Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2020, 01:23 PM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and knowledge here

[ and a lot of members willing to advise you ]

as was posted earlier, the more you can detail your photographic interests, the more targeted the advice will be

have you seen this article yet ?

QuoteQuote:
Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test
Which DA lenses cover the full 24x36 mm frame?
By PF Staff in Gear Guides on Jan 7, 201

In response to the many requests regarding which DA lenses cover the 24x36 mm full frame format ("FF") we have tested almost all DA lenses with a Pentax K-1 under similar circumstances. We are happy to finally be able to present the full results.
A few DA lenses officially support full frame as stated by Ricoh/Pentax. Those lenses are:
DA* 200mm F2.8
DA* 300mm F4
DA 560mm F5.6

For all the other lenses which we have tested the FF coverage presented in the table below is based on our subjective evaluation of a very large number of test images taken at various apertures, focus settings, and zoom settings, as appropriate. It is highly personal how much vignetting, how much drop in resolution, or how much optical distortion is acceptable, so your mileage may vary. We welcome feedback on our evaluation, but please include photo evidence with any such feedback . . . .

Read more at: Full Frame Coverage of DA Lenses: Comprehensive Test - Gear Guides | PentaxForums.com

this is also an excellent chart to review:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-Mount Lens Series Explained: The differences between various Pentax lens series

In a nutshell

There are several series of Pentax K-mount lenses; the ones currently being produced include the DA (digital), DA L (cheap digital kit), D FA (full-frame, digital optimized), and FA (full-frame) series. While all Pentax K-mount lenses ever produced are compatible with all current Pentax DSLRs (in some cases with restrictions in that not all exposure modes of the camera are supported by old lenses), there are significant differences between each lens series and each has different features. Furthermore some of the newer lenses do not work with older cameras. We'll be exploring the differences between the various K-mount series lenses in this article
https://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

05-07-2020, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

If you're looking for quality used FF glass, keh.com right now has a terrific selection of some of the best glass from the film era. They've got the FA* 28-70 2.8 and FA* 80-200 f2.8 for around $500. These are lenses that come pretty close to holding their own with modern glass. I shoot with a combination of DFA zooms and older lenses from the film era, and that works very well, at least for landscape photography. The older film era lenses may give up a little in terms of technical excellence, but the images that can be derived from them often have something special and unique that can't be matched with generically excellent lenses of today. Other than expensive specialty lenses, what Nikon and Canon mainly offer that Pentax doesn't have is a trio of f4 zooms. Pentax only has the DFA 70-210 f4. But neither Canon nor NIkon have in their line-ups a compact, relatively inexpensive standard variable aperture zoom that's quite as good as the Pentax DFA 28-105. Who needs f4 if you're shooting landscapes? The only real hole in the Pentax FF line-up as on the ultra-wide side, where the DFA 15-30 is the only readily available option with AF.
05-07-2020, 03:25 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lowmjac2 Quote
Like the title suggests, I just recently impulse bought a K-1 for one hell of a deal. After purchasing and doing some research about lens availability, it seems my options are more limited with Pentax for full frame lens options. I'm somewhat of a casual photographer and it seems like I'm limited to either expensive first hand Pentax glass (DFA 24-70 2.8, DFA* 70-200 2.8), or older full frame 3rd party glass (Tamron 27-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8). Are there many future prospects for full frame lens options, both Pentax and 3rd party? Even if the prospects exists, will they be worth the first hand price tag vs ditching Pentax and going Canon/Nikon while buying used modern glass? I'm interested in your thoughts.
If you're a casual photographer, I think you could shoot for the next fifteen years with just your K-1 and say, the DFA 28-105, taking great pictures. Add a flash if you like.

I'm sure all of us would be happy to look at your portfolio or Instagram or whatever to make specific recommendations based on your skill level and interests, if you post the links.

Last edited by clackers; 05-07-2020 at 06:19 PM.
05-07-2020, 03:46 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are there many future prospects for full frame lens options, both Pentax and 3rd party?
No. But let me caution you that's also true for future 3rd party lenses for Nikon and Canon non-mirrorless bodies. At least that's true for Sigma.

Even if the prospects exists, will they be worth the first hand price tag vs ditching Pentax and going Canon/Nikon while buying used modern glass? I'm interested in your thoughts.
I'd love to see a cost analysis and a comparison across the "modern 3rd party lens" and existing older lenses and modern Pentax lenses.

My overall answer is it depends on what's important to you. The image quality of older vs newer lenses isn't just "newer is so much better" there's more nuance to it.

Used full frame setups can be had more cheaply using more modern 3rd party glass. Do you like mirrorless? If not Pentax is the most likely to continue supporting DSLRs but at a snail's pace. Make a chart with the things you love about the K-1 and Pentax ecosystem, then compare against alternatives.

One more caution, if you switch from Pentax your friends will ask to borrow your gear more often... lol. I prefer to have my buddies unaware of the stellar gear I have.

05-07-2020, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh and if you absolutely have to sell the K-1 you may want to do so on the marketplace here on the forum.
05-07-2020, 04:17 PM - 1 Like   #21
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

And as @Northcoastgreg mentioned there are amazing film era lenses that are autofocus and still kick butt on the K-1. The FA* 80-200 he mentions is such an amazing jewel in my opinion. Possibly my favorite lens on my K-1 and loved on my KP. Lots of cool lenes available and with the K-1's low light, high ISO capabilities. 2.8 should not be the only deciding factor in your lens search, but the other characteristics versus price maybe.
05-07-2020, 04:29 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To the OP: buying a K-1 will only be a mistake if you want it to be.

As far as modern, high quality full frame glass goes, I currently have the following:

12/2.8 Fisheye
12/2.8
15~30/2.8
28~105/3.5-5.6
35/1.4
50/1.4
70~200/2.8
300/4.0
150~450/4.5-5.6

And a slew of special interest and legacy lenses, where the options in K-mount are broader than any other brand.

I spend more emotional energy worrying about which lenses to leave behind, rather than what I'm missing out on.
05-07-2020, 04:45 PM - 5 Likes   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I suspect this was a drive-by posting.

05-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
That's cool ...
There is a whole series of Zuiko lenses that can be adapted to K mount: Leitax For Pentax

I would like to get the 24mm shift, but they are going for more money than I want to spend. The 35 came cheap, so I picked it up, and so far I am impressed. Gotta get used to using the shift creatively now.

Like the title suggests, I just recently impulse bought a K-1 for one hell of a deal. After purchasing and doing some research about lens availability, it seems my options are more limited with Pentax for full frame lens options. I'm somewhat of a casual photographer and it seems like I'm limited to either expensive first hand Pentax glass (DFA 24-70 2.8, DFA* 70-200 2.8), or older full frame 3rd party glass (Tamron 27-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8). Are there many future prospects for full frame lens options, both Pentax and 3rd party? Even if the prospects exists, will they be worth the first hand price tag vs ditching Pentax and going Canon/Nikon while buying used modern glass? I'm interested in your thoughts.
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As others have indicated, if you want the widest possible range of

OEM and third party lenses, you're better off with Nikon or Canon. I don't personally think there'd be much (if any) advantage for your shooting, but there's certainly more gear to choose from, if that matters greatly to you.
For me, the cost of gear comparable to the focal lengths I already have would be far too expensive, and way outside my skill level.

Some of my most favorite lenses cost me very little. I picked up a couple Hanimex lenses in K mount at a thrift store for about $15. A 35mm f2.8 and a 135mm f2.8. I haven't used the 35 too much yet, but the 135 has seen a lot of use, especially on extension tubes. I got a 28mm f2.8 Sigma Mini Wide from @Jean Portiers for cheap, another of my favorites. It has been on my cameras more than any other lens I own I think. Most recently I picked up a Lester Dine 105mm f2.8 macro dental lens. Super sharp.

Lately I have been going for lenses with the A setting. That gives me complete control of the lens from the camera, allowing more attention for focusing, yet if I want to use the lens on extension tubes or a bellows, or reversed, I stil have the option to manipulate the aperture manually.

Given that I too got my K-1 at a reduced price, and I pay an average of about $100 each for lenses, I have a great kit and plenty of cash left over for other things, like beer and dinner out with Mrs. Racer 2.0.
05-07-2020, 06:19 PM - 3 Likes   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Come on everyone - nobody has yet mentioned that the K-1 allows all those K, M42, 645 & 6x7 lenses (along with countless 'specials' you can attach the camera to) to be stabilised. No expensive, bulky or limited focal length options for IS/VR lenses needed, simply switch the IBIS on... I won't bother mentioning Astrotracer, Anti-aliasing simulation, auto-horizon correction, composition adjustment and pixel shift as they're probably more advanced than most 'casual' photographers are likely to be interested in (despite a preference for f/2.8 zooms)!
05-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #26

Original Poster
Holy smokes there is a lot to digest here. Either I pinched a nerve or this is a very active community. Or both. Allow me to give some back story:

I've had a Pentax K-x for almost 10 yrs and absolutely loved it. I loved reading about how much better it was than it's rivals for the time and how Pentax continued to make a competitive dSLR even against the "Canon/Nikon industrial." I collected a small handful of DA lenses ranging from primes to kit zooms that I enjoyed, and I very much looked forward to the release of the K-1. Well life happened, priorities changed and I never picked up the K-1 nor looked into it. I kind of left photography by the side for years until in the midst of this COVID deal, I saw someone ditching their full frame Pentax K-1 for less than half the price of a new one. Skeptical yet hopeful I agreed to meet and inspect the camera in detail finding that it was in top condition, the seller just needed cash and was having trouble selling it locally because in her words, "nobody wanted a Pentax." So I picked it up, and have already impluse bought a handful of lenses. FA 50 1.4, Rokinon 20 1.8, Tamron 28-75, and 100mm WR macro. Still REALLY want the 43mm pixie dust and alens with some range. After purchasing all these lenses, and maybe I've watched too many YouTube videos, but there seems to be fear surrounding the future of Pentax, not to mention its FF lens offering. I'm not looking for the perfect glass, per se, I'm more interested in having flexibility and the options of old old or new new doesn't strike me as flexibility. I greatly appreciate all the input, I guess I'm trying to get a feel for where Pentax is at currently. Maybe it's fleeting buyers remorse. I'll have to do some more research on many of the lenses suggested. I feels good to know that there are people who own the K-1 who have a lot of confidence in it. I suppose the big takeaway is just to move forward and re-assess. I've only had the camera two weeks after all.
05-07-2020, 06:44 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Holy smokes there is a lot to digest here. Either I pinched a nerve or this is a very active community. Or both. Allow me to give some back story:

I've had a Pentax K-x for almost 10 yrs and absolutely loved it. I loved reading about how much better it was than it's rivals for the time and how Pentax continued to make a competitive dSLR even against the "Canon/Nikon industrial." I collected a small handful of DA lenses ranging from primes to kit zooms that I enjoyed, and I very much looked forward to the release of the K-1. Well life happened, priorities changed and I never picked up the K-1 nor looked into it. I kind of left photography by the side for years until in the midst of this COVID deal, I saw someone ditching their full frame Pentax K-1 for less than half the price of a new one. Skeptical yet hopeful I agreed to meet and inspect the camera in detail finding that it was in top condition, the seller just needed cash and was having trouble selling it locally because in her words, "nobody wanted a Pentax." So I picked it up, and have already impluse bought a handful of lenses. FA 50 1.4, Rokinon 20 1.8, Tamron 28-75, and 100mm WR macro. Still REALLY want the 43mm pixie dust and alens with some range. After purchasing all these lenses, and maybe I've watched too many YouTube videos, but there seems to be fear surrounding the future of Pentax, not to mention its FF lens offering. I'm not looking for the perfect glass, per se, I'm more interested in having flexibility and the options of old old or new new doesn't strike me as flexibility. I greatly appreciate all the input, I guess I'm trying to get a feel for where Pentax is at currently. Maybe it's fleeting buyers remorse. I'll have to do some more research on many of the lenses suggested. I feels good to know that there are people who own the K-1 who have a lot of confidence in it. I suppose the big takeaway is just to move forward and re-assess. I've only had the camera two weeks after all.
Enjoy your new camera. Welcome to the forum.
05-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #28
Pentaxian

We are quite active here - that's a great thing, as lots of info to go about.

Sounds like you've got a decent setup of lenses keeping you going for a while - I say just shoot and have fun for now! There are plenty of options for other glass around, but it'd be good to get to know what you find lacking as you go along - we're also pretty good here about helping other people spend their money...
05-07-2020, 08:26 PM - 3 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

I've shot extensively with the Sony A7II and I currently mostly shoot with a Fujifilm X-T3. I love mirrorless and the amazing AF in the new bodies. That being said I am keeping my K-1 as well as the three FA Limiteds. If they ever get around to releasing that new 85 1.2 I may get that too. I love my K-1!
05-07-2020, 09:01 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing is, if you are discerning about which FF lenses you own, you can use your K-1 and those lenses for — a very long time, whether Pentax stays around (it will) or not. I just recently sold my K10D that I bought in 2006 - it still works 14 years later. I’m quite certain my K-1 and KP will still be going strong in 10 years. I’ll be 75 - if they haven’t outlived me!!

It took me many years to accumulate new and legacy FF lenses but there is northing I need that isn’t here, and I could do with less..

Last edited by monochrome; 05-07-2020 at 10:25 PM.