Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2020, 11:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Paul, you're correct about the WR and pentamirror. I think I'd still take the K100D over the ist's but it's definitely six of one vs. 1/2 a dozen of the other.
The SR is definitely nice to have, and I thought the OOC jpegs from the K100D were nicer. I also used the Pentax viewfinder magnifier, which was a help when using manual lenses.

02-16-2020, 04:32 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As inexpensive as these cameras are at this point, I think I would go looking for a magnifier, and a split-prism focusing screen as well. I know that they can introduce problems of their own but for fine focusing assistance, I think they're worth having, based on my time with manual focus film bodies.
02-16-2020, 10:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
K100D super has the advantage of sdm support and that sensor. It also runs on AA batteries.
It also has an embarrassingly-loud mirror. I mean that sincerely.
02-17-2020, 01:45 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It can be fun to get such feedback with every shot.

02-17-2020, 06:08 AM - 1 Like   #20
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
It can be fun to get such feedback with every shot.
I know loud mirrors and shutters aren't ideal for some applications, but I find the sounds quite reassuring
02-17-2020, 09:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I know loud mirrors and shutters aren't ideal for some applications, but I find the sounds quite reassuring
Actually, my first reaction when I switched from the K10D to the K3-II was: "Damn, it's so unresponsive". I really missed the sound and vibrations, altough I am perfectly aware that the vibrations are bluring the picture and the sound may interrupt a lot of situations. I eventually got used to it and started to prefer the benefits.

On the other hand I talked to a model that told me how strange it is for her to shoot with someone using silent (electronical) shutters. Not knowing when a photo is taken may be very odd if you do a "straight in the face" portrait.
02-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WorksAsIntended Quote
Actually, my first reaction when I switched from the K10D to the K3-II was: "Damn, it's so unresponsive". I really missed the sound and vibrations, altough I am perfectly aware that the vibrations are bluring the picture and the sound may interrupt a lot of situations. I eventually got used to it and started to prefer the benefits.
Actually, the K10D and K20D have virtually no mirror slap or sensor shake. Of the later models, the K-3 seems to be the next best in regards to that. When I get my K-3 I'll let you know
So noise does not really affect the images. The K-7 had a very silent shutter and from what I read might be the worst in regards to pictures being blurred at certain shutter speeds.

I personally prefer the 10MP CCD models but the 6MP models can certainly take beautiful pictures and their color rendering is very unique. The Pentax models also offer the advantage that most of these cameras are still working, unlike the Konica-Minolta 6MP cameras, which are said to be very fragile and a lot of them have broken by now.
02-18-2020, 03:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Actually, the K10D and K20D have virtually no mirror slap or sensor shake. Of the later models, the K-3 seems to be the next best in regards to that. When I get my K-3 I'll let you know
So noise does not really affect the images. The K-7 had a very silent shutter and from what I read might be the worst in regards to pictures being blurred at certain shutter speeds.

I personally prefer the 10MP CCD models but the 6MP models can certainly take beautiful pictures and their color rendering is very unique. The Pentax models also offer the advantage that most of these cameras are still working, unlike the Konica-Minolta 6MP cameras, which are said to be very fragile and a lot of them have broken by now.
From the k10d and k3-ii I own(ed), the k10d definitally had more mirror slap. Maybe it was different when new. When i replaced the k10D it had over 100k shots taken, that may be part of the reason.

02-18-2020, 06:38 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k100D (& super) like to announce their presence - they oppose stealth!