Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2020, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #1
DWW

Hi folks...

...hope everyone is fine and well.
I'm feeling a bit of a fraud at the moment, as I don't actually have a Pentax in my possession...yet: I've bought a silver Q10 with 02 and 06 lenses via Ebay from a vendor in Japan. Just waiting for the despatch confirmation and can't wait to start having fun with the diminutive Pentax when it lands here.
I'm a hardcore Canon owner, with 5D MkIII and 7D MkII bodies plus battery grips. Canon lenses are EF17-40mm f4L, EF100mm f2.8L MkII macro and EF300mm f2.8L MkII, with the dedicated 1.4 and 2x converters, plus sundry other kit.
My first soirée into other makes was a couple of Sigma cameras - the DP2 Merrill and DP3 Merrill, with their Foveon sensors. Then an interest in street photography led to a Ricoh GRII joining the stable before a couple of intriguing You Tube videos opened my eyes to the Pentax Q family. I was hooked and the temptation to trawl Ebay was too much, after all, as Oscar Wilde quipped, the only way to cure a temptation is to yield to it...
I'm waiting on a double hip replacement to get properly mobile again and once the surgery is sorted and my Terminator combat chassis is installed the Pentax and Ricoh will be my pocket gear to start using the wonderful advice in George Johnson's superb book. 'Photographing London' to stretch my street shooter legs.
My second pay packet on starting work when I was 18 was exchanged in part for a Practica TL2 and was the means by which I taught myself manual control and the the significance of aperture and shutter speeds. This gave way to a Canon A1 and decades of sole devotion to the marque.
Now, as a retired guy, I'm broadening my equipment and having huge fun into the bargain. My main interest is natural history photography but other genres are taking hold and it's great to have new stuff to learn and explore.
If you're still awake...well done! Much looking forward to touring the forums more thoroughly.

TTFN

Steve :-)

02-09-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great introduction, Steve. Welcome to both the forums and Pentax

Congratulations on your incoming Q10 camera, 02 and 06 lenses. I believe you're going to have a lot of fun with them, and I trust you'll be pleasantly surprised by the capabilities. The Q cameras are dear to many of us here, me included, and the perfect kit for when you want or need to travel light yet still have the ability to do some proper photography.

Good luck with the double hip replacement... That's a big one, but in time it'll be worth the inconvenience, I'm sure. On days when you're stuck indoors, or if you're tired out after a bit of Q10 street-shooting and fancy a chat, there's almost always folks here on the forums

Looking forward to your involvement

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-12-2020 at 10:03 AM.
02-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums!
02-09-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Steve, welcome from Australia.

02-09-2020, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
DWW

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Great introduction, Steve. Welcoming to both the forums and Pentax

Congratulations on your incoming Q10 camera, 02 and 06 lenses. I believe you're going to have a lot of fun with them, and I trust you'll be pleasantly surprised by the capabilities. The Q cameras are dear to many of us here, me included, and the perfect kit for when you want or need to travel light yet still have the ability to do some proper photography.

Good luck with the double hip replacement... That's a big one, but in time it'll be worth the inconvenience, I'm sure. On days when you're stuck indoors, or if you're tired out after a bit of Q10 street-shooting and fancy a chat, there's almost always folks here on the forums

Looking forward to your involvement
Thanks for that Mike - much appreciated.
I think Blunty on You Tube had quite a good take on the Pentax Q, saying (if I recall accurately) that it wasn't a camera for serious photographers but a camera for those who take photography seriously. Both he and Mattias Burling emphasise how much fun they have with theirs. I know it's not going to resolve like my Ricoh GRII or any of my other cameras come to that but resolution isn't the reason I'm getting one - I'm going to just jump on the fun wagon and enjoy it to the full, exactly as Blunty and Mattias do.

TTFN

Steve
02-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #6
DWW

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
Welcome to Pentax Forums!
Cheers Mike!
02-09-2020, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
DWW

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Steve, welcome from Australia.
Thanks PJV!
02-12-2020, 05:02 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highland of Scotland, hope all goes well for you with your new hips.

02-12-2020, 05:33 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome

lots of friendly members and knowledge can be found here

looking forward to any contributions you choose to make
02-12-2020, 09:48 AM   #10

Welcome from UK