Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2020, 06:06 PM   #1

vivitar lenses compatibility

Hi. I am currently uses vivitar lenses on a pentax me super camera. I would like to buy a pentax k-70 camera. I would like to know if my old lenses will work on a k-70. Can anyone help me?

01-17-2020, 06:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums!

Any K mount lens will work on the K-70 DSLR. You will need to go into the camera's menu to allow use of the aperture ring, and learn how to use stop-down metering with the Green Button.

You also should be mindful that the K-70 has a crop sensor, so the angle of view for each of your lenses will be a little tighter than on your full frame film camera.
01-17-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

if they are K-mount (and not M42), they should work just fine - with one caveat: some older Vivitar lenses have a large aperture lever guard that may need to be either removed or cut down to allow proper fit...
01-17-2020, 06:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Do the lenses have the long "Vivitar" aperture flange? If the flange is longer than the distance the aperture lever travels it can cause the lens to not mount because it hits the power contacts inside the mount. You should also check the lenses for the "Ricoh pin". Other than that they are compatible for the most part. If they have the A contact fully compatible, otherwise they have to use stop down metering.

And welcome to the forums.

01-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, a lot of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

for any reader of this thread not familiar with the problem with the " ricoh pin "

here is an explanation of the problem given in another thread -

QuoteQuote:
Originally posted by stevebrot
Glad you found your solution. Even more glad that you did not experience "Ricoh Pin Lock" on your camera.

For the benefit of the casual browser, here is the executive summary of the "Ricoh Pin" issue:
The infamous "pin" is found on lenses made to fit the Ricoh programmed exposure cameras
These lenses have a "P" on the aperture ring and include Ricoh's Rikenon-P series as well as third party lenses where the mount is marked with "K-R", "PK/R", or something similar
The pin is located such that it will drop into the AF drive gear on your Pentax dSLR when attempt is made to mount
Once engaged with the gear slot the lens will be extremely difficult to remove

The links posted above show the pin in all its glory.

A few additional notes:[LIST][*]The "spring-loaded ball" variant of the pin is less problematic[*]Rikenon lenses other than the "P" series (Rikenon, XR Rikenon) are not
Read more at: manual lenses on digital camera body? - PentaxForums.com

you can find information on various Vivitar lenses here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-lenses-for-pentax-i84.html
01-17-2020, 08:17 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
01-18-2020, 01:38 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, enjoy your time here with us all.

01-19-2020, 10:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

G'day from Australia. Welcome to the forums.
01-20-2020, 08:45 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
Vivitar 70-210 3,5 end 400 working whit Pentax K-70 . I will give you an example for reassurance. The Vivitar 400 6,3 M42- I like -
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
01-20-2020, 12:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
lense compatibility, part 2

Thanks to everyone for getting back to me. The information I received from non-pentax sources said my old k-mount lenses will not work at all or they will only work in manual mode not in auto mode. What are your thoughts?
01-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rksend Quote
Thanks to everyone for getting back to me. The information I received from non-pentax sources said my old k-mount lenses will not work at all or they will only work in manual mode not in auto mode. What are your thoughts?
If it is an A lens it will work in all modes. Lenses that don't have the A contacts will work in manual mode with stop down metering, or in Av mode at maximum aperture.

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

Vivitar lenses may or may not have the A contacts, if there is an A setting on the aperture ring no problem...If it says A(R) beware of the Ricoh pin...and of course look for the long aperture guard.
01-20-2020, 02:41 PM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rksend Quote
you might want to take a look at these articles

QuoteQuote:
Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax
That old glass is amazing!
By K David in Articles and Tips on Jul 19, 2015

Read more at: Manual Focus Lens Choices for Pentax - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
How to Use Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs
Virtually all K-mount and M42 lenses are compatible!
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Apr 29, 2013
Read more at: How to Use Manual Lenses on Pentax DSLRs - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Green Button Guide
A look at one of Pentax's secrets
By johnhilvert in Articles and Tips on Aug 15, 2016

Note how the green button carries no label

John Hilvert delves into the charms of the misunderstood "green button" on Pentax cameras.

It may not change your life. Yet with just one press it can reset your camera's exposure back to defaults, offer you a dandy spot meter for non-automatic lenses, support you when using manual mode, speed up settings adjustments in the menu, and a lot more!

Read more at: Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

perhaps they might help
01-21-2020, 02:28 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
Of course M mode or Tv but get one
good brightness with which you make your own
the picture.Autofocus is just motion tracking is missing.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo