Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2020, 07:15 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Greetings from Colorado!

Hi!

I have been looking for an upgrade to my Canon Rebel SL1 camera which I have owned for about 5 years. Before that, I shot film and had always hoped to turn professional, that is, until I listened too much to the criticisms of others; then my goal and my interest in photography just went away, but there was always a small spark there and I still took some photos. And when I purchased the little Canon SL1 (I am petite and it felt great in my hands), my joy and interest took off and continues to grow. I love it (especially when my photos are pleasing! )

I had been demo'ing many at the local store, but nothing really captured my interest as much as I wanted.

The local camera stores do not stock Pentax that I noticed, but yesterday I stumbled online upon the K series, especially the KP, and the image quality and sharpness, especially in low light, really got my attention. Of course I do not know how much work was needed to make those images stand out (hoping many were out of camera jpegs/raw files).

I would likely need to buy the KP without a demo -- which may be a good thing (LOL!) so I won't dismiss it before I get a chance to make it work for me. That's another reason why I am here: to acquire information from users, get feedback, and later, if I purchase, to share and respond to questions.

Thank you for reading!

I hope you are all enjoying your cameras!

Annie

03-14-2020, 02:00 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Annie, welcome from Australia.
Great introduction too.
03-14-2020, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by amatula Quote
Greetings from Colorado!
Welcome to the forum from the Highlands of Scotland.

until I listened too much to the criticisms of others
A piece of advice to you if I may, from an old Highlander... never let "others" hold you back from your dreams.
03-14-2020, 04:03 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi from the UK, Annie. The KP is a real whizz camera, some good deals to be had online if you can find any. While SOOC JPGs can be very good from any digital Pentax (and there are numerous fans of them here), you’ll get maximum quality and flexibility from raw processing.

03-14-2020, 04:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
. . . .The local camera stores do not stock Pentax that I noticed, but yesterday I stumbled online upon the K series, especially the KP, and the image quality and sharpness, especially in low light, really got my attention. Of course I do not know how much work was needed to make those images stand out (hoping many were out of camera jpegs/raw files).

I would likely need to buy the KP without a demo -- which may be a good thing (LOL!) so I won't dismiss it before I get a chance to make it work for me. That's another reason why I am here: to acquire information from users, get feedback, and later, if I purchase, to share and respond to questions.. . .
welcome

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

perhaps you should consider spending a little money now and do your own testing of equipment by renting ?
QuoteQuote:
Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent
Read more at: Information on Businesses that offer cameras and lenses for rent - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

you might want to rent the KP, a lens or two and the optional battery grip ( so you know whether to get one when you decide to buy a KP )

savings available at LensRental
QuoteQuote:

Keep Some Gold for Yourself!

Get 20% off orders of $250+
or 10% off everything else

Use code STPADDY20

RENT NOW

Valid on orders arriving by 3.20 | One use per customer

Read more at: savings available at LensRental - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by aslyfox; 03-14-2020 at 05:12 AM.
03-14-2020, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to Pentax Forums.
03-14-2020, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to Pentax Forums, Annie. Your shooting and results are uniquely yours, and your own experience you gain from that shooting will enable you to learn your skills and style. Pentax is a very well built, styled, nicely control featured camera, with an excellent user interface. The performance I have had from my Pentax cameras has been excellent, and if you purchase the model of your choice, I doubt you would have any regrets.

Happy shooting!

03-14-2020, 01:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. Plenty of nice, helpful people here.
03-14-2020, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thank you, everyone!

I was just thinking today it's great to find a camera I will enjoy/love, but icing on the cake - and all the better - to have a community of friendly and helpful folks with whom to share!

All the best to you all!
Annie
03-15-2020, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome! Colorado is a big state, which part are you in?
03-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Welcome! Colorado is a big state, which part are you in?
Colorado Springs
03-16-2020, 02:29 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Colorado Springs
Very nice, I have family there. Many great subjects for photos there.
03-16-2020, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Very nice, I have family there. Many great subjects for photos there.
Rob, small world!
And it is a lovely photo destination! I do alot of hiking and it is difficult to have a favorite place. Everywhere seems beautiful!
I hope you have some special places too!
Annie
03-21-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do alot of hiking and it is difficult to have a favorite place. Everywhere seems beautiful!
I hope you have some special places too!
To tell the truth, I moved away a long time ago, and only recently started visiting long enough to explore areas. The nice thing about the Springs is it is a bit closer than Denver is to a lot of great areas like Salida, South Park, the Great Sand Dunes, so when I go to visit family I can take some great day trips.
03-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #15

Original Poster
To tell the truth, I moved away a long time ago, and only recently started visiting long enough to explore areas. The nice thing about the Springs is it is a bit closer than Denver is to a lot of great areas like Salida, South Park, the Great Sand Dunes, so when I go to visit family I can take some great day trips.
Rob, so true! I love the Salida/Buena Vista area. And if you haven't been there, maybe you can check out Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument (with 9+ miles of hiking) on the way to South Park, a beautiful place for photography!
Of course, I could say the same of Shenandoah Valley! It is gorgeous there! And love it when the fogs and mists cover the land....
Happy travels!
Annie