Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Film guy & collector looking forward to Pentax

1st post here. I chose my username as a means to indicate that I am not a full bore one equipment person. My Pentax that I have is the LX (with a still functioning mirror) and the lowly Auto110 which BTW is an awesome small SLR. I also have a Hassy with 60mm and 3 Nikons: 8008, FM2n, and an old F with a s/n 64xxxx. If you know about Nikon F's the 64 S/N will have meaning, if not then it doesn't matter. I just happen to believe that one must use different tools for different jobs.

I'm somewhat a longtime lurker on this and other photo forums
If you check my profile I've got plenty of cameras - mostly film based.

Used to do darkroom stuff all the time - threw all the chemical stuff away recently, kept my GraLab timer and possibly other stuff.

Used to do weddings on the side - hence the Hassy & Bronica and used the Nikon 8008 as a backup and for candids. Also have the mother of all flashes - Metz 60Ct along with a Metz 45CT (hassy brand). I still love the look and feel of the square format - no need to decide "should I shoot vert or horiz?" Too heavy though, for now I bring my camera mostly for family, travel shooting and whatever my eye sees. Now, if I use the Hassy, its for formal portraiture and landscapes.

I love to collect cameras. I somehow love the old fashioned manual camera stuff - Nikon F, Rangefinders (Oly XA,Petri 35, Canon QL17, Rollei 35) - however I collect with the caveat that I must shoot with it every now and then. I don't believe in keeping my cameras in its box unused.

My digital cameras have all been P&S - from the Nikon 900 (1 megapixel back in '96!) to now a Canon PowerShot SD700 IS.

I long ago acquired a Pentax LX - this was before the K10d came out. My LX came with a 28 2.8m, 50 1.7m, 70-210 3.5 Series 1, and 28-90 Series 1. I've been eyeing the K10 ever since it came out since it can use my old manual k mount lenses with SR to boot!

I've been holding back on getting a digital SLR as I felt that it still had some time to mature. I was initially going to get a D70. Glad I waited. I see the k200 and k2000. Wow.

Since my digital stuff has been P&S I'm somewhat interested in the K2000 or K-m. But... the K200d's weather sealing may sway me to it. I may just get the K2000 and who knows, I'll eventually get swayed to the K20. The 31, 43, 77 primes have me somewhat interested in the Pentax Digitals.

Anyways, I'm here to learn and hopefully also to provide. When I do get my Pentax digital SLR, I'll be sure to post more. Maybe folks here can convince me which one suits my needs.

10-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
krs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I don't have the background and history that you apparently do, but I looked at DSLRs with interest until I jumped on the K100D. I liked it so much, I then bought the K10D.

I have been very happy with both!
10-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you still have both the K10 and the K100?

I'm debating between the upcoming K2000, the K200d, and possibly the K10d. I'm figuring I'd use it more for traveling and because of this i'd love to get my hands on the K2000 to see how it feels and weighs.

Right now, regardless of which body I get, I'd probably get the 18-250. Again for travel reasons. But i still need to research the lenses. I find I use WA (28/35mm in FF 35) quite a bit during my picture taking. But would love to have the ability to go long in one lens. I'll probably use the 18-55 kit lens 1st to see what my habits would be then decide from there.