Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2020, 03:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Saying hello... again

Hi

I joined the forum in 2008 and made 7 posts between then and 2010 but nothing since, hardly prolific!!!

Lack of motivation, other hobbies and life sadly got in the way. I'm now retired and hopefully moving to Anglesey (small island off Wales if you have never heard of it) this year. The island is a beautiful place with stunning locations and suited to lots of hobbies. I visit regularly see individuals and groups out with their camera equipment and there are Facebook groups where people exhibit their recent photos of the island... all very inspiring and at heart I've never wanted to be without a reasonable camera.

My intention is to join a camera club when I get to Anglesey and ramp up my motivation:-)

In preparation for the move we've been going through the house and thinning down a little. I'm now on to my camera stuff and wondering how much is still relevant (most I think) but wonder if I would be better served by updating.

My camera will definitely be updated but to what Pentax model I'm not completely sure and am interested in your comments.

My lenses are a mixed bunch, see below:

Camera
Samsung GX10

Lenses
Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-55mm AL
Pentax-DA 1:4-5.6 50-200mm ED
Sigma 10-20 1:4-5.6 DC
SMC Pentax-A 1:2.8 28mm
SMC Pentax-A 1:1.7 50mm
Tamron SP 1:2.5 90mm Tele Macro
Tamron SP 70-210mm 1:3.5 CF Macro

Adapters
Tamron SP Teleconverter 2X
Tameron Extension Tube for SP90/2.5 (1:2-1:1)
2 x Adaptall Ad2 mount

The two Tamron lenses are heavy and in particularly the 70-210 isn't suited to tripod use.

I'm wondering about consolidating my lenses a little but suspect they maybe of insufficient value to warrant getting rid of them.

As said earlier I'll definitely update the camera body, thoughts are K50 or K70 but have read about aperture issues on the K50.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

02-27-2020, 03:41 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back.

It sounds as though you are going to have some great photo opportunities. Certainly the important thing is just to do a lot of shooting -- it's fun and your skill level grows over time as well.
02-27-2020, 03:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
Hang on to the Sigma 10-20. Buy the K-70. The Tamron macro is pretty good too.
Enjoy.
02-27-2020, 04:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the Sigma 10-20 is definitely a keeper. The 70-210mm is almost unusable having said that I keep thinking (but never get around to it) about getting a bean bag to rest it on!

02-27-2020, 04:24 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back from down south ...

Re the equipment: I've not got specific camera/lens suggestions, but I would say that you should think how you want to use your gear having retired and now your in Anglesey. Would birding on the coasts be an interest? Would light gear be better to carry for the years to come? Weather proofed? A travel kit?

You could extract the exif data from shots you like and see what gear was used.

Did retirement come with a lump sum :-) - perhaps then wait for the new APSC flagship.

Take your time and experiment with what you have in your new environment ...
02-27-2020, 04:54 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

as far as getting advice, you might get one or two members ( or more ) willing to suggest how you might spend your money on equipment

I would suggest unless you need to reduce what you are taking with you

don't do a thing except research for now - check out the information under " cameras " , " lenses " and " articles " above

you may find some folks in that camera club you intend on joining with suggestions for what to use there

or who might be interested buying/swapping equipment or who might have equipment to lend you before you make any decisions

as has been stated: what are you planning to photograph

landscape, wildlife, portraits

hand held, monopod or tripod or a combination thereof

what is your budget

select your equipment accordingly

do you want new or are you willing to check out " experienced " gear

don't forget the forum's marketplace " buy/sell " above

you can sort it by country

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...0&loc=UK&all=1

good luck and have fun

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-27-2020 at 08:07 AM.
02-27-2020, 06:30 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.

I'd wait until you get your mojo going again before making any decisions on lenses, as all will become clear in time as to your needs and wants through usage.

02-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back!

I would definitely keep the Tamron 90 and Sigma 10-20. Get the K70, or if funds allow it, the KP. But, having said that, I would keep the GX10. In good light, the GX10 (K10D) are still highly regarded in image quality and colors due to the CCD sensor. There’s a pretty active group here posting pictures regularity.
02-27-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the welcomes and I appreciate the points made so far and broadly go along with my own thinking at present.

As you say Tony I mat as well keep the GX10 as really it will have no monetary value and still does a job.

I think my main photography will be architectural/landscape though I am interested in both macro and street photography. Though I do feel very self conscious and intrusive with regard to street photography when I have tried it!
02-27-2020, 10:55 AM   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rqy99g Quote
. . . I think my main photography will be architectural/landscape though I am interested in both macro and street photography. Though I do feel very self conscious and intrusive with regard to street photography when I have tried it!
for macro

are you interested " in the field " or " studio " macro photography

in the field you might likea longer focal length lens so you are not right on top of your subject

the 100mm F2.8 Macro series is interesting with potentially different pricing:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review
Specifications
The lens covers the full 24x36mm format, not just APS-C. The aperture blades are rounded, delivering a smoother bokeh which is important for a macro lens. However, unlike its predecessor, it has no aperture ring.

Rounded blades

The optical design is the tried-and-proven formula of the previous generation D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro lens, which in turn had inherited the optical design from the well-respected FA 100mm F2.8 and F 100mm F2.8 macro lenses introduced in 1991 and 1987, respectively.
None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades. . . .
Read more at: Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews

the Pentax 100 F2.8 Macros are true macro lenses 1:1

this article and video might be of interest:

QuoteQuote:
The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens
Achieving lift-size magnification
By PF Staff in Tutorial Videos on Apr 4, 2016

Read more at: The Advantages of a Dedicated Macro Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-27-2020 at 11:43 AM.