Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #1

Vintage lens confusion

Here's hoping one of you kind people can help me out. I've just been getting myself a Pentax k-5 along with an 18-50mm and 50-200mm weather resistant lenses. Needless to say both lenses lack in sharpness for landscapes which I primarily shoot. My question is this.....which vintage lenses fit onto the k-5 which allow auto focus?......I'm completely confused by all what I read online and with utmost respect to vintage lens users but I think they tend to talk about these lenses as if everyone knows about these lenses as much as them. I would be extremely grateful if someone would be kind enough to respond to my question ideally in layman's terms. I'm sure this question has cropped up in the past but being new to the site I wouldn't know where to start looking. Kindest regards to all.

04-08-2020, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have found these charts to be helpful
QuoteQuote:
Pentax Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2018 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.
Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering.
The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

QuoteQuote:
In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article. Read more about specific K-mount lens/camera compatibility here.

The DLSR designation below encompasses the mirror-less K-01.
Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

as well as the " in depth " and " user " reviews you can find under " Lenses " above

this tool might be of interest:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Lens Search
This page allows you to search our genuine Pentax Lens Database and current third-party lenses based on specific criteria that you select. Links to user reviews, specifications, and in-depth reviews (if available) are included for each lens. You can also check lens compatibility

Read more at: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com
04-08-2020, 10:12 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davy5toes Quote
which vintage lenses fit onto the k-5 which allow auto focus?
Hi,

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Your question is a good one, as there are many lenses in the various Pentax lines. Depending on your definition of 'vintage', the lenses in the 'Pentax-F' and 'Pentax-FA' series should be of interest; they allow autofocus on your K-5.

There is a lot of information available in the world's most comprehensive Pentax Lens database: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Images and discussions on specific lens series may be found in the Lens Club section, for example: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/39866-f-club.html

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-08-2020 at 10:21 AM.
04-08-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, hope you find answers quickly here on the forum

04-08-2020, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I have found these charts to be helpful

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart

Pentax K-Mount Lenses Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

as well as the " in depth " and " user " reviews you can find under " Lenses " above

this tool might be of interest:

Read more at: Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com
Many many thanks aslyfox, your reply is very much appreciated.

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 10:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Hi,

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

Your question is a good one, as there are many lenses in the various Pentax lines. Depending on your definition of 'vintage', the lenses in the 'Pentax-F' and 'Pentax-FA' series should be of interest; they allow autofocus on your K-5.

There is a lot of information available in the world's most comprehensive Pentax Lens database: Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Images and discussions on specific lens series may be found in the Lens Club section, for example: The F Club! - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
Very very interesting Craig, I've learnt more in the 10 minutes reading your replies than a week on the internet. Again I thank you immensely craig

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 10:29 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, hope you find answers quickly here on the forum
Thanks kerrowdown I'm sure I will. People have kindly replied and helped me no end.
04-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I've learned something as well - I had always thought that 'Vintage Lenses' referred solely to those with manual focus and no lens/camera communication.
04-08-2020, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the OP asks for opinions on what lenses to get
there will probably be lots of advice on how to spend the OP's money

these threads might be of interest, assuming you have some time to read through them

Pentax * lenses do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 6 - PentaxForums.com

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I've learned something as well - I had always thought that 'Vintage Lenses' referred solely to those with manual focus and no lens/camera communication.
I tend to think of " vintage " lenses as those developed for film

some of which are still being produced today

but that is just my opinion

and of course, my opinion plus $ will buy coffee at the drive through

Last edited by aslyfox; 04-08-2020 at 03:20 PM.
04-08-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote

I tend to think of " vintage " lenses as those developed for film

some of which are still being produced today

but that is just my opinion

and of course, my opinion plus $ will buy coffee at the drive through
I'll happily buy you a coffee as soon as I can get to somewhere that sells reasonable coffee - but you'll have to pay your own air fare to the UK.
04-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I'll happily buy you a coffee as soon as I can get to somewhere that sells reasonable coffee - but you'll have to pay your own air fare to the UK.
thanks I'll send you a pm when I arrange that
04-08-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Out of curiosity, does one need autofocus for landscapes? They don't move around a lot. Manual focus SMC Pentax M and A lenses are more plentiful, since they were produced for a longer time. That makes them less expensive too. Also, there is a larger variety to choose from. Just my two cents, which you are getting for free.
04-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome! So, as a quick piece of advice in addition to what's been said, a lot of older third-party lenses (Tokina/Tamron/Pentax) tend to mention "AF" somewhere on the name or barrel, since it was a good selling point back then
Personal recommendation: a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 can be had for little money (about a hundred € or USD, give or take). Sure, slightly more than most vintage "kit" 50mm f/1.7 (or whereabouts - Other brands made f/1.8 or f/1.9 lenses) AF variants, which are still excellent, but the difference won't be *a lot*, and you will get a lot of bang for your buck; to me it was my "one and only" lens for landscape on my K-7.
04-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Welcome! So, as a quick piece of advice in addition to what's been said, a lot of older third-party lenses (Tokina/Tamron/Pentax) tend to mention "AF" somewhere on the name or barrel, since it was a good selling point back then
Personal recommendation: a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 can be had for little money (about a hundred € or USD, give or take). Sure, slightly more than most vintage "kit" 50mm f/1.7 (or whereabouts - Other brands made f/1.8 or f/1.9 lenses) AF variants, which are still excellent, but the difference won't be *a lot*, and you will get a lot of bang for your buck; to me it was my "one and only" lens for landscape on my K-7.
I had the tamron 17-50 on my canon a few years ago and you're right it's a cracking lens. Comes in quite expensive even in the used market, cheapest I can find a used one is £199
04-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's hoping one of you kind people can help me out. I've just been getting myself a Pentax k-5 along with an 18-50mm and 50-200mm weather resistant lenses. Needless to say both lenses lack in sharpness for landscapes which I primarily shoot. My question is this.....which vintage lenses fit onto the k-5 which allow auto focus?......I'm completely confused by all what I read online and with utmost respect to vintage lens users but I think they tend to talk about these lenses as if everyone knows about these lenses as much as them. I would be extremely grateful if someone would be kind enough to respond to my question ideally in layman's terms. I'm sure this question has cropped up in the past but being new to the site I wouldn't know where to start looking. Kindest regards to all.
The easiest way for you to find AF lenses is through our lens search tool:

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

That said, the most viable upgrade path for your current lenses would be something else modern, such as the DA 16-85mm to replace the 18-55mm, and the 55-300mm to replace the 50-200mm. Premium alternatives to both would be the 16-50mm and 60-250mm star lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The easiest way for you to find AF lenses is through our lens search tool:

Pentax Lens Search | PentaxForums.com

That said, the most viable upgrade path for your current lenses would be something else modern, such as the DA 16-85mm to replace the 18-55mm, and the 55-300mm to replace the 50-200mm. Premium alternatives to both would be the 16-50mm and 60-250mm star lenses.
Many thanks for your input Adam, very much appreciated
04-08-2020, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's hoping one of you kind people can help me out. I've just been getting myself a Pentax k-5 along with an 18-50mm and 50-200mm weather resistant lenses. Needless to say both lenses lack in sharpness for landscapes which I primarily shoot. My question is this.....which vintage lenses fit onto the k-5 which allow auto focus?.......
The simple answer is any Pentax mount AF lens.
That would be F series, FA series, DA series and D FA series lenses or their third party equivalent designations.

Most people wouldn't consider AF lenses to be "vintage".