Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello from Sept 2007

In looking for some old pics I had posted, I just found some of my first posts on pentax forums... Had a different name back then, and was coming to a Pentax Dslr from Fuji P&S... My kids were little and I wanted to shoot them more indoors and the P&S sensors were very noisy in low light.

I bought a K100d to use with a couple of old lenses from my film days. And I was intrigued that the Pentax could shoot old MF lenses just fine.
I posted my first set of photos (which I can not see in the post) and the comments were awesome! Such honesty... I am sure I was a bit butthurt since the P&S forums were very supportive groups.

Anyway here are a couple of the early comments.

"Interesting choice of shots - I find most of them kind of dull, but that is probably just me. Closeups of body parts are freaky and generally not too attractive. I do, however, like the bee with his landing gear down. Keep up the good work, don't let my bland response deter you from taking more pictures. If you are happy with them that is all that matters."

"i agree, most come off a bit boring, not that the subject matter or the composition is necessarily bad, it was just hard for your pictures to evoke any sort of emotion in my mind or heart, know what i mean? i like the b&w of the guy, but his hand looks REALLY uncomfortable which makes me REALLY uncomfortable."

I got a chuckle out of them in retrospect. Hope you do too.

gus / Billy Joe / igilligan

Attached Images

Last edited by Billy Joe; 07-02-2020 at 08:43 AM.
04-01-2020, 12:16 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome "back", try not to leave so long, we miss not having you around.
04-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back!
04-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum from Rome Italy.

04-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome back from South Africa!
Best.
04-26-2020, 11:09 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Gus!

Kind regards,
Mark
aotearoa
(New Zealand)
04-27-2020, 02:05 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the friendliest group I know. I'd like to see the actual images that prompted those comments, if possible, please.

Tony
04-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Welcome to the friendliest group I know. I'd like to see the actual images that prompted those comments, if possible, please.

Tony
I wish I could see the pics... but they were attached from some photo hosting site that does not exist now

04-28-2020, 02:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome again.

Shooting is about growth and we all have to start somewhere, but photography is as much about the journey as the destination, in my opinion.
04-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Welcome again.

Shooting is about growth and we all have to start somewhere, but photography is as much about the journey as the destination, in my opinion.
Absolutely Rondec

Seeing these early comments really made me happy... In the fuji P&S forums it was always a slap happy place where almost anything you posted was "great"

There were a couple of regulars who gave me very good criticism and helped me to understand photography better. But the Pentax forum back then was very supportive but also very critical of mediocracy. And this forum was very helpful in tips and tricks.

After all these years, it feels a bit big and bulky now. With so many posts everything just seems to get lost pretty quick.

But that may just be me not understanding how it all works now. It was a small group in 2007

gus
07-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome "back", try not to leave so long, we miss not having you around.
And I missed being here... I fear the PF forums have grown and changed so much that I am confused at best. There was a simple beauty being in the original gang at the beginning of the forum. For a while every change to the forum as it grew seemed to almost be by committee. Lots of input from everyone.

Now I try to post a pic and I have no idea where it went. haha

Thanks for welcome back