Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2020, 10:20 AM   #1

Hello, brand new to this. Just received a Pentax K-70

I am hoping the issue I am facing is simply my ignorance. Shipping and receiving anything in Nicaragua is a challenge. At night, while attempting to shoot the stars, my live view screen is filled with what looks like a blizzard of snow. I canít see what the camera is looking at and certainly canít focus. The interference however does not translate to the final picture. Once again, any time I set the camera up to shoot at night the live view screen fills with snow. Is this normal? B&H referred me to Pentax and Pentax will not answer my emails.

03-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does not sound right. You may want to try the "Ask B&H" forum.
03-13-2020, 12:14 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Check if you have set the camera to focus peaking, then switch off focus peaking
03-13-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus peaking and the blown highlight indication (can't recall what it is called) also can interact.

1) If you use LiveView during the day - is it normal?
2) Can you recreate the problem indoors?
3) Can you use a cellphone or something else to capture it happening?

03-13-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. The K70 is a great camera. But your current issue would be frustrating. It does sound like something to do with focus peaking or an interaction with some other camera setting. I am sure there will be someone here who can identify the problem. All modern DSLRs are complicated and I don't think any of us are immune from things like this. When we find the answer it is usually something simple.
03-13-2020, 02:00 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
03-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #7
-
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forums

Which of the camera's modes are you using to photograph the night sky? Also, what is the ISO setting? A very high ISO setting will result in a lot of noise in Live View... and if you're using an automatic or semi-automatic mode for shooting, the camera may be pushing the ISO setting to a very high level.

It would be immensely helpful if you could take a JPEG photo and upload it here - not so much for us to look at the photo itself, but so we can examine the EXIF data contained within the image. This will tell us many of your settings, which might have something to do with what you're experiencing...

03-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

It sounds like noise. My guess is with long exposure the live view has to amp the little light the sensor is getting. Over the long exposure the sensor accumulates enough light for a proper exposure. If liveview waited for that light instead of just amplifying it, the lag would be unacceptable.

Edit. My ks-2 uses f4 for liveview and even with a 10s exposure panning looks instant which means the ssmpling rate is at best 1/30s. Since f4 is used i bet liveview has a specific sample rate also. Probably 1/50 or 1/60 based on what country you are in for video use and flicker control.

Last edited by swanlefitte; 03-13-2020 at 02:32 PM.
03-13-2020, 05:27 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
Check if you have set the camera to focus peaking, then switch off focus peaking
Wow.....I believe that was the problem. I am going out on the balcony now to experiment. Thank you so much....all of you.
03-13-2020, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #10

Original Poster
I shut off focus peaking and the live view screen looks much less noisy.....thank you to all of you. Here in Nicaragua shipping in or out of the country is next to impossible so I was not looking forward to shipping it back for repairs. I had a hunch it was my own inexperience and so it was. Thanks again.
03-13-2020, 07:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad you solved the problem. Welcome to the forum.
03-14-2020, 12:09 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome to the forum, glad your issue has been resolved quickly.
03-15-2020, 06:10 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pjbontheroad Quote
I am hoping the issue I am facing is simply my ignorance. Shipping and receiving anything in Nicaragua is a challenge. At night, while attempting to shoot the stars, my live view screen is filled with what looks like a blizzard of snow. I canít see what the camera is looking at and certainly canít focus. The interference however does not translate to the final picture. Once again, any time I set the camera up to shoot at night the live view screen fills with snow. Is this normal? B&H referred me to Pentax and Pentax will not answer my emails.
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Focus peaking and the blown highlight indication (can't recall what it is called) also can interact.

1) If you use LiveView during the day - is it normal?
2) Can you recreate the problem indoors?
3) Can you use a cellphone or something else to capture it happening?
Just a thought the K-70 has a switch in the menu for "night vision" turns the lcd screen red for astrotracing shots at night, I haven't used it myself but you may want to try.

Also you may be interested in the E-Book available on this forum published by a member who recently passed (Yvon Bourque) Pentax eBook Downloads - Now on PF! (purchase here for instant access) - PentaxForums.com

Cheers, Ola, Welcome to the forum!
03-15-2020, 06:25 AM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome

as you have discovered you will find friendly members and knowledge here

check out what is available under " cameras ", " lenses " and " articles " above

and ask for any type of help you need

the members will do their best for you

and above all

have fun with your equipment