Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2020, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Hi everybody, from a Numpty in the UK.

Hello, just signingin as a recent member to this site (great site by the way) I’vebeen lurking awhile. I have resurrected my old hobby afterapproximately 40 years! I had a strange aversion to digitalphotography as it destroyed my passion for developing etc. Anyway…….

Now a proud owner ofa Pentax KP silver.

Been a Pentax usersince the late 70’s/ early 80’s can’t remember the exact year Ipurchased a ME Super with a f1.7 50mm lens, later purchased a 2.8 x28mm wide angle, my first foray into photography.
I snapped a bargainnew K1000 body for £45 in Comet, around ‘79-84, closing down sale,that I do remember, never used it much as planned for a backup body,to this day is as new.
I did developing (Black & white/colour/slides) in a self built dark room to anamateur level too, but then moved down to Plymouth UK and theinterest waned due to job etc.

Been on a photo‘shoot’ as they say this morning with the KP and came back to seeall 39 shots in a overly blue colour (across 3 different lenses allwith skylight filters). This was unexpected as all was ok before, Ihave found the cause ( I’m pretty sure ) to be my rotation of thesetting dial, I had mistakenly thought was set (by me) tosensitivity, what a numpty !! but as adjusted in M mode it changed the image settingsto whatever. All part of the learning curve, now made sure settingsare saved in M, too.

I have found bestresults on my old M lenses are to use F8 minimum and the best evenhigher – f11 f22. To use M’ manual, green button (to meter andlet the camera set shutter speed) and done.

BTW, the K1000 worksfine after being stored for 25 years, (tested first time thisJanuary) new light seals and clean up, the lenses had some fungusbut I managed to clean up (after meticulous web research), they dohave a soft finish to both prints and Digital ( in digital the outeredges clarity goes on low f stops) but with with high f stops it’sgood, I think it’s characterful.

I did pick up aPraktica BX-20 and 2 lenses for £20 way back as the camera had afault, minor solder repair, but it didn’t survive the 25 years –rusty deposits on the viewscreen, the lenses are ok though (stillhave these but of no use?) . I had a Tamron 70-210 zoom but this hadthe worst fungus and was binned too.

In Plymouth UK thisyear is the 400th anniversary year of the Pilgrims voyageto the USA, exhibitions, shows, visiting cruise ships, the Mayflowerwooden square rigged ship etc. so there are many a photo opportunity,can’t wait as the Barbican is already my favourite photo shoot.

Enough for now,

Cheers

p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 115% }

02-12-2020, 12:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum!
02-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Great intro and the best new username I've seen in ages. It's always good to see another Pentaxian popping up in this neck of the woods.

Welcome aboard.
02-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome from Hampshire! I don’t think that ‘numpty’ is used anywhere else than the UK, but not such a numpty if you managed to score a silver KP - good job! Was that at the silly price that UK Amazon did a few weeks ago?

02-12-2020, 01:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
02-12-2020, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum from Lancashire.

A friend of mine had a BX20 (or maybe a BCA?). I looked at them for my first SLR but decided on a Miranda MS2 Super (ME Super clone) because my Dad said a K mount would be better (and so it proved).
02-12-2020, 02:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Was a long time Prakica user (M42 and then bayonet - still a BX10 and BX20 in the cupboard!), then migrated to Pentax K, and now KA mount - thus Welcome!

02-12-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
Closed Account

Hi from Australia.
02-13-2020, 08:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. I still have to watch the dials when I set my camera to TAv mode. I have blown several shots doing this. It we aren't making mistakes, we aren't learning. Plus thank you for teaching me a new word.
02-14-2020, 07:17 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland