Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum. Loks like you have some advice to work with.

04-08-2020, 03:04 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
. . . Most people wouldn't consider AF lenses to be "vintage".
never took a poll or read one

but as I said, " vintage " to me means something with some of the following " features "

1 something no longer produced and/or

2 doesn't have the latest " features " and/or

3 designed for older systems and/or

4 originally designed and produced years ago [ vintage autos at least 20 years ago I believe ] and/or

5 still usable

but in reality it doesn't really matter, I don't think anyone is going to go after anyone over the disagreement
04-08-2020, 03:15 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
never took a poll or read one

but as I said, " vintage " to me means something with some of the following " features "

1 something no longer produced and/or

2 doesn't have the latest " features " and/or

3 designed for older systems and/or

4 originally designed and produced years ago [ vintage autos at least 20 years ago I believe ] and/or

5 still usable

but in reality it doesn't really matter, I don't think anyone is going to go after anyone over the disagreement
I have a hard time considering A series lenses to be vintage, though I suppose by now they are. All the Pentax AF lenses offer full functionality: open aperture metering, auto focus and focal length reporting which is why I don't see them as "vintage".
Depending on one's definition, all of the Pentax lenses prior to the DA and D FA series lenses are "vintage".
04-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a hard time considering A series lenses to be vintage, though I suppose by now they are. All the Pentax AF lenses offer full functionality: open aperture metering, auto focus and focal length reporting which is why I don't see them as "vintage".
Depending on one's definition, all of the Pentax lenses prior to the DA and D FA series lenses are "vintage".
and thus we politely agree to disagree

I hope

as I say

that is just my opinion

and of course, my opinion plus $ will buy coffee at the drive through

04-08-2020, 04:26 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
and thus we politely agree to disagree

I hope

as I say

that is just my opinion

and of course, my opinion plus $ will buy coffee at the drive through
Rather than just being polite and disagreeing, why don't you elucidate further on where, for you, is the dividing line in separating the long and distinguished line of Pentax lenses into vintage and modern?
I'll have a large Americano, double cream, no sugar.
04-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Rather than just being polite and disagreeing, why don't you elucidate further on where, for you, is the dividing line in separating the long and distinguished line of Pentax lenses into vintage and modern?
I'll have a large Americano, double cream, no sugar.
I thought I did

lenses developed for film as opposed to digital I think of as " vintage "

although with those lenses still being produced, I go with age such as the FA limiteds which were first produced '97, '99 and '01

just my thoughts of course
04-08-2020, 11:20 PM   #22

Original Poster
The simple answer is any Pentax mount AF lens.
That would be F series, FA series, DA series and D FA series lenses or their third party equivalent designations.

Most people wouldn't consider AF lenses to be "vintage".
Very helpful wheat field, I really appreciate your time and input.

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 11:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
Welcome to the forum. Loks like you have some advice to work with.
Some hours of reading to do mkgd1, looking forward to it. Thanks for the warm welcome.

04-09-2020, 07:29 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davy5toes Quote
Here's hoping one of you kind people can help me out. I've just been getting myself a Pentax k-5 along with an 18-50mm and 50-200mm weather resistant lenses. Needless to say both lenses lack in sharpness for landscapes which I primarily shoot.
Actually, if you have the 18-50, not an 18-55, even the cheap version is pretty sharp especially when stopped down to f8 or so. The 18-55 had several versions, and really only the original version has sharpness concerns when stopped down.

The better lenses are sharper, or render with more interesting characteristics, but this benefit isn't stark. The differences show up more at wider apertures. Before running out to get new lenses, I'd post some shots here with the exif data intact. This will allow us to provide input and help determine what your next step might be.

For example if you are shooting without a tripod at higher ISO and nearly wide open aperture and/or slower shutter speeds, then your issue may be technique. If you don't have our don't use a hood, then contrast can get washed out. There are a lot of possible culprits.
04-09-2020, 07:51 AM   #24
Pentaxian

If it's got AF then it isn't vintage.
04-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I think that's a terribly narrow view of older lenses. Some af lenses are older than the photographers using them. The rendering of early af lenses is more similar to the last generation of manual focus than to modern lenses.
04-09-2020, 07:56 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Is a manual lens from 2019 more or less vintage than a 1985 AF Minolta lens?
04-09-2020, 07:57 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Exactly!
04-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Instant vintage or vintage by design?
04-09-2020, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #29
Pentaxian

Some A/F P&S cameras on a certain on-line auction site are described as vintage, and much more is described as 'Retro', but in the days when we could go shopping, it always used to amuse me to find items I recalled owning in my childhood being sold as antiques !
04-09-2020, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Actually, if you have the 18-50, not an 18-55, even the cheap version is pretty sharp especially when stopped down to f8 or so. The 18-55 had several versions, and really only the original version has sharpness concerns when stopped down.

The better lenses are sharper, or render with more interesting characteristics, but this benefit isn't stark. The differences show up more at wider apertures. Before running out to get new lenses, I'd post some shots here with the exif data intact. This will allow us to provide input and help determine what your next step might be.

For example if you are shooting without a tripod at higher ISO and nearly wide open aperture and/or slower shutter speeds, then your issue may be technique. If you don't have our don't use a hood, then contrast can get washed out. There are a lot of possible culprits.
Some very wise words uncle Vanya. Unfortunately I won't be able to shoot anything due to current climate and haven't had chance to take any before the crisis as I've only just got the camera. I really appreciate your reply and wise words uncle Ania.