever contributions you choose to make
01-14-2020, 05:06 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums.

01-14-2020, 06:50 AM   #8

Welcome, Ken! You've found a great forum here.
01-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, from you neighboring state to the South. Sound like you've found a good spot in photography, looking forward to seeing some photos!
01-14-2020, 08:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Ken, welcome from the south of England.